The Student Room Group

Uni fashion and outfit ideas and tips girls

hi I will be starting Uni and i really want to start making an effort with what I wear.

during Sixth form times, I didn't dress up and was casual throughout

I did however make an effort to wear makeup reguarly but now it is clothing time

I want to see your uni outfit IDEas that YOU would wear

I really want to start dress nice and i like look at other peoples fashion, it just is interesting

if you see youtube vids please recommend to me
uk only

cheers
Reply 1
pinterest is a good place to look for fashion inspiration.

In my wardrobe, the key pieces I have for autumn/winter is
-knee high flat black boots
-white converses
-a few lightweight blouse
-thick knit jumpers
-skinny jeans- navy, blue and burgundy
-a good warm coat with leather sleeves
-flat shoes

I just interchange between those for everyday, and I feel like dressing up more I plan the outfit beforehand. Like maybe a fitted blazer, vest and printed jeans
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by suz6690
pinterest is a good place to look for fashion inspiration.

In my wardrobe, the key pieces I have for autumn/winter is
-knee high flat black boots
-white converses
-a few lightweight blouse
-thick knit jumpers
-skinny jeans- navy, blue and burgundy
-a good warm coat with leather sleeves
-flat shoes

I just interchange between those for everyday, and I feel like dressing up more I plan the outfit beforehand. Like maybe a fitted blazer, vest and printed jeans

iwant real people to tell me, Pinterest is too complicated

But you reminded me that i should get knee highs!!

I want to start dressing up nice, everything for winter needs a jacket on top that is why i do not own much jumpers
also during college we never took our jackets off
Hi
I was the complete opposite of you! I dressed up and made an effort during 6th form but that slowly died when I got to uni. You will find that 60% of students will wear a university hoodie all the time. I had 4 of them and I lived in them in the winter with a tick coat overtop and sometimes a scarf.

Typical wardrobe for me (and ive always been fashion conscious outside of uni):

a couple of pairs of skinny jeans. If they are blue get a nice brown belt. I have one from Hollister. If they are grey or burgundy or any other dark colour I would personally go with a black belt. ( I always have a belt)

I would then stock up on vests in every colour! I wear them underneath everything for two reasons a) they keep me warm and b) they add colourful layers. Eg, a white or black vest hanging slightly lower than a burgundy jumper. or a yellow one beneath a white jumper. I always do layers. I then would have a selection of knitted jumpers- I love a burgundy one, maybe go for some chunky knit white/cream ones as well. Get yourself a couple of scarfs and a nice coat (I like camel coloured coats) and then a pair of brown boots and you have a winter wardrobe.

When the weather is nice you will find majority of the campus will be in skinnies and a tank top.

Have a look at this key pieces wardrobe. Its all interchangeable using burgundy, black, cream and camel.
Reply 4
Original post by MathsGirl
Hi
I was the complete opposite of you! I dressed up and made an effort during 6th form but that slowly died when I got to uni. You will find that 60% of students will wear a university hoodie all the time. I had 4 of them and I lived in them in the winter with a tick coat overtop and sometimes a scarf.

Typical wardrobe for me (and ive always been fashion conscious outside of uni):

a couple of pairs of skinny jeans. If they are blue get a nice brown belt. I have one from Hollister. If they are grey or burgundy or any other dark colour I would personally go with a black belt. ( I always have a belt)

I would then stock up on vests in every colour! I wear them underneath everything for two reasons a) they keep me warm and b) they add colourful layers. Eg, a white or black vest hanging slightly lower than a burgundy jumper. or a yellow one beneath a white jumper. I always do layers. I then would have a selection of knitted jumpers- I love a burgundy one, maybe go for some chunky knit white/cream ones as well. Get yourself a couple of scarfs and a nice coat (I like camel coloured coats) and then a pair of brown boots and you have a winter wardrobe.

When the weather is nice you will find majority of the campus will be in skinnies and a tank top.

Have a look at this key pieces wardrobe. Its all interchangeable using burgundy, black, cream and camel.

What you wrote is pretty much how i dress but need to vamp it up a bit with scarves and stylish like the pics you posted

And most girls are like you ever since secondary through to college they dress up
apparently uni is more casual and if you do dress up people will have something negative to say
Ugh, I always feel pressured into dressing nicely, is it common for people to make a proper effort at uni?
I usually just wear jeans and a jumper or a casual dress with tights.
Uni is very casual. I went to surrey and if you know anything about surrey and hampshire that is pretty much uniform. There is nothing wrong with the wardrobe I just posted I think the key is quality. You want jeans that for properly, if they are skinny then they need to be skinny. Get your jumpers from top shop or river island. I think you will find that if the clothes are good and your wardrobe has a few key colours then you will find dressing effortless. But yes, Uni is very casual. Think about how you dress when your with your parents- you live with them so you don't care how you look with them. Same goes for Uni mates. You practically live with them and it all becomes very casual. If you have a particular colour you like I can try and make another wardrobe of your colours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I promise you ladies (and gents) that Uni is very casual. By your third year (and often much earlier than that) you will find people turning up to lectures in pyjamas and a duvet.

Saying this, they make a lot of effort if going out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #2
Ugh, I always feel pressured into dressing nicely, is it common for people to make a proper effort at uni?
I usually just wear jeans and a jumper or a casual dress with tights.

From what i gathered, no
people are casual

I WANT tO make more of an effort though just as a personal reinforcement
I'm a pretty dressy person, I always make a huge effort to go out at night but if you dress up for lectures you're gonna look out of place. The majority of students are very casual.

Usually I dress up a bit more for seminars because you see and interact with people more; in lectures you're all just facing the same way listening.

Some things I wear for lectures:
- skinnies, docs, baggy t and leather jacket
- converse, boyfriend jeans, vest
- leggings, longer top, pumps

Some things I wear for lectures:
generally cute tops, tights, skirts, calf boots, bowler hat, scarves, day dresses, etc.
Original post by Alumna
From what i gathered, no
people are casual

95% of people look good when they're dressed casual though, I look like I slept in an alley for 3 days. :tongue:

Fair enough if you're doing it for yourself, dressing up and doing my make-up properly always makes me feel good.
Original post by Alumna

If you want to do it for yourself then I would definitely dress up. Maybe go for a typical outfit (jeans, vest, jumper, boots) and add some accessories. Buy a nice leather bag, a scarf, gold coloured jewellery (not chavy). Its much harder to make an effort in the winter months. When the sun is out it is much easier to dress up with summer colours and cute tops, skirts and dresses.
Last posts from me before I go to bed. Ive attached a couple more 'dressy' casual outfits with jackets. I found that these last few months I have lived in a yellow jacket but I also like to wear a smart/casual jacket in the winter. This is just to give you some ideas. A jacket can transform an outfit and instantly make it look more 'trendy' but it has to be the right jacket otherwise it will look out of place.
There's a really good website called What I Wore Today (wiwt for short) and you can get so much inspiration and ideas from there it's great! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous #2
95% of people look good when they're dressed casual though, I look like I slept in an alley for 3 days. :tongue:

Fair enough if you're doing it for yourself, dressing up and doing my make-up properly always makes me feel good.

Original post by MathsGirl
If you want to do it for yourself then I would definitely dress up. Maybe go for a typical outfit (jeans, vest, jumper, boots) and add some accessories. Buy a nice leather bag, a scarf, gold coloured jewellery (not chavy). Its much harder to make an effort in the winter months. When the sun is out it is much easier to dress up with summer colours and cute tops, skirts and dresses.

Thanks I can't wait
I wasn't motivate to wear makeup during school years and only started llate like early college days
Now I will attempt to look nice in winter
Original post by Alumna
hi I will be starting Uni and i really want to start making an effort with what I wear.

during Sixth form times, I didn't dress up and was casual throughout

I did however make an effort to wear makeup reguarly but now it is clothing time

I want to see your uni outfit IDEas that YOU would wear

I really want to start dress nice and i like look at other peoples fashion, it just is interesting

if you see youtube vids please recommend to me
uk only

cheers

These are some of my outfits. My style is smart-casual so I wear a lot of skirts, fitted shirts and blazers.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Im quite dressy
I like to wear converse, boots (the lace up chunky soled ones) and chunky chleasea boots or these (mine are nicer and the pic does no justice,

http://www.heelberry.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/a/mazie_black_suede_1_1.jpg

or these:

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=99015207

Erm I wear a leather jacket, or a black bomber jacket.

I really like a variety of jeans i have the standard black and blue but I also have some burgundy ones with zippers, some navy blue ones that are patterned

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/pict/171414999424_1.jpg

http://www.designer-jeans.eu/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/J-Brand-Aggy-Leather-Jeans.jpg

Tops, erm plain white t, patterned tops, embroidered tops. I can't say much about tops because I can NEVER buy them -_-

But as for jumpers, anything really cable knit, plain, the fluffy ones, the furry ones

Quick Reply

Latest