The Student Room Group

How do you keep on track with coursework based subjects?

I am taking IT to A2 level, and at A2 it is 100% coursework so I was just wondering for those of you who take subjects like that which are predominantly coursework based how do you cope with them in regards to your other subjects and do well in all subjects. One idea someone told me was to do all the coursework stuff in my frees and when I go home revise my other non coursework subjects.

Anyway any tips/ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Just make sure you do enough work so you're on track with coursework? e.g. if you have one project that should take 4 weeks (probably unrealistic, not sure how ICT a-levels work), then make sure you do at least 25% of it by the end of the first week, etc. You can revise however much you feel you need to for your other subjects at the same time. Make sure you make good use of your time in class since you can probably get most of the coursework done if you really crack down in lessons. I only did computing as far as coursework subjects go (40% coursework at A2, despite the exam being far easier), but I basically just did it in class. It did stress me out a bit but that's probably because I did screw around a fair bit in class - coursework is boring, not my fault ^^ - and only at the end of the year did I actually put 100% focus into lessons.
I personally like to do all my coursework as soon as I get it. It may be tempting to do other homework in frees however it works much better for me just to try and knock out as much coursework as possible before I get home. This is because coursework isn't as challenging and intensive in most cases as standard revision, so I get easily distracted and find myself at 11pm with 250 words done when I need a few thousand.

I would recommend trying to do some high quality work in your frees, spent on coursework, then as soon as you get home try and finish it off. Not only is it nice not to worry about that deadline, but it also leaves much more time for other homework and revision.

I'm also doing ICT and generally the content isn't too difficult, so as long as you feel the work you're handing up is of high quality, then you'll have no personal quarrels with yourself because you finished it a little earlier than what was expected. Besides, if you do the typical 'leave it to the day before' scenario, then you won't have as much time to proof read and things of that nature.

In short, do it as soon as you get it to get it out of the way, but keep it to a high standard. Don't rush it, just focus on it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by LividLion
I personally like to do all my coursework as soon as I get it. It may be tempting to do other homework in frees however it works much better for me just to try and knock out as much coursework as possible before I get home. This is because coursework isn't as challenging and intensive in most cases as standard revision, so I get easily distracted and find myself at 11pm with 250 words done when I need a few thousand.

I would recommend trying to do some high quality work in your frees, spent on coursework, then as soon as you get home try and finish it off. Not only is it nice not to worry about that deadline, but it also leaves much more time for other homework and revision.

I'm also doing ICT and generally the content isn't too difficult, so as long as you feel the work you're handing up is of high quality, then you'll have no personal quarrels with yourself because you finished it a little earlier than what was expected. Besides, if you do the typical 'leave it to the day before' scenario, then you won't have as much time to proof read and things of that nature.

In short, do it as soon as you get it to get it out of the way, but keep it to a high standard. Don't rush it, just focus on it.

Thankyou so much! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Indivicivet
Just make sure you do enough work so you're on track with coursework? e.g. if you have one project that should take 4 weeks (probably unrealistic, not sure how ICT a-levels work), then make sure you do at least 25% of it by the end of the first week, etc. You can revise however much you feel you need to for your other subjects at the same time. Make sure you make good use of your time in class since you can probably get most of the coursework done if you really crack down in lessons. I only did computing as far as coursework subjects go (40% coursework at A2, despite the exam being far easier), but I basically just did it in class. It did stress me out a bit but that's probably because I did screw around a fair bit in class - coursework is boring, not my fault ^^ - and only at the end of the year did I actually put 100% focus into lessons.

Thankyou so much! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest