The Student Room Group

Proof Read my CV

Starting college in a few days and decided to find a job because that's what a normal 16 year old would do right?

Is my CV good, i'm not sure if it is or if anyone around me can check it.
can you reply as soon as possible!
Reply 1
Original post by kingannon
Starting college in a few days and decided to find a job because that's what a normal 16 year old would do right?

Quite disgusting CV.

Cut that your GCSE, we don't want your life stories.

Write x A*-C including Maths And English grade whatever.

Honestly they won't care if you got a B in performing dance

Your CV is very meh
Reply 2
"Excessive masturbation" is missing
Reply 3

One of the authorised CV helpers will be on here soon enough to answer but here's my two cents:

Structure:

a) Statement: Max 3 sentences. What you are doing now, and what you want to be. Tailor this part. The rest of your CV can be as generic as it likes.

b) Education: You are relatively young so list all of your GCSE's. There shouldn't be too many white pieces floating around. It makes you look like you have nothing.

c) Experience + Skills: Try and tie your skills in with your experience or vice versa. At least have following in there (Self Management, Leadership, Teamwork, Communication + Organisational).

d) All other: This is where the rest of your made up **** will go including but not limited to hobbies, achievements and interests.

e) References: Just put "Available on request" or something like that.

If at this stage, your CV has not been thrown in the bin, you're a very lucky chap.

General advice: Make your CV flow and make it readable. Don't have too much text as it seems unreadable and most recruiters will probably not venture past the first two lines. Choco-block of information is definitely not good and it will probably end up as an airplane on someone's floor.

Most recruiters have to sift through hundreds of CV and if they don't like the basics (Structure and type), then you won't get far. If by the first couple sentences (i.e: your statement), you've ticked all the right boxes for them and even though you may have lacked some information, they'll still give you a call.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4

Far too wordy. You don't need to write, 'I did this blah blah blah'. Cut it short. Make your headings bold. Make short bullet points under the headings. So for example, for your qualifications write the school name, date started, ended and results. You haven't mentioned skills or references too. For experience, you would write where you worked the dates and few bullet points summarising your role and duties.

Have a look at CV examples online! Then get it check by a career advisor. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
It could be better
Reply 6
Thanks for replies,
I know it isn't perfect and had room for loads of improvements, just jeep the feedback coming!
Reply 7
Original post by tsr1269
One of the authorised CV helpers will be on here soon enough to answer but here's my two cents:

Structure:

a) Statement: Max 3 sentences. What you are doing now, and what you want to be. Tailor this part. The rest of your CV can be as generic as it likes.

b) Education: You are relatively young so list all of your GCSE's. There shouldn't be too many white pieces floating around. It makes you look like you have nothing.

c) Experience + Skills: Try and tie your skills in with your experience or vice versa. At least have following in there (Self Management, Leadership, Teamwork, Communication + Organisational).

d) All other: This is where the rest of your made up **** will go including but not limited to hobbies, achievements and interests.

e) References: Just put "Available on request" or something like that.

If at this stage, your CV has not been thrown in the bin, you're a very lucky chap.

General advice: Make your CV flow and make it readable. Don't have too much text as it seems unreadable and most recruiters will probably not venture past the first two lines. Choco-block of information is definitely not good and it will probably end up as an airplane on someone's floor.

Most recruiters have to sift through hundreds of CV and if they don't like the basics (Structure and type), then you won't get far. If by the first couple sentences (i.e: your statement), you've ticked all the right boxes for them and even though you may have lacked some information, they'll still give you a call.

Thanks a lot
And btw I just made it on the spot so i haven't sent it to anyone yet. Just needed some decent feedback, like yours.
use ms office templates for cv, they look more pro
Reply 9
The structure just isn't good enough. I suggest using; CV Maker. It's free and also helped me get a job (I'm also 16)
Your CV doesn't shout out at me at all, it looks really plain and rushed...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest