The Student Room Group

Please Help!!!

well.. i messed up in my first year of my AS year i got CDUU (U) in law, i am not retaking modules but re-sitting the whole AS year. As i have learnt my lesson now, and i know that i am capable of reciving the predictive grades needed to get in sheffield were i REALLY want to go!!. is their even a chance for me though? and what other unis will accept me if i have the grades? pleasee help!!! :frown: :frown: :confused:
how did you manage cduu?
Reply 2
messing around etc, i am sooo scared about appying for unis now!!, is their any hop at all???:frown:
Realistically, what do you think you are capable of getting? they're still low grades even for someone who messed around.

If you think you can meet the required grades then firstly you will need to check the uni's policy on retakes. There are only a few which will not allow them inc. KCL and manchester. But if you work hard then it shouldn't put you at too much of a disadvantage, I don't think its as bad as you think. good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Sit the AS and the A2s in one year... like me:biggrin:
Reply 5
my college wont bloody let me!! re-sit in the same year, thankyou littlepiggy person lol, i really hope to go to sheffield or leeds, any info if i am able to get into them after re-sitting AS year?
Reply 6
oh and because i am retaking the year, what is the correct name for it? so i know what to look for on tha unis policy?
Reply 7
The name is retaking a year I would imagine.

Why dont you email the admissions tutors, if they have a strict policy against it they will tell you.
Sometimes you have to be honest with yourself... as GLP has pointed out - that's some serious "messing about" to get yourself "U's" in 2 subjects!!! To be brutally honest I'd think about seriously reconsidering your future in its entirety. Some people are just not cut out for studying. I'd suggest that this possibly applies to you. I feel I am able to say that becasue 20 years ago it applied to ME. I would have gotten myself a handful of "U" grades too...

Tell me how you think you're going to do things differently in this coming year? Because I'll tell you something - you'll sure as anything be asked some pretty tough questions in interview as to WHY you did so miserably and you'd be well advised to have a better answer than "I messed around". I'd have given the same throwaway answer myself - "I can do better, I've just been messing around" - and I'd have done a bloody good job convincing myself that I could do better... but I wouldn't have done - cos my heart wasn't in it.

I honestly think you need to have a really honest look inside yourself - heart and mind - and ask yourslef if you're wasting YOUR time and the time of others. Would you perhaps not be better taking 2, 3, 4 or 5 (or even as many as 20) years out - knuckling down to some pretty menial work - maybe even work your way into a pretty decent position and never look back - or at worst, finally realise just what it is you want out of life; realise just what opportunity you have and then TAKE IT! Some people take a lot longer to "mature", to realise what it is they want - I don't know you and you might think it very condescending of me to make a snap judgement - but my gut feeling is you're not ready for serious academic studies yet... do something constructive until you ARE ready.

It's a sad fact that today we seem to groom EVERYBODY for university... O levels, A levels & a degree are the norm... I only have to look at the recruits coming into the fire service today... practically ALL have a degree... when I joined 15 years ago I didn't know a single person with a degree in the job - in actual fact, I do now know of ONE person who has been in my brigade longer than me who has a degree - but that ONE PERSON was the exception... Now, 90% (arbritary fiugre but not far wide of the mark) of those joining under 25 have a degree... but what have they done with it? Nothing - they've joined the fire brigade - a job that doesn't even require you to have a CSE let alone an O level - you simply pass the in-house aptitude test. University IS NOT and SHOULD NOT be the be all and end all of your life...
Reply 9
keish
well.. i messed up in my first year of my AS year i got CDUU (U) in law, i am not retaking modules but re-sitting the whole AS year. As i have learnt my lesson now, and i know that i am capable of reciving the predictive grades needed to get in sheffield were i REALLY want to go!!. is their even a chance for me though? and what other unis will accept me if i have the grades? pleasee help!!! :frown: :frown: :confused:

If you know you can do better then redo the year as most universities require alot higher grades for a law degree. However, some universities will not take you if you have done resets. Check with the uni's first before making any decisions.

Look at universities prospectus' to see what their grade requirements are and if they will take you with resits.

CDUU to the required grades to get into the universities is a big jump. Be honest with yourself and discuss with your teachers whether you are able to achieve what you want.

Didnt you ever do mock tests? If so how well did you do?

What grades did you get in the Janurary tests? If they were good grades then it may be worth retaking the summer ones (if you can).
Reply 10
Are you POSITIVE that your grades are a result of you messing about for a year... because as Fireman John said, that would take some serious mucking about.

Sheffield will want AAA. That's their standard offer. You will need AS grades that can at least be brought up to that standard... so you'll need at least ABBC in my opinion... and even then its not guarentee you'll get AAA at A level.

I suggest you aim slightly lower... keep Sheffield as your first choice, but also look at some unis you'd like to go to that offer lower grades because to be brutally honest, you'd have to have done no work or gone to no lessons at all or not even turnd up fpr the exam to come away with those grades if you're actually capable of AAAA
Reply 11
^^ I agree. A straight A student wouldn't come out with those grades. AAAA or AAA takes work and you have to be determined and really want it.
Reply 12
Exactly, a lot and I mean a lot of hours were spent getting AAA. I think to the majority of people, good grades are only achievable when one puts their heart and mind into their work, and lets nothing get in the way of that.

Latest

Trending

Trending