The Student Room Group

Why is red bad?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RocketCiaranJ
Then why would we be afraid of red at all? Wouldn't we simply "learn it", having parents to depend on for survival?

What? You aren't getting what i'm saying.

I'm saying that we are born afraid of red. If we live in a society that lives meal to meal and we are exposed to blood and guts -> food as a kid we aren't afraid of red anymore.

If we live in a society where we don't get exposed to that we continue to be afraid of red.
Maybe it's because the colour reminds us that we're flawed. I mean, people can try to appear as this pacifist, non-violent, civilized people but maybe, the colour red, the colour of blood, anger, rage, passion, lust, love and all that, reminds us that we fall prey to our baser, primal instincts.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar
Original post by Okorange
What? You aren't getting what i'm saying.

I'm saying that we are born afraid of red. If we live in a society that lives meal to meal and we are exposed to blood and guts -> food as a kid we aren't afraid of red anymore.

If we live in a society where we don't get exposed to that we continue to be afraid of red.

Alright, but why doesn't the hunting instinct take precedence over family relationships? You said because our parents can protect us. So, by that logic, why do we have any dislike of read at all; if our parents can protect us physically?
Alright, but why doesn't the hunting instinct take precedence over family relationships? You said because our parents can protect us. So, by that logic, why do we have any dislike of read at all; if our parents can protect us physically?

Interesting question. I think our parents can protect us but we still need to be afraid of red because our friends and family can still get hurt and injured and even babies can draw attention to that by crying so others can help.
Red = communism.
Interesting question. I think our parents can protect us but we still need to be afraid of red because our friends and family can still get hurt and injured and even babies can draw attention to that by crying so others can help.

Wouldn't the crying also alert predators to the child's position?
I like red.
Wouldn't the crying also alert predators to the child's position?

I guess but then again you would open a whole new line of questioning as to why babies cry in the first place. I'm guessing that even if your parent was hurt other people in your group would come protect you from predators and help save the parent.

Its clearly beneficial to their survival that babies cry or else that would have been selected out of the gene pool.
I guess but then again you would open a whole new line of questioning as to why babies cry in the first place. I'm guessing that even if your parent was hurt other people in your group would come protect you from predators and help save the parent.

Its clearly beneficial to their survival that babies cry or else that would have been selected out of the gene pool.

Good point.
“Will all great Neptune's ocean wash this blood Clean from my hand? No, this my hand will rather The multitudinous seas in incarnadine, Making the green one red."

~Macbeth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending