The Student Room Group

Poor First Year Undergrad Marks for MSc Finance?

SOlved
(edited 8 years ago)
Which module was it that you failed? That may impact a decision. Although, most universities know that you're likely to move up a class from your first year results. Unfortunately, that puts you out of reach from LSE for certain (they only accept a first). I'm not sure if they take into account first year results, but you don't apply for the MSc until your third year anyway. So do as well as you can in your second year, and take it from there. Shouldn't be too much of an issue I'd imagine.
Go to Auckland .you will be fine there
Original post by Navyhavn
Hey guys,

I am currently going into my second year studying a BSc Finance degree at a Russel Group uni.

During first year, I shot myself in the foot by not applying myself as much as I could have done, (bought into the myth that it didn't count so focused more on enjoying the experience, stupid I know). For that reason I ended up with a 58.75 average ((2 modules were 1sts, 5 were 2.1 (3 high, 1 mid, 1 low), 1 X 2.2, 3 X 3rd, 1 Fail)).

I'm interested in the prospect of doing a MSc Finance (or variant) at the following: HEC Paris, LSE, IE, Essec, Imperial.

Luckily, both before and during first year I was quite pro-active in other areas. I've completed two internships (big 4 audit for 6 months as well as doing a commercial/business analyst internship for a well known non-finance corporate), got decent extra-curriculars (numerous leadership positions- president & treasurer, tangible contributions for the finance soc, communiy involvement, writer for a magazine, mentoring, ambassador work). I will hopefully be undertaking another internship within financial services next summer.

I suppose my question is, even with a first class attained during my second year, and a good GMAT result (both of which are not certainly givens in their own right), will the following institutions still be out of reach due to my modest first year results?

Any input would be great!
I would doubt Imperial. I have some kind of same issues.. I failed my math during my freshmen year, but I undertook an internship at Standard Chartered and other companies.. I scored very well after that, but still ..rejected by Imperial. However I got an offer from Cass. I think it depends on the school's policies, cuz I've talked to many school representatives, some would look at your overall performance, but some have to check up your individual grades deeply.
so... score as high as you can..academic records really do maters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending