The Student Room Group

Starting AS tomorrow...Advice?

I will be taking biology, chemistry and physics :smile:
I, thankfully, did quite well at GCSE (all As and A*s) :colondollar:
I am aware that A levels are much tougher, so some last-minute advice would be great...especially if you can give specific advice for the subjects I've chosen :biggrin:
Thanks in advance.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Take it seriously, don't get distracted by your friends, it seems you have potential to do very well.

Good luck.
Revise as you go along and then when you come to do it again in April or whatever you'll find you know most of it then come exam time you'll be cursing like nobody's buisness :cool:
It is quite a big step up. If you're anything like me, you may get worried after the first couple of weeks because you feel lost in your chosen subjects and you don't understand much. Just keep at it, eventually things will start to make sense. Don't drop out of a subject after only a week or two just because you haven't followed everything the tutor has said.
And of course, attend classes. Sounds obvious, but with the increased freedom that you get, you may be tempted to skip the odd class, but they add up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Hiya :smile: I can't give you a massive amount of advice but I am in the same boat as you! I started AS last Wednesday and I'm also doing biology and chemistry, as well as maths & French.

Initially, I'm finding biology to be quite a considerable jump from GCSE (and a hella lot of terminology to learn) but you will get it explained to you. It's important you go over everything you've learnt and make notes and summarise after each lesson to make sure you have an understanding of it. Our teacher also suggested making a glossary book for biology which you might like to take up.
Chemistry isn't so much of a jump at the moment, we're doing mass spectrometry and atomic structure which is all slightly more detailed than GCSE but easy to grasp. Obviously I don't know about physics but be prepared for it to be very tricky...I have a friend with 11A*s who is struggling with physics AS already.

Good luck :smile: I'm having a great time so far!
Revise as you go, not just near you exams, also do all your homework as soon as you can :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest