The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

How to get into UCL or KCL

Okay, well I am currently living in Canada, I've lived here most of my life but I am a British citizen. I would really like to go to a university in the UK, especially in London. I love everything about it. I am currently in the IB program and, i'm going into my second year of IB. This upcoming year I am going to join a business program, and volunteer as much as I can. My grades are decent but I plan on improving them drastically this upcoming year so that my IB points are at least at 36 points. I would really like to study business in either UCL or KCL, Oxford or Cambridge would be a dream, but I think that might be a little too far fetched. I will take any help I can get. What do you think my chances are in getting into UCL or KCL to study business? Also is it hard to get accommodation in those uni's when you are coming from a different country? Also any tips on how to get into UCL or KCL? So what do they really look for? Do they like more well rounded people, or academic focused? Etc.

Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 1
Hi!

Your chances will be really high if you can demonstrate a well rounded personality, but you must also be academically sound and be declared able to meet their typical offers by your school (your predicted grades should be no less than their typical offer) to be considered. You will be guaranteed accommodation for the first year at UCL but I think you may need to find your own place to rent for the second year onwards. I'm not sure how business related departments operate but it's usually the case that you you apply through UCAS, send in your personal statement, references and predicted grades, get interviewed if you've passed the preliminary consideration stages, receive an offer and then all you need to do is meet their offer to be accepted. Since you're abroad, they might not call you in for an interview and they might try to coordinate a Skype interview (or similar) instead. You might not be interviewed at all, but it's best that you try and prepare by doing mock interviews so that you're on comfortable grounds when being interviewed.

I hope I helped you with your questions. I'd like to make you aware of something regarding your tuition fees, in case you weren't aware of it. Should you be accepted to study in the UK, you might be charged international fees because you might be classified an international student, having not resided in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of your course, despite being a Briton. You have to be very careful because international fees increase year on year and are significantly higher than the fees that 'Home students' pay (£9,000). Students who have resided in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of their course will be classed Home students, regardless of their nationality, if the main purpose of their residence in the UK during that time was not to receive full-time education (i.e. they normally live in the UK, so that if they weren't studying, they'd still be in the UK because they live here). This might mean that you will be charged international fees, unless you appeal their decisions and prove that you were out of the UK on a temporary basis (i.e. because of you parents' work, etc...), and so you must show them that you have maintained connection with / assets in the UK (so if you have not sold your house, not closed your bank account, etc.. then you might be able to prove to them that you were out of the UK temporarily).

The reason I brought that up is because I had assumed that I'll be paying home fees (£9,000) when I was abroad due to my father's work but when his work contract expired and we returned to the UK in time for my A-levels (2 years before starting university), I was classed as an international student when I applied, simply because I had not resided here for 3 straight years prior to the start of the course, despite having been here before my father went for work, and despite being a British citizen. I then appealed and proved to UCL that I was abroad on a temporary basis and so they changed my status to a home student after processing my appeal. So you should not assume that you'll be paying home fees and should be prepared to pay international fees, and I felt that you should know this before committing yourself 100% and before you plan all your finances.

Best of luck!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Yoyo94
Hi!

Your chances will be really high if you can demonstrate a well rounded personality, but you must also be academically sound and be declared able to meet their typical offers by your school (your predicted grades should be no less than their typical offer) to be considered. You will be guaranteed accommodation for the first year at UCL but I think you may need to find your own place to rent for the second year onwards. I'm not sure how business related departments operate but it's usually the case that you you apply through UCAS, send in your personal statement, references and predicted grades, get interviewed if you've passed the preliminary consideration stages, receive an offer and then all you need to do is meet their offer to be accepted. Since you're abroad, they might not call you in for an interview and they might try to coordinate a Skype interview (or similar) instead. You might not be interviewed at all, but it's best that you try and prepare by doing mock interviews so that you're on comfortable grounds when being interviewed.

I hope I helped you with your questions. I'd like to make you aware of something regarding your tuition fees, in case you weren't aware of it. Should you be accepted to study in the UK, you might be charged international fees because you might be classified an international student, having not resided in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of your course, despite being a Briton. You have to be very careful because international fees increase year on year and are significantly higher than the fees that 'Home students' pay (£9,000). Students who have resided in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of their course will be classed Home students, regardless of their nationality, if the main purpose of their residence in the UK during that time was not to receive full-time education (i.e. they normally live in the UK, so that if they weren't studying, they'd still be in the UK because they live here). This might mean that you will be charged international fees, unless you appeal their decisions and prove that you were out of the UK on a temporary basis (i.e. because of you parents' work, etc...), and so you must show them that you have maintained connection with / assets in the UK (so if you have not sold your house, not closed your bank account, etc.. then you might be able to prove to them that you were out of the UK temporarily).

The reason I brought that up is because I had assumed that I'll be paying home fees (£9,000) when I was abroad due to my father's work but when his work contract expired and we returned to the UK in time for my A-levels (2 years before starting university), I was classed as an international student when I applied, simply because I had not resided here for 3 straight years prior to the start of the course, despite having been here before my father went for work, and despite being a British citizen. I then appealed and proved to UCL that I was abroad on a temporary basis and so they changed my status to a home student after processing my appeal. So you should not assume that you'll be paying home fees and should be prepared to pay international fees, and I felt that you should know this before committing yourself 100% and before you plan all your finances.

Best of luck!

Bless your actual soul dude, thanks so much for the detailed response! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by MimiUNI
Bless your actual soul dude, thanks so much for the detailed response! :smile:

No worries! And thanks for your kind words. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Yoyo94
No worries! And thanks for your kind words. :smile:

You are kind of the only person that replied so do you mind me asking some more questions? Im new here is there a place where we can instant message?:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by MimiUNI
You are kind of the only person that replied so do you mind me asking some more questions? Im new here is there a place where we can instant message?:smile:

Haha I don't mind whatsoever. I'll send you a message to your inbox and you can reply to it just the same way as you reply to posts in a thread, and you can ask me whatever you want! :biggrin:
From IB perspective I can additionally tell you what my offer was: I needed to score 38 points with 18 in subjects on higher level. This, though, may obviously vary throughout the courses but when you look on their webpage it should say the range of scores they usually expect - in my case it were the highest requirements from that range.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending