The Student Room Group

Are weights at student accomodation allowed?

I'm planning on buying a 100kg Barbell set to put in my room for the days where you are too lazy to go out to the gym. (Yeah I know, gonna be hard without a rack and a bench.) I've read the contract and don't see anything written about banning weights/barbells.

So has anyone got weights in their room and do you think they are allowed?

Scroll to see replies

Aren't rooms small? How would you be able to do anything in there (less without a rack and a bench)?
Reply 2
Original post by Dilzo999
Aren't rooms small? How would you be able to do anything in there (less without a rack and a bench)?

Its 12-13 Square meters so I reckon I have enough space to do some squats, deadlifts and military press (sitting on my bad :biggrin:).
Go to the gym you lazy bhenchod.
Original post by Jacklicy
I'm planning on buying a 100kg Barbell set to put in my room for the days where you are too lazy to go out to the gym. (Yeah I know, gonna be hard without a rack and a bench.) I've read the contract and don't see anything written about banning weights/barbells.

Are you on the ground floor :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
Go to the gym you lazy bhenchod.

Gym's a bit crap too. Mostly machines and a tiny weight area which is full all the time.
Reply 6
Original post by Asklepios
Are you on the ground floor :tongue:

Does it matter? I mean the floor won't collapse from an extra 100Kg right? xP
Does it matter? I mean the floor won't collapse from an extra 100Kg right? xP

the person below you will have a thing or two to say about that
Reply 8
If the people who run your accommodation make a fuss, challenge them to a topless contest in front of every student in the halls, and get instant 100% super admiration and bitches as everyone mires you.
The contract won't say a barbell is banned, mainly because it is assumed no one would actually bring a barbell and weight plates into their room instead of using a gym.

The contract isn't going to say 'no swimming pools in rooms,' doesn't mean it's acceptable to put a swimming pool in your room.
if there's a decent of space, then go for it, when I would lift at home it would be with my ez curl bar and I would do them in the living room, and once done I would dismantle them and put them away in the cupboard or under the sofa, which you'll probably want to do for space
What exactly do you expect to get done in your room?
Ask your accommodation officer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since you haven't actually bought them yet, you'd be better off joining the gym or, if it's as bad as you say, getting an adjustable dumbbell set over a barbell set (although you'd have to weigh up the cost for how much weight you'd need).
If the uni gym sucks, just go to a local public gym. You're not gonna be able to do anything worthwhile with a barbell and 100kg of weight in a student accommodation room, so that's just a waste of money.
Lool your a funny guy

this is the average room size for student @ halls
50 kg bicep curl? lol

Save the fish... Don't do it...
Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD
Lool your a funny guy

this is the average room size for student @ halls

That moment when you realize your privately rented house is pretty much the same :frown:
How far away is the gym?

You could probably just fit a barbell in but it would be seriously tight.

A few DBs would be easy for:
Push: Overhead/floor pressing, weighted push ups
Pull: 1-arm rows
Knee dominant: Bulgarian split squats with your rear foot on the bed, high rep goblet squats, all lunge variations
Hip dominant: single leg hip thrusts/bridges, 1-leg RDLs, Nordic curls.
Core: dragon flags, roll outs
Curls and overhead tricep extensions

I wouldn't bother bringing a barbell in and clog up the space. Save that for the gym!

Quick Reply

Latest