The Student Room Group

Why do I feel sick while working out?

Hi guys,

In the gym, I do lots of exercises such as squats, bench press and barbell rows. I also do dumbell curls, pull ups and chin ups.

Whenever I do these exercises alot, I feel like Im about to throw up, so I end up taking a rest for 10 minutes.

I think its because I eat alot before going to the gym, maybe thats why I feel sick. I've tried eating less before going to the gym but I still feel a bit sick when working out.

What should I do guys?

Any advice/help is appreciated.
Original post by Naveed-7
Hi guys,

In the gym, I do lots of exercises such as squats, bench press and barbell rows. I also do dumbell curls, pull ups and chin ups.

Whenever I do these exercises alot, I feel like Im about to throw up, so I end up taking a rest for 10 minutes.

I think its because I eat alot before going to the gym, maybe thats why I feel sick. I've tried eating less before going to the gym but I still feel a bit sick when working out.

What should I do guys?

Any advice/help is appreciated.

You've answered your own question.

Leave plenty time between eating and going to the gym.
Reply 2
have puked after a gym sesh before

**** was intense
Original post by Dr Alcoholic
You've answered your own question.

Leave plenty time between eating and going to the gym.

This. Depending what you eat, and the quantity, you should be leaving at least 30 minutes, and up to 3 hours (for particularly heavy meals) between eating & working out. You need to give your body time to digest the food & all that jazz.
What everyone else says. I don't eat at all before a workout. In truth, I have to watch how much water I consume during the workout or that can make me feel ill towards the end too.
Reply 5
I just got back from the Maldives and I found that cos I was eating pretty spicy there that was affecting me in the gym. If I ate quite spicy one day I couldn't do any heavy exercise until the next day. Anything that got my heart rate high made me sick. So for the last 3 weeks I didn't eat anything spicy and had no problems.
Reply 6
I start to feel really sick if I drink too much when working out, my mouth gets extremely dry when working out so I drink but it ends up making me sick so I try not to drink too much.
Reply 7
I feel ill when I do really high intensity workouts e.g. Insanity, because I get really hot without the breaks and so I consume a lot of water in a short space of time to try and compensate for this. 15 minutes later I've got a gut full of water and I feel like throwing it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
could be exercise induced nausea, used to happen to me a little if I seriously exerted m'self

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise-induced_nausea

lack of hydration is cited as a common reason why it happens, best of luck OP
Don't eat after like 30 mins before your workout. If you have to have something, go with a banana (insert other fruit here), nothing particularly big.

Have done a little sick in my mouth before while dead lifting. Not a pleasant experience.
I know that water is a huge deal, especially if you're sweating loads during your work out. Try drinking throughout and before your workout.

Quick Reply

Latest