The Student Room Group

A2 Level Trigonometry

I'm stuck on 21 & 22, you have to prove it using compound and double angle formulae and trig identities and magic. If someone knows how to do it I would be eternally grateful. Thanks for your help.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Ok for #21.

Express the whole thing in terms of cos theta.
Reply 2
Original post by Old_Simon
Ok for #21.

Express the whole thing in terms of cos theta.

How do you do that?
Original post by kcorbins
How do you do that?

Well sin^4 theta = sin^2 theta times sin^2 theta. So what is that in terms of cos ?

(this is the very first trig identity you are meant to know).
Reply 4
Well sin^4 theta = sin^2 theta times sin^2 theta. So what is that in terms of cos ?

(this is the very first trig identity you are meant to know).

Oh 1-cos^2, then what do you do?
Oh 1-cos^2, then what do you do?

Well rewrite it now using that identity and have another think about the next step.
Reply 6
Well rewrite it now using that identity and have another think about the next step.

Multiply it out?
Multiply it out?

yup

now think about the rhs too.
I think for 21 the most direct approach is to note that:

a2+b2=(a+b)22aba^2+b^2 = (a+b)^2-2ab

and use a suitable choice of a,ba,b to form the LHS of the identity. The RHS then simplifies to something that can be worked into the desired form via the double angle formulae.
Reply 9
yup

now think about the rhs too.

So you get 1 - 2cos^2(-) + 2cos^4(-), I don't know what to think about next.
Original post by atsruser
I think for 21 the most direct approach is to note that:

a2+b2=(a+b)22aba^2+b^2 = (a+b)^2-2ab

and use a suitable choice of a,ba,b to form the LHS of the identity. The RHS then simplifies to something that can be worked into the desired form via the double angle formulae.

That is really neat thank you.
Reply 11
That is really neat thank you.

I haven't tried that technique, but it's a proof question so you need to go from one equation to the next using proofs, how does this do that?
I haven't tried that technique, but it's a proof question so you need to go from one equation to the next using proofs, how does this do that?

I definitely agree with atsruser with regards to 21. Although you do have to be good at recognising when you can use the identities.

Spoiler

For 22, have you come across de Moivres theorem? If not, then you will have to do it the long way. So use the relevant identities on sin(3θ)cos(3θ)\frac{sin(3\theta)}{cos(3\theta)}. Once you have this, you need to divide both the top and bottom by something to get it in the required form.
(edited 9 years ago)

Yes but going from one to the other is the proof. That is what you need to do.
The guy gave you a fantastic direct route.
Reply 14
, ok I understand this, what next? turn the first bit into 1?
, ok I understand this, what next? turn the first bit into 1?

Yeah, so the first thing that stands out is that the first bit is 1. Then, can you notice any similarities between the second bit and the expression for sin2θsin2\theta?
Reply 16
sin2(-)=2sin(-)cos(-), so I guess 2sin^2(-)cos^2(-) is equivalent to (1/2sin2(-))^2?
sin2(-)=2sin(-)cos(-), so I guess 2sin^2(-)cos^2(-) is equivalent to (1/2sin2(-))^2?

Yeah.
Reply 18
Original post by brittanna
Yeah.

So what do you do with that?
So what do you do with that?

Sorry, it should be 12sin2(2θ)\frac{1}{2}sin^2(2\theta), not (12sin(2θ))2(\frac{1}{2}sin(2\theta))^2.

Quick Reply

Latest