The Student Room Group

UNIVERSITY ADVICE NEEDED! Economics vs Management (thanks)

Thanks for looking, I am going into year 13 with the academic profile below :P

Spoiler

I am wanting to study a business/management/economic themed course.
I have taken a like to Bath, Durham, Lancaster and am going to go down to look at LSE and UCL on my own.

I appreciate I don't have the profile for economics at LSE but I'm unsure about management there (http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2014/management/N200_BSc_Man.aspx) - the offer is AAB with an A in maths.

I'm not sure if I would receive offers from these places due to my academic previous performances and was wondering if someone could help :biggrin:

I was thinking of applying for:
LSE
UCL
DURHAM
LANCASTER
MANCHESTER

Off my grades, are any of these/which would be feasible for me to apply to for economics &/or management. - Is this too ambitious, how risky/safe should I go?

Also, I have heard that economics is valued more for banking than management but I was wondering to what extent this is true in the real world?

Thanks for making it through this slog of a post! :wink:

All advice and comments welcome and appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
BUMP!
Reply 2
Original post by idgentles
hey, you have good choices now, lancaster im not too sure about lol. with your grades, applying to warwick is a possibility. I did well last year but not as good as you haha. I plan to go risky and try to write a killer PS. applying to Warwick>bath>king>exeter/durham: for management

if I get into any of these I'll be extremely happy :smile:

with your grades economics might be better for you because you obviously have high mathematical ability. just my opinon, what do you think about my choices? :smile:

Yeah it'd be a fourth or fifth maybe - not too sure yet! Yeah from what I can gather the PS if done well can really enhance an application :biggrin: Yeah, I've heard through that for Warwick amongst others further maths can aid which I don't have:tongue:

From my POV I'd say they are a very strong set! I don't really know about Exeter though but the others look solid for management! Its hard to know wheres best to apply though because I don't know your subjects - I know some places are picky about A level maths with management which hopefully isn't an issue for you :smile:
Original post by Audi
Yeah it'd be a fourth or fifth maybe - not too sure yet! Yeah from what I can gather the PS if done well can really enhance an application :biggrin: Yeah, I've heard through that for Warwick amongst others further maths can aid which I don't have:tongue:

From my POV I'd say they are a very strong set! I don't really know about Exeter though but the others look solid for management! Its hard to know wheres best to apply though because I don't know your subjects - I know some places are picky about A level maths with management which hopefully isn't an issue for you :smile:

interesting, thanks it always makes me feel better when someone apprives those choices haha. yeah I have maths at AS but im gonna drop it. dont worry though, ive checked it out and the unis Im gonna apply to dont require it. (warrick prefers it but hey, they dont call it a lotto pick for nothing :smile:). exeter is really good, they have strong grad links to well paying professional organisations such as Disney, kpmg and deliotte :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by idgentles
interesting, thanks it always makes me feel better when someone apprives those choices haha. yeah I have maths at AS but im gonna drop it. dont worry though, ive checked it out and the unis Im gonna apply to dont require it. (warrick prefers it but hey, they dont call it a lotto pick for nothing :smile:). exeter is really good, they have strong grad links to well paying professional organisations such as Disney, kpmg and deliotte :smile:

Fair enough! Yeah if your other results are strong and your personal statement good then it probably won't make a difference - you should still receive an offer :smile: Yeah you seem to have done a good bit of research by the sounds of it! They are some very notable firms indeed!

Best of luck :biggrin:
Original post by Audi
Fair enough! Yeah if your other results are strong and your personal statement good then it probably won't make a difference - you should still receive an offer :smile: Yeah you seem to have done a good bit of research by the sounds of it! They are some very notable firms indeed!

Best of luck :biggrin:

yeah I have!! good luck man, I hope we both get our first choices :smile:
Original post by Audi
Thanks for looking, I am going into year 13 with the academic profile below :P

Spoiler

I am wanting to study a business/management/economic themed course.
I have taken a like to Bath, Durham, Lancaster and am going to go down to look at LSE and UCL on my own.

I appreciate I don't have the profile for economics at LSE but I'm unsure about management there (http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2014/management/N200_BSc_Man.aspx) - the offer is AAB with an A in maths.

I'm not sure if I would receive offers from these places due to my academic previous performances and was wondering if someone could help :biggrin:

I was thinking of applying for:
LSE
UCL
DURHAM
LANCASTER
MANCHESTER

Off my grades, are any of these/which would be feasible for me to apply to for economics &/or management. - Is this too ambitious, how risky/safe should I go?

Also, I have heard that economics is valued more for banking than management but I was wondering to what extent this is true in the real world?

Thanks for making it through this slog of a post! :wink:

All advice and comments welcome and appreciated :smile:

LSE is the obvious top in your list. UCL's good for economics too. Their management courses are more towards information management or management science. If you don't get very good predicted A levels, then applying to LSE would be just a lot of hope, esp for Economics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending