The Student Room Group

A Level French thread

Hi,

I'm going into Year 13 next week, and was just wondering if anyone has any questions about A Level French - perhaps you're starting A Level French now, or are in the same year as me and want to discuss hints and tips for part 2! :smile:

:france:
Original post by rebeccafrances
Hi,

I'm going into Year 13 next week, and was just wondering if anyone has any questions about A Level French - perhaps you're starting A Level French now, or are in the same year as me and want to discuss hints and tips for part 2! :smile:

:france:

I'm starting Year 13 next week too! which exam board are you using? :smile:
Reply 2
I'm starting year 13 too and i do AQA
Original post by amejv
I'm starting year 13 too and i do AQA

Same here, what books/films are you doing?
Reply 4
Original post by lightningdoritos
Same here, what books/films are you doing?

we're doing la haine for a film and no et moi for the book you?
Original post by amejv
we're doing la haine for a film and no et moi for the book you?

we'er doing la haine as well, have you seen it? I think there's too much 'slang' tbh....can't really understand it
Original post by lightningdoritos
I'm starting Year 13 next week too! which exam board are you using? :smile:

I'm on AQA too! How did your AS results go?

We're doing La Haine for the film, as well, and also a region (Haute-Normandie) :smile:
I'm on AQA too! How did your AS results go?

We're doing La Haine for the film, as well, and also a region (Haute-Normandie) :smile:

I got AABC with A in French :smile: That's cool, I don';t think we're doing a region...
Reply 8
Hello, I'm starting AS French very soon now :smile: I'm quite nervous about it, mainly because I don't trust my French skills, and it's a new school so I have no idea what the teacher or other people in the class will be like :eek:
Original post by Vionar
Hello, I'm starting AS French very soon now :smile: I'm quite nervous about it, mainly because I don't trust my French skills, and it's a new school so I have no idea what the teacher or other people in the class will be like :eek:

Hi! There's no need to be nervous! My advice would be to keep practising everything, grammar in particular, until it's lodged in your brain. The joy of learning a language at school is that, even though there are some specific topics you need to learn, the actual language is pretty set in stone. So that means you generally don't need to sit and learn content from modules (like, say, a science subject) - you don't need to wait until it's taught in the lesson! So go about learning grammar (memorising conjugations, understanding tenses, pronouns etc) as soon as possible, trust me - don't leave grammar, because it will be helpful to you throughout the course, not just the exam!!

In terms of your language skills, please don't worry! If you weren't good enough, they wouldn't let you start the course. I remember not feeling too confident going into A Level French (even though it was already my favourite subject), and now I'm going into A2 with a very high A grade at AS (198/200 UMS). It's about putting the time and effort in when it comes to language - just learning facts doesn't cut it, but that's why I love it!!

Good luck and enjoy yourself! French is the best subject in the world! :smile: (Any more questions, I'll be happy to answer)
Reply 10
Hi! There's no need to be nervous! My advice would be to keep practising everything, grammar in particular, until it's lodged in your brain. The joy of learning a language at school is that, even though there are some specific topics you need to learn, the actual language is pretty set in stone. So that means you generally don't need to sit and learn content from modules (like, say, a science subject) - you don't need to wait until it's taught in the lesson! So go about learning grammar (memorising conjugations, understanding tenses, pronouns etc) as soon as possible, trust me - don't leave grammar, because it will be helpful to you throughout the course, not just the exam!!

In terms of your language skills, please don't worry! If you weren't good enough, they wouldn't let you start the course. I remember not feeling too confident going into A Level French (even though it was already my favourite subject), and now I'm going into A2 with a very high A grade at AS (198/200 UMS). It's about putting the time and effort in when it comes to language - just learning facts doesn't cut it, but that's why I love it!!

Good luck and enjoy yourself! French is the best subject in the world! :smile: (Any more questions, I'll be happy to answer)

Ah thank you very much :biggrin: I will attempt to start learning conjugations and stuff, because I have to check simple conjugations far too often :redface:

The problem is that the new school doesn't know my level of French at all, and I haven't studied it since year ten :/
Oh wow that's awesome, well done :biggrin:

Thank you again :biggrin: I never have any questions, so there's no need to worry about that :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by Vionar

You'll be fine! I got full marks in my speaking but ****ed up on my essay in the written exam so my grade came out as a C so i'm re sitting my exam next may. My tip would be to learn grammar, i made the mistake of not doing it and now i'm trying to memorise it all before i go back on thursday
Reply 12
Original post by amejv
You'll be fine! I got full marks in my speaking but ****ed up on my essay in the written exam so my grade came out as a C so i'm re sitting my exam next may. My tip would be to learn grammar, i made the mistake of not doing it and now i'm trying to memorise it all before i go back on thursday

Oh wow, good luck with that! I'm guessing it was the essay technique or something, rather than the language?
I'm currently trying to cram some conjugations before I go back :five:
Reply 13
Original post by Vionar
Oh wow, good luck with that! I'm guessing it was the essay technique or something, rather than the language?
I'm currently trying to cram some conjugations before I go back :five:

I dont really know what went wrong because in the exam you can chose an essay and i chose the one we'd done a plan for in class a few days before! Oh well, i'm just going to have to swot it out in these next few weeks so that my teacher gives me a good predicted grade
Which exam board are you doing? I'm doing wjec

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by amejv
I dont really know what went wrong because in the exam you can chose an essay and i chose the one we'd done a plan for in class a few days before! Oh well, i'm just going to have to swot it out in these next few weeks so that my teacher gives me a good predicted grade

Well that is strange :redface: Yeah hopefully you do manage to get a good one, it would be annoying if that exam screwed you over later on :frown:
Reply 16
Original post by cforcoldplay
Which exam board are you doing? I'm doing wjec

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing AQA :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending