The Student Room Group

Relationships shouldn't be taken for granted!.

There seems to be so many people, especially younger people, who get in fleeting relationships during their teen/young adult year, stories of cheating, swapping partners, break ups, abuse, etc, etc

I just don't understand....

Surely you should really be in a relationship with someone who you consider basically your best friend, someone you have a close bond with especially if you have been intimate with each other. Surely you should always, and want to be, honest and communicate with the person you are in a relationship in.

Relationships are taken for granted by so many people, the fact you have found someone you want to be in a relationship is a special thing.

I am in my late 20's and haven't even been close to being in a relationship for 10 years I get absolutely no attention from women at all.

When I see people or stories of people in a relationship bickering, cheating and such it just makes me think well obviously they are not honest with each other and it is probably just going to fail because one of them, or both, are taking the other person and their relationship for granted. There is no honesty or communication there... It almost just seems immature to me!
I really feel this. I just think not everyone has the same values I suppose.
Reply 2
I completely agree, however I find that people even my age (19) still take relationships for granted often :/
Reply 3
Original post by xmertic
I completely agree, however I find that people even my age (19) still take relationships for granted often :/

It seems to me that this happens a lot up to about the mid 20's.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
It seems to me that this happens a lot up to about the mid 20's.

Agreed, I've taken relationships seriously since like 17? I mean serious as in just not taken them for granted and treated people correctly :smile:
There seems to be so many people, especially younger people, who get in fleeting relationships during their teen/young adult year, stories of cheating, swapping partners, break ups, abuse, etc, etc

I just don't understand....

Surely you should really be in a relationship with someone who you consider basically your best friend, someone you have a close bond with especially if you have been intimate with each other. Surely you should always, and want to be, honest and communicate with the person you are in a relationship in.

Relationships are taken for granted by so many people, the fact you have found someone you want to be in a relationship is a special thing.

I am in my late 20's and haven't even been close to being in a relationship for 10 years I get absolutely no attention from women at all.

When I see people or stories of people in a relationship bickering, cheating and such it just makes me think well obviously they are not honest with each other and it is probably just going to fail because one of them, or both, are taking the other person and their relationship for granted. There is no honesty or communication there... It almost just seems immature to me!

Amen to that :biggrin:
Reply 6
This post is everything.
Reply 7
you deserve to be in a relationship
Not everyone at a young age takes relationships for granted. I am 17 and my bf is 23. I take my relationship seriously and always will. I am lucky enough to be dating a real gentleman that's my bestfriend and soulmate and He treats me like a princess and he's my prince. :colondollar:
Reply 9
I agree with you, OP. I've been in a serious relationship since I was 17 and I'm 22 now. My partner was my best friend before dating and he's even more of my best friend now. I feel like its me and him (and our cats!) against the world! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I wish I had considered the long-term of a relationship that I had when I was 18.

Back then I wasn't thinking of the reality of living together and the prospect of being together until old age.

I would say I am ready for that now as I have given it a lot of thought.

Saying that though I find it harder to find that as it just seems fragile to say 'hey, let's reproduce and share a fridge and toilet until we can barely get out of bed!'

The idea of friends becoming family was not what I was prepared for when I was younger.
Original post by aka r
you deserve to be in a relationship

I hope this isn't sarcasm towards me.

I come from a moral background and value things like honesty and kindness towards other people that's all... Not religious or anything but just have some good moral parents.
Reply 12
I hope this isn't sarcasm towards me.

I come from a moral background and value things like honesty and kindness towards other people that's all... Not religious or anything but just have some good moral parents.

noo lol you seem like a really mature person, someone like you should be in a relationship

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending