The Student Room Group

The British Empire is worst than the Nazi?

The Brits invented concentrations camps during the Boer Wars. We can't blame the Nazi for that.
The Brits though they had a god-given right to all the land of the world; 'a third of the world was pink'. Even using Australia as a mass prison while moving on/killing the aborigines. Is that worse than the Nazi idea of Lebensraum?

They also raped and killed women and children..
Both indoctrinated the average person to further the goals of the elite. IE Getting big men more power, money and worship.
An example of British brutality would be the utter destruction of Benin 1897 which resulted in all the cities goods being carried off to Europe as trophies. You may like to know that these have still not been returned to their rightful owners in contrast to things the Nazis carried off.

As is ever the case, the victors write history. Horrendous things were done by both but we can't forget the Brits did horrible stuff to.And the real sad thing is , they teach the kids growing up in school that it was all sunshine and they sat around a table and at dinner but they fail to mention how the Brits slaughtered my people)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

The British Empire invaded nearly every country in the world. This map shows the countries that they DIDN'T invade.

I always get amused when people in the UK accuse the US of getting involved in everything and starting wars. Like they don't even know the history of their own country. Almost all of British history is the British Empire starting wars and exploiting less advanced people. Be proud of your empire which was built on the exploitation of less fortunate people and starting wars with everyone who got in your way. Everyone at the time hated the British for a reason.

European colonialism is probably the main reason why Africa is as messed up as it is
Original post by MrAngel

The British Empire invaded nearly every country in the world. This map shows the countries that they DIDN'T invade.

damn thats pretty badass.
Reply 3
Original post by ChickenMadness
damn thats pretty badass.

Nothing to be proud of.
Reply 4
Original post by MrAngel
Nothing to be proud of.

It is pretty freakin' badass though
Reply 5
Original post by Asciant
It is pretty freakin' badass though

The british has left only 22 countries alone. ...Amazing how the sun never set on The British Empire....They took pride in conquering peoples of color around the globe for hundreds of years and now they are paying for those sins...I'm willing to bet that while they were busy being greedy meddling in the affairs of peoples of color it never ever ran across their minds that their homeland would become invaded by the countries that they were guilty of invading. Now they know how my ancestors must have felt hahaha.

Karma lol
Reply 6
Original post by MrAngel
The Brits invented concentrations camps during the Boer Wars. We can't blame the Nazi for that.
The Brits though they had a god-given right to all the land of the world; 'a third of the world was pink'. Even using Australia as a mass prison while moving on/killing the aborigines. Is that worse than the Nazi idea of Lebensraum?

They also raped and killed women and children..
Both indoctrinated the average person to further the goals of the elite. IE Getting big men more power, money and worship.
An example of British brutality would be the utter destruction of Benin 1897 which resulted in all the cities goods being carried off to Europe as trophies. You may like to know that these have still not been returned to their rightful owners in contrast to things the Nazis carried off.

As is ever the case, the victors write history. Horrendous things were done by both but we can't forget the Brits did horrible stuff to.And the real sad thing is , they teach the kids growing up in school that it was all sunshine and they sat around a table and at dinner but they fail to mention how the Brits slaughtered my people)

You seem to be blaming every British person, and really you shouldn't. I am British and played no part in any of these acts, should I be blamed?
Reply 7
Original post by MrAngel
The british has left only 22 countries alone. ...Amazing how the sun never set on The British Empire....They took pride in conquering peoples of color around the globe for hundreds of years and now they are paying for those sins...I'm willing to bet that while they were busy being greedy meddling in the affairs of peoples of color it never ever ran across their minds that their homeland would become invaded by the countries that they were guilty of invading. Now they know how my ancestors must have felt hahaha.

Karma lol

We're being invaded? No-one told me :confused:
british and the american governments are MUCH worse than the nazis
Reply 9
Original post by arson_fire
Yawn.

Most countries have colonised large parts of the world at some point - we just did it better. The Chinese, Arabs, French, Italians, Germans, Spanish, Belgians, Mongolians, Swedish, Austrians, Portuguese and many more have had large empires. Even India made it as far as Vietnam way back when.

Questionable behaviour is not limited to the british empire. Did you know that Benin made it`s wealth as a port for the slave trade long before any westerners arrived there? The native rulers of Benin were happily making around £1/4 million per year in the 1750s from selling their own people as slaves...........

When the Chinese refused to trade with "the barbaric western world", the British government smuggled opium into their territories and aspired to take over China a full, Self sufficient, and stable country. The government's of Europe with their (greed) aspired to rip China apart by funding rebellions, so they could have access to their valuable resources. Europe (primarily Britain) would like to justify their actions by taking the credit for building up an already great nation.
The British invaded most countries by force, raped them of there resources, kills hundreds of thousands of their people and tried to export their unwanted religious beliefs.
Reply 10
Original post by matthewduncan
british and the american governments are MUCH worse than the nazis

I agree with you :wink:
Original post by MrAngel
When the Chinese refused to trade with "the barbaric western world", the British government smuggled opium into their territories and aspired to take over China a full, Self sufficient, and stable country. The government's of Europe with their (greed) aspired to rip China apart by funding rebellions, so they could have access to their valuable resources. Europe (primarily Britain) would like to justify their actions by taking the credit for building up an already great nation.
The British invaded most countries by force, raped them of there resources, kills hundreds of thousands of their people and tried to export their unwanted religious beliefs.

China is also a pretty badass country
Reply 12
Original post by ChickenMadness
China is also a pretty badass country

China/Russia/India/US/=Most badass at the moment.
Are you saying the empire was a bad thing in all the countries it colonised?

I went to the small pacific Island called Vanuatu this year and they were full of praise for the British and French introducing Christianity and their culture. Before that they were practising cannibalism.
No, the Empire wasn't as bad as the Nazi's were. I'm not a fan of the Empire at all, but to make that statement is complete idiocy. We aren't taught that the British Empire was all sunshine, and if you were, that's a result of inadequate, biased teaching.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nazi's big evil crime is a lie.The Soviet Union was 100 x worse than the Nazi's and it was the Nazi's who were fighting against them remember?If you cared so much about human life, the British would have joined with Germany to defeat Communism.
Original post by MrAngel

Karma lol

Invasion? What invasion?
Reply 17
Original post by Nuvertion
Invasion? What invasion?

I mean multiculturalism sorry :smile:.
Original post by MrAngel

I always get amused when people in the UK accuse the US of getting involved in everything and starting wars. Like they don't even know the history of their own country. Almost all of British history is the British Empire starting wars and exploiting less advanced people. Be proud of your empire which was built on the exploitation of less fortunate people and starting wars with everyone who got in your way. Everyone at the time hated the British for a reason.

European colonialism is probably the main reason why Africa is as messed up as it is

If that were the case, former colonies such as India and Brazil would be struggling, but they're not. The reason Africa is as messed up as it is is because the climate does not lend itself well to agriculutre and there is widespread corruption and little education. To attribute the problems in Africa to colonialism is a vast oversimplification.

The consensus view among historians is that colonialism was both beneficial and damaging to the colonies. There is no such case for the benefits of Nazism. The British empire was no more ruthless than the Roman empire, the Ottoman empire or the Mongolian empire. But the fact that such a tiny country was able to dominate the world for 200 years and achieve pax britannica is indeed praiseworthy.
Every country has moments in history where they have done actions that are by today's standards appalling. I honestly think no country is better than another when it comes to past actions.

Latest

Trending

Trending