The Student Room Group

Starting A-Levels... so nervous!

I'm starting sixth form in a couple of days and I'm so worried about the work being too hard for me! Everyone older than me that I've spoken to has told me that there's a huge jump between A-Levels and GCSEs and that A-Levels are so hard and worse than Uni... and I'm quite worried now, does anyone have any tips on how to handle it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I feel exactly the same as you !? Although I did well at gcse I feel that Alevel would just be too hard for me to handle and I'll just fail them :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rifraffi
I'm starting sixth form in a couple of days and I'm so worried about the work being too hard for me! Everyone older than me that I've spoken to has told me that there's a huge jump between A-Levels and GCSEs and that A-Levels are so hard and worse than Uni... and I'm quite worried now, does anyone have any tips on how to handle it?

Original post by AshJK
I feel exactly the same as you !? Although I did well at gcse I feel that Alevel would just be too hard for me to handle and I'll just fail them :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I'm going into year 13 this year, so I've done my AS levels, and I can honestly say that I absolutely love sixth form. Yes, the work is more difficult, and yes, there's quite a lot of it, but if you keep on top of things (and I mean SUPER organised, no slacking), it will be fine. In terms of the actual subjects, there is a jump, but your teachers should spend at least a week 'bridging' that gap (and if they don't, it might help if you do a bit of GCSE revision to begin with). I do French, History, English Lit and English Lang, so if you want any advice for those (if they are relevant), feel free to ask!

As long as you're passionate about your subjects, there's nothing to worry about. Problems only really arise when you dislike a subject, because then you lose motivation. But, from my perspective, the jump was nothing crazy. And remember, don't leave something until later in the year if you don't quite get it - take some time to understand everything at the time it's taught (trust me, just REVISING is enough for exams, there will be no time for LEARNING in April...). And really don't be scared to ask for help!! Your teachers know that A-levels are hard, and I promise you won't be the only one finding things a bit difficult!

Good luck with everything! (and the thing about what 'everyone older than you has told you'...people like to complain, okay? It's perfectly possible to enjoy A levels, believe me) :smile:
Hey guys,
Don't worry about it. Yes, the jump from GCSEs to A Levels is pretty big and yes, in terms of the depth and breadth of subjects your studying, A Levels are the toughest exams you'll ever take (not in terms of content though), but providing you're willing to work hard from day one of sixth form you'll be fine.

I'm going into Year 13 this year so I've done Year 12 and believe me, sixth form is so much fun. You get to study only the subjects you really enjoy, with other people that also really enjoy those subjects! You get treated more like adults than the younger students and teachers are willing to make time for you if you tell them you need it (take advantage of this).

Just some quick top tips:
1) Don't worry, it's not unmanageable if you approach it maturely and expecting to have to work hard.
2) Do ALL of the work that's set for class time, homework and then do some extra until you have it down to a tee.
3) Don't leave exam revision until the last minute. They might seem ages away but you don't want to be panicking getting your revision materials together while your teachers are trying to teach you the last chunk of content for the exams. Make some revision materials at the end of every topic and keep going over them every so often so you don't forget everything.
4) If you need help, ask for it. This isn't the time to plough on through loads of textbooks on your own hoping to get the answer. Teachers are really willing to help you with anything. If you're scared to ask them something face to face, email them or take a friend for moral support. Whatever you do, you need to be asking the questions.
5) Enjoy it! Enjoy studying your favourite subjects, enjoy making new friends and enjoy all the things that come along with growing up and having more independence!

Best of Luck with Year 12 guys :smile:

And remember, it's not about how to survive the storm, it's about how to dance in the rain!
Don't worry, as long as you are willing to put the effort in and push yourself to do the best you can the gap will not have a dramatic impact. Remember every hurdle you jump gives you new experiences and confidence :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by AshJK

Posted from TSR Mobile

Harder than uni? C'mon. That's usual gibberish older students use to frighten younger ones. Don't buy it!

Try your best and you'll succeed!
Huge jump. You've got a storm ahead. It'll be over soon, AS isn't as bad as A2. You'll probably cry lots. Don't worry. It's the only time you ever have to go through this. You'll do fine if you put in the work.

Good luck.

Also the feeling after leaving you last A level exam is UNMATCHED.
1. Make friends with your teachers.
2. Use your friends and teachers.
3. Use other teachers if yours suck.
4. Use your frees.
5. Sit next to a smart person who doesn't cover their notes.
6. Don't sit next to a person who talks to you.
7. Use pretty colours.
8. Type up your notes after the lesson as revision notes.
9. Try reading up on the topic before the lesson.
10. Make your notes into audio files and listen to them on the bus.
11. Keep all past papers, notes etc. on a phone, tablet, or laptop you take to school.
12. (If you do maths) Do maths questions for fun (if at all possible). The really hard ones at the end of each section.
12.5. And actually read the textbook.
13. For Biology, learn it then teach it multiple times. Fish make good students if nobody wants to learn off you.
14. Learn the mark schemes better than anything else. Maths mark schemes can take some practice. Read the info at the beginning.
15. Use your frees to time homework essays approximately.
16. Find a nice place to study at school. I had a seat that was mine in the sixth form centre, and I left my stuff there all day.
17. Get a good filing system set up before you start.
18. Buy revision guides now.

Basically, make things convenient and pleasant for yourself and you should have enough time and resources to iron out any wrinkles (or even massive, gaping tears) in your learning.
Original post by CookieInOrange
4. Use your frees.
7. Use pretty colours.
11. Keep all past papers, notes etc. on a phone, tablet, or laptop you take to school.
12. (If you do maths) Do maths questions for fun (if at all possible). The really hard ones at the end of each section.
13. For Biology, learn it then teach it multiple times. Fish make good students if nobody wants to learn off you.
14. Learn the mark schemes better than anything else. Maths mark schemes can take some practice. Read the info at the beginning.
16. Find a nice place to study at school. I had a seat that was mine in the sixth form centre, and I left my stuff there all day.

Basically, make things convenient and pleasant for yourself and you should have enough time and resources to iron out any wrinkles (or even massive, gaping tears) in your learning.

This is really good advice!! Thanks
Reply 9
Thankyou everyone for your tips they are genuinely really helpful! I intend to really put my head down in these next two years staying organised keeping on top of things and not sitting next to the parrot of the class ... :,)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Oh, I was excited before I started Sixth Form, and then I realized how difficult it was. It's difficult for everyone (well those of us who are human anyway). Don't worry about it being difficult. Focus on getting it done instead. It's a big jump, it's a big surprise. You have to experience it and then accept your fate.
I am starting Year 13 next week and I am so not excited now.

I posted this list on a similar thread before:

1. Make notes from textbook before lesson.
2. Make notes during the lesson.
3. Make notes after the lesson.
4. Do the homework, even if the teacher doesn't check it - it's for your own good.
5. Ask questions if you don't understand, even if it seems to be the stupidest question in the world.
6. Use separate folders/notebooks for each subject.
7. Participate in the lesson.
8. Prepare yourself, if you think Sixth form is difficult, you're in for a surprise, it's really difficult. If you think it's easy, then you are in for a big surprise. Just because it's less subjects, it doesn't mean anything.
9. I would say don't procrastinate, but since I am doing that now, I am not the one to talk. Try to limit the laziness though.
10. You have to study for end of topic tests - accept it. If not your teachers should make you re-sit it until you beg for mercy.
11. Do your work even if you hate the teacher - it's your life.
12. Try to do some work in your free lessons, just try.
13. If you get a part time job, make sure it's not more than 12-15 hours / week.
14. Start revising for your summer exams at the beginning of April.
15. Have a rough plan for your revision - what topics you are doing on what day. Don't try to shove it all in a few weeks, space it out.
16. What's that? Sorry? Your best friend brought these killer shoes? WRONG. Your best friend can't buy shoes, because it's a past paper. Past papers are best for practice and everything else. Personally, I like to rip them up if I fail - helps to relieve the anger and stress acquired from the other tips on this list.
17. Do things outside of lessons - it will help with your CV (that's not a new tip).
18. Forget the meaning of social life when you are revising for your summer exams, or at least try to limit it if you're a party animal.
19. Take pictures of your precious notes, so you don't loose them. Try using an app like CamScanner - it saves your notes to a cloud and you can group them by subject.

I probably have more, but I can't remember them. If you want to get subject specific, just PM me.
Also, no guarantees with that guide, but it does help. I was trying to be more original than just "Work hard."
Reply 11
Original post by Lexxaa
--

God! I looked at the picture and was like "when did I post this?" :P
Reply 12
Original post by *Stefan*
God! I looked at the picture and was like "when did I post this?" :P

OMG me too! I was scrolling through this and I was like, "What?! When did I say that?" :tongue: Then I realized it wasn't my post.
I guess we were both in for a surprise.
Reply 13
Original post by Rifraffi

Just finished A levels so here's my advice.

1. Work in the work time and chill out in the chill out time. The amount of times that your friends will have free periods at the same time as you will be frustrating but getting that work done first really will benefit you in the end.
2. Find the revision system that works for you. Do you prefer to revise with flashcards or mind maps etc. (I prefer a branch system of topic-subtopic-info)
3. Don't lose paper. Seriously. The amount of notes I lost and face-palmed myself for was off the charts.p I found myself saying: "hey I did a really good diagram on that last week that would be really helpful right now..." far too frequently. Don't be me.
4. Don't stress. (try not to read that one as an order otherwise its a bit counter productive.) Find time to relax. I cannot stress this enough (see what I did there?) If you can find a way to just take 30 minutes a day to relax, listen to music or something you'll feel much better about it all. Being stressed will only make it harder to learn, harder to socialize and harder to get up in the morning!
5. Talk to the teachers! They're there to help you as much as they can. If you don't feel comfortable asking for help in class (which I would recommend) make sure to catch up with them after a lesson to cover anything you didn't quite understand.
6. Find out whether you can realistically do revision and learning at home during study periods. Different people can study in different environments, if you can't study at home because of how distracting everything is then go into college to the library or a quiet area and work there. (Even if it is hard to get up early to give yourself work to do.)

The main difference between GCSE's and A levels is the amount of freedom to tackle the exams and prep however you want to. In school all of your time is scheduled and set whereas at college while you do have scheduled lessons you do have a lot of time where it's down to you to decide what to do.

All in all, you'll be fine just don't stress, enjoy yourself and don't post pictures of your friends on the loo around college. Actually that last one is quite fun. ;P
Reply 14
Original post by Lexxaa
OMG me too! I was scrolling through this and I was like, "What?! When did I say that?" :tongue: Then I realized it wasn't my post.
I guess we were both in for a surprise.

Haha I guess so :P
Reply 15
Original post by AshJK

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah same! I did quite well in GCSEs and I have a feeling I'm just gonna fail my AS Levels...
Reply 16
Original post by rebeccafrances
Hey, I'm going into year 13 this year, so I've done my AS levels, and I can honestly say that I absolutely love sixth form. Yes, the work is more difficult, and yes, there's quite a lot of it, but if you keep on top of things (and I mean SUPER organised, no slacking), it will be fine. In terms of the actual subjects, there is a jump, but your teachers should spend at least a week 'bridging' that gap (and if they don't, it might help if you do a bit of GCSE revision to begin with). I do French, History, English Lit and English Lang, so if you want any advice for those (if they are relevant), feel free to ask!

As long as you're passionate about your subjects, there's nothing to worry about. Problems only really arise when you dislike a subject, because then you lose motivation. But, from my perspective, the jump was nothing crazy. And remember, don't leave something until later in the year if you don't quite get it - take some time to understand everything at the time it's taught (trust me, just REVISING is enough for exams, there will be no time for LEARNING in April...). And really don't be scared to ask for help!! Your teachers know that A-levels are hard, and I promise you won't be the only one finding things a bit difficult!

Good luck with everything! (and the thing about what 'everyone older than you has told you'...people like to complain, okay? It's perfectly possible to enjoy A levels, believe me) :smile:

Thank you so much! Out of all your options I'm taking English Lit, do you have any advice on how to handle the subject?
Reply 17
Original post by phoebea13
Hey guys,
Don't worry about it. Yes, the jump from GCSEs to A Levels is pretty big and yes, in terms of the depth and breadth of subjects your studying, A Levels are the toughest exams you'll ever take (not in terms of content though), but providing you're willing to work hard from day one of sixth form you'll be fine.

I'm going into Year 13 this year so I've done Year 12 and believe me, sixth form is so much fun. You get to study only the subjects you really enjoy, with other people that also really enjoy those subjects! You get treated more like adults than the younger students and teachers are willing to make time for you if you tell them you need it (take advantage of this).

Just some quick top tips:
1) Don't worry, it's not unmanageable if you approach it maturely and expecting to have to work hard.
2) Do ALL of the work that's set for class time, homework and then do some extra until you have it down to a tee.
3) Don't leave exam revision until the last minute. They might seem ages away but you don't want to be panicking getting your revision materials together while your teachers are trying to teach you the last chunk of content for the exams. Make some revision materials at the end of every topic and keep going over them every so often so you don't forget everything.
4) If you need help, ask for it. This isn't the time to plough on through loads of textbooks on your own hoping to get the answer. Teachers are really willing to help you with anything. If you're scared to ask them something face to face, email them or take a friend for moral support. Whatever you do, you need to be asking the questions.
5) Enjoy it! Enjoy studying your favourite subjects, enjoy making new friends and enjoy all the things that come along with growing up and having more independence!

Best of Luck with Year 12 guys :smile:

And remember, it's not about how to survive the storm, it's about how to dance in the rain!

Hiya, thanks for that, I love the idea of making revision materials after each topic! That will definitely save time as exams come closer, all my revision stuff will be ready! Again, thank you for the advice! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by marm-alade
Huge jump. You've got a storm ahead. It'll be over soon, AS isn't as bad as A2. You'll probably cry lots. Don't worry. It's the only time you ever have to go through this. You'll do fine if you put in the work.

Good luck.

Also the feeling after leaving you last A level exam is UNMATCHED.

Oh gosh, ahaha thank you!
Reply 19
Original post by CookieInOrange
4. Use your frees.
7. Use pretty colours.

This is precious advice! Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest