The Student Room Group

So I got a parking ticket in a carpark, pay or contest?

So I parked in the carpark of an out of town retail park. OK, my manuvering's ****, new driver n that, which is why I usually try and find somewhere with as few cars as possible.

One of my wheels was over the bay lines, and when I got back, I found a parking ticket on my windscreen from UK Parking Control. £60/£30 (14 days). Said I had clearly agreed to the terms and conditions on the private land yadada and the fine was for incorrect parking.

There wasn't any signs in front, or either side of my car. So if you imagine a circle, it's the top half, 180 degrees with no signage. Can I appeal that it was unreasonable and unclear signage and I did not agree to a contract?

Or just totally batten down the hatches and refuse to pay?
Reply 1
I had one from McDonalds and one from a Lidl, I just ignored them and they only sent 2 warning letters and thats it.
Lol contest it. Always contest you could win
Reply 3
Over at the MSE forums they have a 100% success rate for POPLA appeals. Follow their guides and win :smile:
Original post by Reue
Over at the MSE forums they have a 100% success rate for POPLA appeals. Follow their guides and win :smile:

Right, I'll do that then. I admit, my parking's pretty ****ty at times and sometimes, I'm just lazy, though not hazardrous.

But still, the timestamp of it was something like 5 mins after I left my car. Them people must just stare at every car coming in or something. Vultures.
OK, first things first: You did not get a parking ticket. You were on private land so what you have been given is an invoice for parking on this land, these companies design the invoices to look like parking tickets but they aren't actually parking tickets. This invoice is not enforceable and the police would have no interest in doing so.
I got one for spending to long in an Aldi carpark a few years ago, I completely ignored it and after two letters they left me alone.
This is a practice very close to speculative invoicing, they know that a high percentage of people won't bother paying up but enough people will be intimidated enough to make it worth doing.
Reply 6
Council carpark? Pay up.
Independent? Ignore.
I got a "parking ticket" from an independent car park in January 2013. (Parked in a disabled bay with my husband, who has a blue badge, but I forgot to put the badge on the windscreen.)

I've been ignoring it - got a few follow up letters so far that have also ended up in the bin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending