The Student Room Group

should I display myself as an American in Uni?

Hello, in going to college in a couple of months in my the UK and myself is an American. As you might or might not know, we are proud of everything and that includes being an American alone. Therefore, I would likely display a US flag in my dorm room. So my question is that should I do so because of the recent political tension of yea...
Also the uni I go to does NOT have a US student union, and I'm afraid I have no where to restore to. :frown:

Please help!
Reply 1
****in murica
By all means do so. But don't bang on about how you think America is better than the UK (a common mistake made by your countrymen) because you'll end up alienating yourself. Embrace and enjoy the great things about the UK, and try to look for the positives in the UK rather than making adverse comparisons.
Americans are great :smile:
Original post by Crumpet1
By all means do so. But don't bang on about how you think America is better than the UK (a common mistake made by your countrymen) because you'll end up alienating yourself. Embrace and enjoy the great things about the UK, and try to look for the positives in the UK rather than making adverse comparisons.

This.
No one is going to dislike you because you put your flag up in your own room. In fact, many people will like it and use it as a starting point to make conversation and even make friends with you.

As to there being an American Student Union at your uni, I didn't even know those existed. Every university has one main student union for everyone, which makes perfect sense. They are very helpful to all students, including international students (such as yourself), as well as mature students and disabled students. They will have everything needed to support you and give you advice.

So yes, if you want to then of course display your flag in your room. Being proud of where you're from is fine.
Just don't be so proud that you talk about thinking it's better than the UK, or compare them too much. People will not appreciate it, and it will alienate you.
Places are different, and it's far more important to embrace a new place and think of its positives. There will be many things you'll like more here :h:
I think it is quite easy to assume that we are not a patriotic nation, because we don't talk about patriotism, criticising our own country is practically a national sport, and overt patriotism is rarely displayed. But make no mistake - it is there and, like family, we can criticise it but outsiders doing so raises eyebrows.

Embrace the positives about the UK, there are many of them.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, in going to college in a couple of months in my the UK and myself is an American. As you might or might not know, we are proud of everything and that includes being an American alone. Therefore, I would likely display a US flag in my dorm room.

Crumpet1 said it all

Why not fly your flag
No-one will be annoyed that you are proud of your country

But you have chosen to come and study here so celebrate being here

What city are you going to be studying in?
Don't worry, as a french person I never had much problem in the UK when I moved there, apart during the rugby world cups/ 6 nations :wink: Now I'm back in France I often display british flags and I've only ever had good from it!

Again it's just as people have said how you respond to the country. Having moved countries and been in international communities I can tell you there's nothing worse than someone going on and on about how their country is better! I personally prefer england but there are aspects of France which I do miss when there (weather for example!)

Good luck anyhow, I think it's a great opportunity to study abroad :biggrin:
Reply 8
The student's union encompasses every student, you'll want to look for a dedicated society for Internaional students where you'll no doubt find other Americans. Although you shouldn't solely gravitate to them, since I assume you coming to the UK is in part to broaden your horizons and experiences.

Hanging a flag up in your room will be fine, just don't be arrogant about your nationality or you'll risk putting people off.
Hello, in going to college in a couple of months in my the UK and myself is an American. As you might or might not know, we are proud of everything and that includes being an American alone. Therefore, I would likely display a US flag in my dorm room. So my question is that should I do so because of the recent political tension of yea...
Also the uni I go to does NOT have a US student union, and I'm afraid I have no where to restore to. :frown:

Please help!

Regardless of tensions, i don't dislike americans what so ever, the people aren't to blame. Although maybe don't have a giant usa flag that covers the whole wall. Maybe one that's A4 size. Even we don't display our flag much, except for in london because it's a touristy thing to be honest :smile:
Plenty of different nations flags up in the windows of several student houses near us, from Brazil to Russia. Get it up and be proud if where you're from.

But always recognise that the UK is by far the greatest place on earth! 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Crumpet1

I do not bash other nations because all people should be respected. Anyways here's an example of how I would hang my flag: http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/03/46/89/57/0003468957084_500X500.jpg

Original post by Flyingaround
Regardless of tensions, i don't dislike americans what so ever, the people aren't to blame. Although maybe don't have a giant usa flag that covers the whole wall. Maybe one that's A4 size. Even we don't display our flag much, except for in london because it's a touristy thing to be honest :smile:

As giant as that ^

Original post by TenOfThem
Crumpet1 said it all

Why not fly your flag
No-one will be annoyed that you are proud of your country

But you have chosen to come and study here so celebrate being here

What city are you going to be studying in?

Somewhere around Leeds.
also I would enjoy a change! But I would not forget my Identity as a proud American.

Somewhere around Leeds.

Lots of international students then :smile:

Are you thinking of hanging it on the outside of your door - it might get taken :frown:
I do not bash other nations because all people should be respected. Anyways here's an example of how I would hang my flag: http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/03/46/89/57/0003468957084_500X500.jpg

As giant as that ^

Somewhere around Leeds.
also I would enjoy a change! But I would not forget my Identity as a proud American.

that's good too :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Don't. Cuz your politicians have ruined your pride for you. No nation in the world takes you seriously anymore, let alone Britain where we have so much of our own pride to handle.
Reply 15

Please help!

NOOO! Although being american is awesome and your constitution is the bomb (I'd totally love to move) americans a generally percieved as lacking cultural refinment and speaking too loudly. It would be way better if you got your hands on a monet print of some vermeer postcards and displayed those.
and myself is an American

Please help!

In Britain we would say "I am an American" as using 'myself' erroneously as you have done here is regarded as a failed attempt at pretentiousness.

Its up to you how you decorate your own room at uni, so the flag is your choice.

As others have said the SU is for all nationalities so you will be welcomed there whatever.

Enjoy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending