The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work America 2015

I can't seem to find a thread for this so thought I'd make one.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to be doing work America in summer 2015 and applications open in September.

Is anyone thinking of doing work america with BUNAC in 2015?

Or has anyone done it this year and has any advice? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I'm looking to do it! :smile: can't seem to find any other threads about it though!
Reply 2
Original post by Kerrielouisej
I'm looking to do it! :smile: can't seem to find any other threads about it though!

Yay! What placement are you thinking of doing? :smile: me neither! Only from this year's!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe self placement and then upgrade to full placement of I'm not having any luck I think what about you? I have no idea what sort of jobs would be available though haha although any job would be amazing! I'm just unsure if we get our money back if we're unable to find anything?!
Reply 4
Maybe self placement and then upgrade to full placement of I'm not having any luck I think what about you? I have no idea what sort of jobs would be available though haha although any job would be amazing! I'm just unsure if we get our money back if we're unable to find anything?!

That's a nice idea! I think I'll do the full placement!
Yes any job would be incredible! I've been looking into it for years and can finally do it next summer, the main jobs seem to involve working at theme parks, water parks, souvenir shops, waitressing, summer camp helpers etc.

I don't think you can get your deposit back but with the full placement it says you're guaranteed a job :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm looking into doing BUNAC in 2015 too and after a think i decided on the full placement :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by natalie2507
I'm looking into doing BUNAC in 2015 too and after a think i decided on the full placement :smile:

Do you know what state you'd prefer to go to?! 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bethanychoo
Do you know what state you'd prefer to go to?! 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not quite sure id probably like somewhere busy and easy to travel to other states around. How about yourself? 😁
Ah it all sounds so amazing! Full placement does sound good, at least we'll be placed with other people on the programme too! I'd also love to be placed somewhere busy with easy access to transport etc to make it so much easier when it comes to travelling haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Ah it all sounds so amazing! Full placement does sound good, at least we'll be placed with other people on the programme too! I'd also love to be placed somewhere busy with easy access to transport etc to make it so much easier when it comes to travelling haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah exactly! I don't think I'd like to go out there without a job and hand around cvs!! Yep me too, that would be ideal! The travelling will be so exciting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by natalie2507
I'm not quite sure id probably like somewhere busy and easy to travel to other states around. How about yourself? 😁

Me too! There are so many states I want to go to so I don't really mind! But somewhere near other states would be perfect :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
To people who've already been on the program:

I want to know how much $$ people come away with, if any?

Do you earn enough to come home with a considerable amount of extra cash or is all spent on living there and the travelling period after the program ends?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, I did the program this year in Texas, through self placement. Most jobs are in hospitality, I worked as a server, meaning I got only paid tips. I came home with a good amount of cash, more than double what it cost to do the program and flights.
Original post by emmaxoxo
Hey guys, I did the program this year in Texas, through self placement. Most jobs are in hospitality, I worked as a server, meaning I got only paid tips. I came home with a good amount of cash, more than double what it cost to do the program and flights.

Thats anazing! Would you recommend the programme? :smile:
Original post by emmaxoxo

Wow that's quite a lot! I am only hoping to break even! Did you go travelling after too? If so do you mind me asking roughly what you spent on travelling?

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, I'd definitely recommend the program. I didnt get the chance to go traveling unfortunately.
I'm also really looking into doing something like this either in 2015 or the summer after, does anyone know how much previous experience we need (if any) things like part time jobs etc.. ?
Original post by natalalala
I'm also really looking into doing something like this either in 2015 or the summer after, does anyone know how much previous experience we need (if any) things like part time jobs etc.. ?

I don't think you need very much! Maybe the more you have the more likely you are to get offered certain jobs? Such as if you've worked with kids before, maybe you're more likely to be accepted for a job involving children? If you've working in retail you're more likely to be accepted for a shop role.. I'm not entirely sure but that's what it sounds like to me. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,

I just got back from my summer in America and can tell you now, it will be the best decision of your life.
i would recommend you do self placement and then if you find you are struggling, upgrade.
I worked for Candy Kitchen, in ocean city, Maryland. Best job I've ever had, great location on the beach, a few student centres which do all kinds of trips. Candy kitchen has good accomodation too, the rent is a fixed rate and they take it weekly from your pay slips. I did kind of kick myself for not going for a servers job at first when I realised how much money some of my friends were making but I had so much fun this summer that I stopped caring.
i earnt enough money to live off and do trips to Washington, New York, Philly, Niagara Falls, six flags and 8 days on the west coast before I came home
Reply 19
Hi everyone

i've booked onto the full placement programme for next summer and i already cannot wait!

Just a few questions i have at this momment in time; Do your employers (or BUNAC) provide accomodation or do we sort that out ourselves? & Is it worth it paying for the BUNAC flight plan or would it be better just to sort our own?

Thank You :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest