The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

What is Exeter like?

Hi, I'm starting to look at unis, and am having a hard time narrowing down which unis I'm going to go to open days for - right now there's 12 so...
1) What type of people do you generally get at Exeter?
2) What are the performing arts societies like?
3) Is there a big booze culture?
4) What is accommodation like?
5) In self catered accommodation what are the kitchens like?
6) Anyone doing geography - opinions?
7) Anyone doing law - opinions?
Thanks!!
Original post by nmnorgan305
Hi, I'm starting to look at unis, and am having a hard time narrowing down which unis I'm going to go to open days for - right now there's 12 so...
Thanks!!

1) Like all Universities you get a complete mix. It does have a bit of a reputation as being full of posh southerners but it's not like that at all. I've met people from all around the country, from all classes, and 99.9% of people couldn't care less where you're from or how well off you are.

2) Off the top of my head you have Footlights, which is based around musical theatre, and the Drama society which is more for Drama students but is open to anybody and does put on plenty of productions. I haven't been involved in either but had a housemate in 2nd year who was in Footlights and absolutely loved it.

3) Again, as with any University there is and there isn't. If you want to get smashed all the time then you will be able to without a problem, but equally if you don't want to then most societies don't pressure you into drinking on their socials and there are plenty of people around who don't drink much. The only tricky area is with sports clubs, the vast majority of which have socials which are pretty much focussed around drinking vast quantities, but this is the same at every single University anywhere in the country, and while they do push you to drink it's perfectly possible to go along without drinking much at all, I've done it with Cricket many times.

4) It varies from cheap & cheerful to expensive & s****y. Thanks to the renovation that has been done and the new blocks that have been built there isn't any bad accommodation whatsoever, even the cheapest rooms are clean, tidy and all have good kitchens for the flat.

5) Varies between accommodation, but they'll always have an oven, hob, couple of fridges & freezers and enough storage space for one or two cupboards per person. I don't know anybody that had a problem with their kitchen being too small or too poorly equipped.

6&7) Can't help you at all here unfortunately, being an Engineering student!

Any other questions feel free to ask.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
I'm also thinking about Exeter. Could I add a few questions?

1) How catered is the catered accommodation? Do they provide all your meals?

2) How are they thought of in terms of maths / physics?

3) Are there many opportunities for part-time work while you're there? Will the workload make this impossible anyway?

4) How much is there to do that doesn't involve drinking excessively?

(Sorry for barging in on your thread)
2) There's also Shotgun Theatre, Theatre With Teeth, Gilbert & Sullivan Society, EUTCo, plus opportunities to do stuff through XTV.

(That's the OP's 2, btw!)
Original post by lerjj

3) Are there many opportunities for part-time work while you're there? Will the workload make this impossible anyway?

1) Breakfast and dinner/tea/supper/whatever you call it every day; plus bunch at the weekends.

3) Take a look here.

4) There are like 200 societies so you should be able to find plenty!
Reply 5
Original post by lerjj

No problem! The more the merrier :smile:
Original post by lerjj

1) Breakfast & dinner provided 7 days a week. My personal opinion however is that you should go for self-catered if you have the option. It's a bit cheaper, gives you a chance to learn to cook which is a skill that is always useful to have, and if you don't feel like cooking then it is possible to buy a ticket to get breakfast or dinner from one of the self catered blocks for a few quid.

2) I believe that both departments are fairly well regarded but being an Engineering student I can't say too much more than that.

3) See the link that Persipan posted. On top of that however there are always places in town looking for part-time staff, it's very much a Student city and so there are a lot of term-time jobs that are taken by students.

4) Again, see the link that Persipan posted.
Original post by Persipan
1) Breakfast and dinner/tea/supper/whatever you call it every day; plus bunch at the weekends.

3) Take a look here.

4) There are like 200 societies so you should be able to find plenty!

God damn it Persipan, stop beating me to questions!
Original post by mackemforever
God damn it Persipan, stop beating me to questions!

Mwahahahaha!
Reply 9

2) I believe that both departments are fairly well regarded but being an Engineering student I can't say too much more than that.

I've got Exeter as insurance and chances are i'll probably end up there. I've seen quite a few threads about people failing to find accommodation and it's starting to worry me.

Is accommodation really that bad at exeter? And if you don't mind me asking, what kind of Engineering are you doing?
Original post by Trupac
I've got Exeter as insurance and chances are i'll probably end up there. I've seen quite a few threads about people failing to find accommodation and it's starting to worry me.

Is accommodation really that bad at exeter? And if you don't mind me asking, what kind of Engineering are you doing?

I'm doing Electronics. What have you applied for?

Accommodation at Exeter for insurance students is no different to most Universities around the country. They only have enough space to guarantee on-campus accommodation for people that make it their firm choice and they can offer a limited number of rooms to those who get in through insurance.

If you do have to find your own accommodation it's not actually that difficult. There's always plenty of houses that are rented to students but have a room or two spare, there's a few different companies who have large blocks of flats in a similar style to the University managed rooms, and unless you're very picky it's pretty simple to find somewhere to live.
Reply 11
I'm doing Electronics. What have you applied for?

Accommodation at Exeter for insurance students is no different to most Universities around the country. They only have enough space to guarantee on-campus accommodation for people that make it their firm choice and they can offer a limited number of rooms to those who get in through insurance.

If you do have to find your own accommodation it's not actually that difficult. There's always plenty of houses that are rented to students but have a room or two spare, there's a few different companies who have large blocks of flats in a similar style to the University managed rooms, and unless you're very picky it's pretty simple to find somewhere to live.

I've applied for Electronics and Computer Science. The Engineering department's ranked 42 in the 2015 complete uni guide though:s-smilie:

Thanks for the reply.
Im in year 12 and considering Exeter for english lit. May I ask for clarification on the accomodation system? Like, how do they pick? Is it first come first serve? What if you're poor? What if they have no rooms for you and you live too far?
Apologies for the ignorance and thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by nmnorgan305
Thanks!!

I can only answer some of the questions. I have just made Exeter my form choice after going to a taster day, so this is going by what I saw from current students.

1) As with everywhere there is a real mix. There seem to be quite a lot of sporty people around campus, there are also quite a lot of indie/vintage/alternative students also. You saw quite a few posh people and some were not so posh. It really is the same as anywhere else.

3) Erm, there are plenty of Pubs to choose from and a few clubs, but again this depends on the student. There were students I met who really loved their booze, but there were some students I met that go out once every two weeks or less. So whichever category you fit into, you won't be alone.

3 & 4) I only looked at Lafrowda halls and they were self catered. The rooms aren't massive, but they are big enough and I thought they were actually quite cosy. If you're used to having a big bedroom you may find it hard to get used to, but hey, it's a bed and 4 walls with a roof, i'm not complaining XD The en suite bathrooms are small, but they are all you will need. I liked the accommodation, but I went into it not expecting much. The kitchens, I thought, were lovely and a descent size. You get your own sections for your food etc. The kitchen seemed very clean. They are cleaned twice a week. One is a deep clean and another is a light clean, however you are responsible for at least making it tidy enough for the cleaner to do his/her job.
Original post by Will Shakespeare
Im in year 12 and considering Exeter for english lit. May I ask for clarification on the accomodation system? Like, how do they pick? Is it first come first serve? What if you're poor? What if they have no rooms for you and you live too far?
Apologies for the ignorance and thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you make Exeter your firm choice then they guarantee you accommodation.

Essentially after you've been made an offer you submit your accommodation application, which involves making three choices, so your first, second and third favourite options, and then the University will allocate rooms accordingly after that, attempting to give as many students as possible their first choice.

If you are worried about not being able to afford anything more than the basic accommodation then when you submit your accommodation application you should get in touch with the University to explain the situation, and in my experience they are very helpful. I know two guys here who would have been unable to afford anything more than the cheapest accommodation, basic room in old Lafrowda, and when they applied they told the University this and they made sure that both of them were allocated a room in that accommodation.

I'm not entirely sure how it works if you make Exeter your insurance choice. I know that they do not guarantee you a room in University owned accommodation, but that they can usually give some insurance students a place. However there are a few independently managed blocks of flats in the city, which are similar in style to the University accommodation, all of which usually have rooms available when insurance students find out whether they are going here or not, and there are always plenty of rooms available in privately rented student houses. So while as an insurance student there's a good chance you won't be living on campus and won't be living in a house/flat with other freshers, it is always possible to find yourself a room somewhere not too far from the University.
Hello, I have lived in Exeter most of my life here are the essentials: (these aim to confirm or debunk some of the stereotypes I have encountered about my home city)

1) we are not all farmers or surfers, Exeter is a middling size city without venturing outside it you wouldn't know it was in one off the least populated counties in England.
(We don't all speak like farmers ether)

2)As for the people. Exeter is quite white, a bit middle England. That said there is a decent Asian population and also some Polish. There are also many people form all round the world who are here because of the University.

3) What you may well know about the west of England is that it got very flooded at the beginning of last year. Exeter is 10 miles in land, we don't get flooded. The Train to Ex-mouth is about 20 mins and £4.

4) We do have clubbing and several venues. You will run out of new places pretty quickly but they all do different events which keep it quite fresh. If you want Indie there is Caven if you want a cheep fun night but ur not worried about the class then there is RaCoco's or EX4. Plus several more decent places. Lots of pubs.

5) There is sooooo much accommodation popping up all the time. Plenty of new lux private halls or lots of late Victorian terice houses for students. Exeter is quite student dominated. And that works for people are age. Student discounts, student nights etc..
If you make Exeter your firm choice then they guarantee you accommodation.

Essentially after you've been made an offer you submit your accommodation application, which involves making three choices, so your first, second and third favourite options, and then the University will allocate rooms accordingly after that, attempting to give as many students as possible their first choice.

If you are worried about not being able to afford anything more than the basic accommodation then when you submit your accommodation application you should get in touch with the University to explain the situation, and in my experience they are very helpful. I know two guys here who would have been unable to afford anything more than the cheapest accommodation, basic room in old Lafrowda, and when they applied they told the University this and they made sure that both of them were allocated a room in that accommodation.

I'm not entirely sure how it works if you make Exeter your insurance choice. I know that they do not guarantee you a room in University owned accommodation, but that they can usually give some insurance students a place. However there are a few independently managed blocks of flats in the city, which are similar in style to the University accommodation, all of which usually have rooms available when insurance students find out whether they are going here or not, and there are always plenty of rooms available in privately rented student houses. So while as an insurance student there's a good chance you won't be living on campus and won't be living in a house/flat with other freshers, it is always possible to find yourself a room somewhere not too far from the University.

Thank you so much! That explains a lot. Are you an Exeter student?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Will Shakespeare
Thank you so much! That explains a lot. Are you an Exeter student?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, so if you've got any other questions feel free to ask them here or drop me a PM and I'll do my best to answer them for you.
Yep, so if you've got any other questions feel free to ask them here or drop me a PM and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Hi,
I plan to firm Exeter University. As such I am now deciding on an appropriate accommodation. I prefer somewhere catered, close to the the university/lecture halls,and preferably new/modern? I do not really fancy old buildings although they're full of character,just personal preference.

After some research,I've come across Holland Hall,which seems new,catered and close to campus.
BUT
I've heard that most rich or snobbish ppl live there? And there have been cases of bullying too. Is this true?

I'm actually a non-white international student,so naturally I am, really really worried about not fitting in or making friends.

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending