The Student Room Group

AS and A2 business in one year (AQA)

Hey everyone, Im planning on taking A level business in one year due to receiving poorer a level results than i was predicted. Do you think it is possible to do this and receive a good grade, by this I mean at least receive a grade B or above. I have got an A in A level geography and achieved straight As in GCSE but didnt do so well in my other 2 A levels for a number of reasons.

Also how hard do you reckon achieving this would be, it is the AQA specification.

Thanks!!
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by boing360
Hey everyone, Im planning on taking A level business in one year due to receiving poorer a level results than i was predicted. Do you think it is possible to do this and receive a good grade, by this I mean at least receive a grade B or above. I have got an A in A level geography and achieved straight As in GCSE but didnt do so well in my other 2 A levels for a number of reasons.

Also how hard do you reckon achieving this would be, it is the AQA specification.

Thanks!!

It is possible with lots of work! I've just finished studying A-level business with AQA. I found A2 a lot more interesting than AS though! A lot of the knowledge for AS is basic with a few new calculations, but it's not too difficult to learn- just make sure you master the exam technique because although the knowledge required is similar to GCSE, the exam technique is a lot different for A-level. Make sure you practice exam technique and timing with lots of practice papers and you will be fine, and also for unit 4 remember to do A LOT of research if you want the A/A* grade!

PS I also studied A-level Geography. I found it a lot harder than Business Studies- whilst I got a high B in Business, I only managed to scrape a C in Geography.. so I'm pretty confident you'll be able to do well in Business if you can manage Geography. :smile::wink:
Reply 3
Hey! Im doing applied business AS and A2 ( AQA) in one year as well! So worried. Could you give me some advise please? I did not do business GCSE so I know nothing about it. Is there any books or good resources what can help me? And what would you recommend me to do , how to revise, start courseworks?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by Annnnnnt
It is possible with lots of work! I've just finished studying A-level business with AQA. I found A2 a lot more interesting than AS though! A lot of the knowledge for AS is basic with a few new calculations, but it's not too difficult to learn- just make sure you master the exam technique because although the knowledge required is similar to GCSE, the exam technique is a lot different for A-level. Make sure you practice exam technique and timing with lots of practice papers and you will be fine, and also for unit 4 remember to do A LOT of research if you want the A/A* grade!

PS I also studied A-level Geography. I found it a lot harder than Business Studies- whilst I got a high B in Business, I only managed to scrape a C in Geography.. so I'm pretty confident you'll be able to do well in Business if you can manage Geography. :smile::wink:

You found A-level business aqa interesting... it is the most boring a-level ever
Original post by chemistrykid123
You found A-level business aqa interesting... it is the most boring a-level ever

Well we can agree to disagree. :cool:
Original post by boing360

Thanks!!

Did you go ahead with it? I want to do this next year so how did you find it?
Reply 7
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Did you go ahead with it? I want to do this next year so how did you find it?

Yeah I did and it's been going well although I haven't had any real exams I've got all As in every mick I've ever done
Reply 8
I did this and got an A*
It is 100% doable if you're willing to put in the work.
Original post by Revel
I did this and got an A*
It is 100% doable if you're willing to put in the work.

Well done man, i would love to have a result like that esp after 1 year :biggrin:

What other subjects were you studying at the time alongside your business one year A level ?
Reply 10
Well done man, i would love to have a result like that esp after 1 year :biggrin:

What other subjects were you studying at the time alongside your business one year A level ?

Maths, Physics and Law.
Original post by Revel
Maths, Physics and Law.

You did all of those at A2 as well as Business AS+A2 in one year? I'm gonna do Maths and Chem at A2 but if I do Business AS+A2, I will have to sit the exams at June, no more Jan exams. :frown:

When did you do your A levels?
Reply 12
You did all of those at A2 as well as Business AS+A2 in one year? I'm gonna do Maths and Chem at A2 but if I do Business AS+A2, I will have to sit the exams at June, no more Jan exams. :frown:

When did you do your A levels?

Yes, I did those three at AS and then I actually decided I wanted four in A2. And 2011-2013.
Original post by Revel
Yes, I did those three at AS and then I actually decided I wanted four in A2. And 2011-2013.

Ahh so I guess you did AS in January and A2 in June? I don't get to do that so I don't know how well I would be doing until June. Big risk for me :/
Reply 14
Ahh so I guess you did AS in January and A2 in June? I don't get to do that so I don't know how well I would be doing until June. Big risk for me :/

It can be done and to a high grade, or they wouldn't offer it :smile:
Reply 15
I am currently doing Business A-Level AQA fast-track (AS and the A2 in the same year), I absolutely hate it! I regret taking it! Me and my friend do it together and we both hate it. The lessons are terrible and really boring. For the AS, it is basic, you just need to know the exam technique with is basically PEEL and then a conclusion as usual, with both sides to the argument and you must include parts from the scenario. But, I wouldn't recommend picking it up, we did it to fill our timetable up and its horrendous. The A2 includes doing your own research which isn't right because you should be learning a course to remember, not dong your own research! If you do pick it up, good luck!
Original post by rossnl
I am currently doing Business A-Level AQA fast-track (AS and the A2 in the same year), I absolutely hate it! I regret taking it! Me and my friend do it together and we both hate it. The lessons are terrible and really boring. For the AS, it is basic, you just need to know the exam technique with is basically PEEL and then a conclusion as usual, with both sides to the argument and you must include parts from the scenario. But, I wouldn't recommend picking it up, we did it to fill our timetable up and its horrendous. The A2 includes doing your own research which isn't right because you should be learning a course to remember, not dong your own research! If you do pick it up, good luck!

What other subjects do you do with it? Do you say it's 'horrendous' because it's hard or you find it boring? I wouldn't mind the research tbh, I just need to know if it's easy enough to be done in one year :smile:

What grade are you getting on mocks and homework essays etc.?
Reply 17
What other subjects do you do with it? Do you say it's 'horrendous' because it's hard or you find it boring? I wouldn't mind the research tbh, I just need to know if it's easy enough to be done in one year :smile:

What grade are you getting on mocks and homework essays etc.?

I do A2 Law with it, which is my priority. It is really boring, nothing is interesting or related to real life, it's awful. There are a couple of difficult things in unit 3, part of the A2, which my teacher even managed to mix up, so we are all confused about it.. I am getting a C grade in the AS, units 1 and 2, then a D in the 3rd unit, we still haven't done a unit 4 mock yet haha.
Tbh, if you're looking for a subject to fast track, do Communications and Culture, or it's called Communication Studies, it's so easy. There's nothing to it and you're guaranteed an easy, high grade A-Level, you just have to do videos as coursework but they can be on anything you like, they don't have to be about you. You can easily get a high grade in it, so guaranteed UMS for uni. Also, no employers know what it is so you can blag it to be anything you want it to be.
Original post by rossnl
I do A2 Law with it, which is my priority. It is really boring, nothing is interesting or related to real life, it's awful. There are a couple of difficult things in unit 3, part of the A2, which my teacher even managed to mix up, so we are all confused about it.. I am getting a C grade in the AS, units 1 and 2, then a D in the 3rd unit, we still haven't done a unit 4 mock yet haha.
Tbh, if you're looking for a subject to fast track, do Communications and Culture, or it's called Communication Studies, it's so easy. There's nothing to it and you're guaranteed an easy, high grade A-Level, you just have to do videos as coursework but they can be on anything you like, they don't have to be about you. You can easily get a high grade in it, so guaranteed UMS for uni. Also, no employers know what it is so you can blag it to be anything you want it to be.

Ahh i don't think my school offers that course xD. Been looking at past papers, seems okay.

For business, did you sit in AS and A2 lessons? And how come you only do Law as your other subject?
Reply 19
Ahh i don't think my school offers that course xD. Been looking at past papers, seems okay.

For business, did you sit in AS and A2 lessons? And how come you only do Law as your other subject?

Yeah, I do both the AS and A2 lessons, 4 and a half hours a week of each. I am doing a 3rd year, I already have 2 A-Levels, business is just a timetable filler for my law

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending