The Student Room Group

"Enrichment" options

I've just started Year 12, and alongside our AS's we've been offered the chance to do an "enrichment" option. I chose Critical Thinking as my first choice, as it leads to an extra full AS level and apparently is recommended if you are considering application to Oxford or Cambridge (?) However, due to problems with my timetable, I have to do a "Young People's Arts Award" instead. Whilst I don't mind this too much, does this actually lead to anything useful I can put on my CV, and is it on a similar level to Critical Thinking? In fact, does anyone know anything about it at all?? My school has been very vague about it.

Hope someone can help!
Reply 1
For my enrichment during Year 12, I had the opportunity to do a few things including "Young Enterprise". I presume this is similar to the "Young People's Arts Award".

For Young Enterprise, from memory, we got a certificate which was NVQ Level 2 (or 3, forgot, sorry!). No idea what this means to be honest, but I think it's higher than GCSE, but not quite as high as an A level (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

If this is so, then it could possibly be more beneficial taking Critical Thinking as that's a "full" AS / A level once completed (and passed).
Reply 2
My school chose me (as part of a group of 4) to do this Royal Academy of engineering BEST engineering challenge thing for enrichment, which was utterly, utterly wonderful :smile:

We got to mess around solving interesting problems with pretty much all the resources we could possibly want at our disposal, and we had a residential session for 4 nights at the university of birmingham to build and test prototypes.

Just in case anybody was thinking of having a go, do, it was absolutely fantastic.
Xtrm2Matt
For my enrichment during Year 12, I had the opportunity to do a few things including "Young Enterprise". I presume this is similar to the "Young People's Arts Award".

For Young Enterprise, from memory, we got a certificate which was NVQ Level 2 (or 3, forgot, sorry!). No idea what this means to be honest, but I think it's higher than GCSE, but not quite as high as an A level (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

If this is so, then it could possibly be more beneficial taking Critical Thinking as that's a "full" AS / A level once completed (and passed).

Taken from wikipedia;

Their academic equivalents are: NVQ 1 = foundation GNVQ/three to four GCSEs at grades D-E
NVQ 2 = four to five GCSEs at grades A-C
NVQ 3 = two A levels
NVQ 4 = degree
NVQ 5 = postgraduate qualification
Reply 4
michaelbenson
Taken from wikipedia;

Cheers for that. Will have to follow that up and see what NVQ level we achieved :smile:
toipot2
My school chose me (as part of a group of 4) to do this Royal Academy of engineering BEST engineering challenge thing for enrichment, which was utterly, utterly wonderful :smile:

We got to mess around solving interesting problems with pretty much all the resources we could possibly want at our disposal, and we had a residential session for 4 nights at the university of birmingham to build and test prototypes.

Just in case anybody was thinking of having a go, do, it was absolutely fantastic.

Engineering Education Scheme, yes, I did it too... depends a lot on whether you like practical work, and which company you end up paired with of course. For our project we didn't actually get organised until the uni workshop and spent most of that designing on paper and we did pretty much all of the actual manufacture in our school workshop. Which meant we were working on the damn thing right up the report deadline. Stressful! All in all was great though, once it had finished we wondered what on earth we ever used our frees, breaktimes and lunchtimes for before it consumed our lives.

Personally I'd go for the "Arts Award" instead (if I were an arty person). CT is a bit of a meaningless AS-level, like General Studies... At least the Arty one is a bit different, it stands out, they can ask you about it at an interview and stuff.
Reply 6
We probably did have one of the better companies, we had met with them several times before even the induction day :smile:

HS Marston were our sponsers, we were the St Peter's Collegiate school team, which year did you did it?

I was there in year 12, so thats 04/05

Wasnt that stressful for us :smile: think we had too much time on our hands after getting everything sorted so early, we had even written a script for the musical we were going to present to the board of Marstons (Industrial Grease :smile: )
toipot2
We probably did have one of the better companies, we had met with them several times before even the induction day :smile:

HS Marston were our sponsers, we were the St Peter's Collegiate school team, which year did you did it?

I was there in year 12, so thats 04/05

Wasnt that stressful for us :smile: think we had too much time on our hands after getting everything sorted so early, we had even written a script for the musical we were going to present to the board of Marstons (Industrial Grease :smile: )

We had Network Rail, and we were the King Edward Five Ways school team... we did it the same year as you in fact!

Oh I bet you were one of those groups with incredibly large and complicated looking devices we saw on the NEC day where we walked by and thought "They did not make that by themselves." I remember one group had a robot. A robot!

Yes, we had to make almost all our bits in the school workshop, and didn't properly know what our project was until the university when they actually bothered to give us one of the damn CRT screens our whole project was based around. And the most help I think the mentor engineer gave us, I think, was to give a couple of us a lift to a shop to buy a trolley... once we had to take the bus and train to a materials merchant by ourselves to buy something we needed.

Latest

Trending

Trending