The Student Room Group

New year 11's? I just finished GCSE's

Any questions? I'm happy to answer :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sultanan09
Any questions? I'm happy to answer :smile:

Which subjects did you take and what grade did you attain in them?
Guys just finished too! Please for your sake go about GCSE's in the right way. By this I mean do the work and get most of the syllabus complete! But don't stress too much as they're only GCSE's; however they shouldn't be taken lightly, I was predicted an A* or A for every subject and did shockingly..7A's 2B's and a C. Have fun, party, but when it's time to work do it and get sick grades!
Reply 3
I am going into Year 11, next week. Can't believe how quick the summer has gone. :frown:

How did you cope with those days where you had more than one exam?

Which term was the most difficult (Most work, mocks and deadlines)?

How early did you start revising for your exams (mocks and real ones)?

Did you relax during the first few weeks or first month of Year 11 or did you start working straight away?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by STUDYREVISE
Hi :smile:
So, I am going into year 11 next week and am wondering, what is the best way to revise for your GCSE's, the do's and the don'ts. Is there anything you regret about year 11 at all?
Any motivation for when your procrastinating or just feeling too lazy to work?

I could go on forever. First of all, I do regret things. A LOT of things not because i got bad grades but because I was stressed over the WHOLE summer for my results and it's literally the worst feeling. I am like the procrastination queen(people thought i studied day and night) but in reality I just stared at the wall(that is very pretty :smile: ) Motivation I can give you is you don't want to be resitting and you want to have a stress-free holiday, trust me it feels good when you can sleep all day and then DO NOTHING.

Also, GCSE's aren't the biggest deal, but for sure they're important, so try your best.

Do's:
Do your homework.
Listen in class and ask questions!!!!!(you wont have to study at home.)
Don't rely on your teachers, some I had were really bad and my whole class had to learn everything themselves.
Don't moan about it, I did that and it didnt help.
Don't stress because it just makes things harder and makes you more prone to forget things and make mistakes(silly ones)
Have fun, year 11 is one year to remember!

Dont's:
Don't get into a bad sleeping routine.
Get the best grade possible in coursework, it boosts your grade.
Night before the exam get good sleep, eat porridge in the morning and chocolate straight before the exam.
Don't cram the information! It wont be thaaaat much to remember but it is quite a bit so just make sure you learn it. :smile:
Make notes or either make flash cards or something.
DO NOT TRY TO MEMORISE MATHS... UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPTS INSTEAD. I had a really good teacher so message me if you need specific help.

That's all for now I have much more that i will let you know later on, but go into class(awake, unlike me i looked like a zombie on a good day) and learn!
Good luck and I wish you every success now and in the future!!:smile::smile::smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Grade
I am going into Year 11, next week. Can't believe how quick the summer has gone. :frown:

Did you relax during the first few weeks or first month of Year 11 or did you start working straight away?

It was soooo hard when i had more than one exam, because i was chosen to do triple science so i had more work that most people. I had a bottle of water and had to suck it up! It was very hard i had 16 exams and there were like three on one day. Just keep hydrated and calm.

I didnt even revise for mocks. the last term i guess because some classes the teacher left coursework late.

I didnt revise for mocks as i said and the real exam i did like a few days before maybe three days depending on what i had the next day. I told myself id start in january but that didnt happen :frown:

I relaxed ALL THE WAY haha people thought i studied like crazy but i didnt until the week before. big no no

Good luck i wish you every success!
Reply 6
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Which subjects did you take and what grade did you attain in them?

I did:
Maths-A*
English language-A*
English literature-A*
Religious Studies- A*
Core science- A
Additional science- A
Further additional science- A
Geography-A*
Statistics-A
French-B
OCR ICT- 2 distinctions
Reply 7
Wow! Well done! :smile: :smile:

thanks! couldve done better especially in french
Did you regret any of your GCSE choices? I'm going into year 11 and hate 3 of mine.
Reply 9
I got a B in French this year too, 3 UMS away from an A.
Do you think I should ask for a remark and do you think it'll go up?
unit 1 - c :frown:
unit 2 - a :smile:
unit 3 - a* :smile:
unit 4 - b :frown:

overall B. :frown:

i dont know much about french but ask!
Reply 10
Original post by callum623
Did you regret any of your GCSE choices? I'm going into year 11 and hate 3 of mine.

French and stats(kinda)
Original post by Grade
I am going into Year 11, next week. Can't believee how quick the summer has gone. :frown:

Hey! Just finished year 11 here :smile: I got 5A*s 4As and a B (****ing french)

1. Well I had that situation twice with both days amounting to 3 hourscof constant exams each. Tbh, it's no too bad, you kinda get an exam 'mode' that you can switch on when it's time to shine :smile: but hand cramps, yeah, they exiwt and I swear I lost atleast 15 mins of history time from stretching :lol:

Exam seadon aint bad, worst was during january for me, having to do every C/A for English language a french C/A 3 science C/As and P.E. I worked harder then than exam season by allot. I only tried in science for mockscand even then it was night before revision.

I'd say one month before max anything more and your wasting your own time e.g tou might get a couple ums more butvnothing significant. Even a month is too much if you understood throughout the year. E.g for me I could spend 2 hours on my triple science chemistry exam and get an A* but it'd take 2 days for physics and a week for history and wuprisingly history I didn't ANY attentiob throughout the year while chemistry I was basically at a peak throughout. Most exams I did night before revision even though I supposedly started in april :rolleyes: so don't be discouraged if your in a similar position, I came out with good -ok by tsr standards :lol: grades

I was doing push up challenges in french and making paper airplanes in history -_- suprisingly I only got a B in french and an A for history, as lomg as you make sure you understand every lesson you'll be fine in the end( I didn't do this for rrench and history and theyvwere myvmost consistently lower grades)

Biggest advice is make sure your C/As are at the grade or grade below your target grad. If i had done this for french i would have gotvatleast an A and an A* in thistory.plus, i got virtuallyvfull ums for english langulanguage but I thought I was bad at english so didn't try on my C/As and had a B in that so ended up with an A :frown: make sure you understand everything throughout the year.i obeyed this diligently inyear 11 for science and they were the easiest A*s to get by far.
(edited 9 years ago)
any questions? I'm happy to answer :smile:

can you please give the best advice you can think of ever for us gcse students? I need motivation
Reply 13
Original post by patronusleviosa
can you please give the best advice you can think of ever for us gcse students? I need motivation

Of course!! look above at that advice and tell me anything else youd like to know
I did:
Maths-A*
English language-A*
English literature-A*
Religious Studies- A*
Core science- A
Additional science- A
Further additional science- A
Geography-A*
Statistics-A
French-B
OCR ICT- 2 distinctions

Well Done:biggrin:

What are your tips for Englihs? They're my weakest subjects atm
Reply 15
Well Done:biggrin:

What are your tips for Englihs? They're my weakest subjects atm

Well...for language depends on the exam board i did AQA IGCSE and basically you need to practice have a checklist of what each question entails.
For lit make sure you know the text thoroughly and i just read over my notes and DO A PLAN IN THE EXAM!!! We had poetry which was unseen and we were just taught how to approach them e.g. how it makes the reader feel etc. USE QUOTESS
thanks! couldve done better especially in french

you done this all by revising a week before??? i guess you listened a lot in class
Reply 17
Original post by patronusleviosa
you done this all by revising a week before??? i guess you listened a lot in class

I did listen haha and made notes so it went into my brain. most of the time my classes were a joke though. some teachers were amazing others were crap. i did most of my homework
Well...for language depends on the exam board i did AQA IGCSE and basically you need to practice have a checklist of what each question entails.
For lit make sure you know the text thoroughly and i just read over my notes and DO A PLAN IN THE EXAM!!! We had poetry which was unseen and we were just taught how to approach them e.g. how it makes the reader feel etc. USE QUOTESS

Thanks a lot:biggrin:
Reply 19
Thanks a lot:biggrin:

What exam board are you doing?

I made notes in class(for lit) and read the play again so I was clear on it and then we did practice exam questions in the time limit.
Use this method:
P- point(topic sentence and statement your making)
E- evidence(use a quote)
E- explain(explain the point)
L- link(link to other point or connect to another point)
E- effect on the reader(what does the writer try to do and what emotions do they try to make us feel)

For the unseen poetry:

I prepared by asking questions for example how does the poem make you feel etc.
Mood-How are the feelings in the
Voice-who is talking, man/women/child(effect on reader)
Persona-who is talking is it the actual writer or are they taking on the persona of someone else.
Language techniques-metaphor,similie, onomatopoeia
Structural techniques-end stopping, ceasura, enjambment
How many stanza's are there-does this show anything
Does anything change throughout the poem e.g. negative to positive

Use words like present,symbolises, portrays and emphasises.

EFFECT ON READER! ask any more questions asap! Learn how to write an essay...

good luck! I hated language but loved lit.

Quick Reply

Latest