The Student Room Group

)Further Maths AQA Help

Hi Guys,

I'm a Year 11 student (Just started Y11) and I have got my result for my GCSE result and I got and A*. As I took it in Year 10, my school is offering further maths. I had a couple of questions about this.

1) Could someone post a topic list so I know what to revise
2) Do I get any UCAS points or college points if I pass.
3) What is counted as a pass (Grade????)
4) Is it much harder than GCSE Maths.
5) Is it similar to AS Level maths.

Regards,

RKM21 - Any help would be greatly appreciated. !!!
Hello!
I did AQA Further Maths.
AQA maths is designed to 'smooth' the transition between GCSE and AS. It teaches you the fundamentals which is needed for AS maths e.g Calculus and Matricies.
I would say it is a lot harder than GCSE maths but easy to pass.
I got a C and we did the course for a few months and I never did anything in class :smile:

you get U, C, B,A,A* and A* with distinction :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by RKM21
Hi Guys,

I'm a Year 11 student (Just started Y11) and I have got my result for my GCSE result and I got and A*. As I took it in Year 10, my school is offering further maths. I had a couple of questions about this.

1) Could someone post a topic list so I know what to revise
2) Do I get any UCAS points or college points if I pass.
3) What is counted as a pass (Grade????)
4) Is it much harder than GCSE Maths.
5) Is it similar to AS Level maths.

Regards,

RKM21 - Any help would be greatly appreciated. !!!

Specification (topic list): http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-8360-W-SP.PDF

It's just like any other GCSE in-respect to points, but it's got more of a 'value' in terms of studying something much higher than GCSE.

A pass in this subject is a bit different to GCSE, the lowest grade is a C (and if you don't get a C you score a U) and this increases to B, A, A* and A^ (a-star distinction).

Yes:

It's quite similar, you cover more or less everything in AQA AS Pure Maths Core 1 (PC1) in terms of co-ordinate geometry, circles, factor theorem, surds and differentiation (it doesn't cover integration, quadratic inequalities, optimisation) - you also cover matrices but unless you're doing Further Maths you won't see them again after this.
Reply 3
Thanks sooo much!

Quick Reply

Latest