The Student Room Group

Dont know what to do with myself

Basically:

Im an introverted guy that doesnt have alot of friends.

I met a girl over the internet in January, we started talking, got to really like each other and now have well over 100k messages to each other on facebook and have had a good few hundreds of hours of calls.

Met her a few times and have really fell for her. We live about 2 hours apart.

But

Shes going to uni in a few days.

We are going to stop talking once she goes (I suggested, I dont think its fair on her - I think she should get to live the studenty life without anyone holding her back/demanding her time)

I dont know what to do with myself. I have hardly any friends and dont do anything in my spare time besides study. She was (as sad as it sounds) the only thing I had to make me feel happy. I suppose Ill feel a bit better knowing she is happy where she is, but I cant help but get depressed over what Ill be without her.

I know Ill feel incredibly lonely without her, I dont have any real friends at school :frown:

Also, does anyone have ideas on something nice I can do for her before she goes (I cant see her in person again)? She really means alot to me and Id like to show her that somehow
Reply 1
Ah this is a hard situation to be in. I think the only thing you can do is be honest with her. Tell her that you really like her and would really like to keep chatting ect but you understand that she will be busy and so on.
I dont think there is any point saying you are going to stop talking, just see how it goes. Why put a forced ending on something??
You should write her a letter telling her how you feel, send it on nice paper in a nice envelope. Just dont make it a sob story about you. Just give her the facts so she can make her own choice if it will carry on or not. You have nothing to lose.
Reply 2
It sounds hard, I know, but you can't let a person be your only source of happiness. It's far too fragile and dangerous. Keep in contact every so often, but find other passions. I'm introverted just like you so I can understand how hard this must seem but it really needn't be. Travel, take up a hobby, start saying 'yes' to things you normally wouldn't and you might find something that'll make you just as happy (or near about).
Reply 3
Original post by squealia
Ah this is a hard situation to be in. I think the only thing you can do is be honest with her. Tell her that you really like her and would really like to keep chatting ect but you understand that she will be busy and so on.
I dont think there is any point saying you are going to stop talking, just see how it goes. Why put a forced ending on something??
You should write her a letter telling her how you feel, send it on nice paper in a nice envelope. Just dont make it a sob story about you. Just give her the facts so she can make her own choice if it will carry on or not. You have nothing to lose.

Continuing to talk isnt an option Im afraid. Its not fair on either of us to keep it going.

Original post by klipsan
It sounds hard, I know, but you can't let a person be your only source of happiness. It's far too fragile and dangerous. Keep in contact every so often, but find other passions. I'm introverted just like you so I can understand how hard this must seem but it really needn't be. Travel, take up a hobby, start saying 'yes' to things you normally wouldn't and you might find something that'll make you just as happy (or near about).

Yeah I see now that it is. The problem is that I dont have the opportunities to say 'yes' to, I just sorta sit in my room and do work all night... She was the only person I spoke to, so Im concerned that Ill be ridiculously lonely without her.
Reply 4
Original post by DavidJames96

Yeah I see now that it is. The problem is that I dont have the opportunities to say 'yes' to, I just sorta sit in my room and do work all night... She was the only person I spoke to, so Im concerned that Ill be ridiculously lonely without her.

Are you earning? Is it possible to save up a little cash and go travelling by yourself? Even somewhere as simple as Scotland or something. You'd be utterly surprised by your confidence level when you're by yourself in a strange place where there's no chance of meeting someone you know. I'm very introverted but when I travel, I hitchhike. You meet tons of strangers every day; some nice, some weird, some that offer you opportunities. Couchsurf as well- another amazing way to find opportunities. It's all about creating your own adventure and giving the ball a little nudge- without any more input from you, it's already rolling and you're just consumed in a different world.
Also a great way to get over heartbreak or move on from something!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending