The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Clubba

-2012 Cutoff2012 Mean score2013 Cutoff2013 Mean score2014 Predicted cutoff2014 Prelim Mean score
VR550579.65504556.55550579
QR610656.35612654.5650698
AR580633.09599660.97600644
DA590646.47713770.75580624
Total25602515.5626712642.7725802546

Like I said, just guesses based on previous years means and cutoffs :smile:

:bl:
Reply 61
gonna be my first choice!
Reply 62
Original post by Clubba

-2012 Cutoff2012 Mean score2013 Cutoff2013 Mean score2014 Predicted cutoff2014 Prelim Mean score
VR550579.65504556.55550579
QR610656.35612654.5650698
AR580633.09599660.97600644
DA590646.47713770.75580624
Total25602515.5626712642.7725802546

Like I said, just guesses based on previous years means and cutoffs :smile:

They look like pretty good estimates :smile: But can I just point out that Plymouth work out their cutoffs based on the Standard Deviation for each subtest, so how far below the average each cutoff will be depends on the spread of the applicants' scores. If the applicants' scores are really wide-spread, the cutoff is likely to be quite a lot lower than the mean average. In contrast, if the applicants' scores are closer together, the cutoff is likely to be closer to the average, if you get what I mean.
But as I said - they look pretty good to me, so long as the averages don't change :colondollar: I sort of hope that's accurate as my VR score was 550, and that's the only cutoff I'm worried about missing as my other scores were above the current averages :s-smilie:
Reply 63
Original post by cwi111
They look like pretty good estimates :smile: But can I just point out that Plymouth work out their cutoffs based on the Standard Deviation for each subtest, so how far below the average each cutoff will be depends on the spread of the applicants' scores. If the applicants' scores are really wide-spread, the cutoff is likely to be quite a lot lower than the mean average. In contrast, if the applicants' scores are closer together, the cutoff is likely to be closer to the average, if you get what I mean.
But as I said - they look pretty good to me, so long as the averages don't change :colondollar: I sort of hope that's accurate as my VR score was 550, and that's the only cutoff I'm worried about missing as my other scores were above the current averages :s-smilie:

Yes, I know exactly what you mean :tongue: Hm' 550 would definitely be quite risky. Have you looked at other possibly safer options?
Reply 64
Original post by Clubba
Yes, I know exactly what you mean :tongue: Hm' 550 would definitely be quite risky. Have you looked at other possibly safer options?

Yeah I've looked at almost all of the UK medical schools and tbh, my stats are kind of "average" no matter where I apply :tongue:

GCSEs: 8A*s, 3As, 1B
Year 12 Results: AAAA + A in A2 Maths
Year 13 Predicted: A*A*A* + A* in EPQ
UKCAT: VR 500, QR 810, AR 660, DA 650 (2670 Total, 667.5 Average)

But I really liked the look of Plymouth and have already sent off my application so just gotta keep my fingers crossed now :smile:
Where are you applying?
Reply 65
Original post by cwi111
Yeah I've looked at almost all of the UK medical schools and tbh, my stats are kind of "average" no matter where I apply :tongue:

GCSEs: 8A*s, 3As, 1B
Year 12 Results: AAAA + A in A2 Maths
Year 13 Predicted: A*A*A* + A* in EPQ
UKCAT: VR 500, QR 810, AR 660, DA 650 (2670 Total, 667.5 Average)

But I really liked the look of Plymouth and have already sent off my application so just gotta keep my fingers crossed now :smile:
Where are you applying?

Average? Those are amazing! My GCSEs are well below average for aspiring medics :tongue:

GCSEs: 6As, 2Bs, 3Cs :colondollar: :colondollar:
AS: AAAA (+A in EPQ)
A2 Pred: A*A*A*
UKCAT: VR: 650, QR: 890, AR: 630, DA: 660 (2830 Total, 707.5 Average)

I've applied to Plymouth, Exeter, Manchester and Barts. How about yourself?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by Clubba
Average? Those are amazing! My GCSEs are well below average for aspiring medics :tongue:

GCSEs: 6As, 2Bs, 3Cs :colondollar: :colondollar:
AS: AAAA (+A in EPQ)
A2 Pred: A*A*A*
UKCAT: VR: 650, QR: 890, AR: 630, DA: 660 (2830 Total, 7077.5 Average)

I've applied to Plymouth, Exeter, Manchester and Barts. How about yourself?

I actually emailed Plymouths' admissions team to ask about their selection process and they said that they basically "tick off" GCSEs, so as long as you meet the minimum requirement, you'll be at no disadvantage to a candidate with a high proportion of A*s :smile:
I've applied to Cambridge, Exeter, UEA and Plymouth :biggrin: Tbh, I doubt I'll get an offer from Cambridge or Exeter but I'm hoping I stand a fair chance at the other two :3 Only time will tell...
Reply 67
Original post by cwi111
I actually emailed Plymouths' admissions team to ask about their selection process and they said that they basically "tick off" GCSEs, so as long as you meet the minimum requirement, you'll be at no disadvantage to a candidate with a high proportion of A*s :smile:
I've applied to Cambridge, Exeter, UEA and Plymouth :biggrin: Tbh, I doubt I'll get an offer from Cambridge or Exeter but I'm hoping I stand a fair chance at the other two :3 Only time will tell...

Yeah, I emailed them about GCSEs too and got a similar reply which is why I'm applying to Plymouth :tongue:

Ah good luck with Cambridge! :biggrin: Yeah, I reckon you'll get interviews at UEA and Plymouth :biggrin:
In my UKCAT I got 600(VR), 830(QR), 840(AR), and 750(DA) do you think the 600 in verbal reasoning may be a bit risky in terms of meeting the cut off? I'm having a last minute panic ahaha
Reply 69
Original post by Clubba
Yeah, I emailed them about GCSEs too and got a similar reply which is why I'm applying to Plymouth :tongue:

Ah good luck with Cambridge! :biggrin: Yeah, I reckon you'll get interviews at UEA and Plymouth :biggrin:

Haha thanks! :biggrin: Best of luck with your application!
Reply 70
Original post by JudgeJudy96
In my UKCAT I got 600(VR), 830(QR), 840(AR), and 750(DA) do you think the 600 in verbal reasoning may be a bit risky in terms of meeting the cut off? I'm having a last minute panic ahaha

You should be absolutely fine! :tongue: The preliminary mean score for VR this year is 579, and as far as I'm aware, Plymouth have never set a cutoff higher than the average :smile:
Original post by cwi111
You should be absolutely fine! :tongue: The preliminary mean score for VR this year is 579, and as far as I'm aware, Plymouth have never set a cutoff higher than the average :smile:

Thank you for settling my nerves haha:biggrin:
Original post by cwi111

O wow, I'm also applying to UEA, Exeter and Plymouth xD Why don't you think you'll get an offer from Exeter? you have better GCSE's than me and one more a* prediction, we have the same as grades but i got 680 ukcat.
How do Plymouth select applicants for interview? Is it as simple as, if you make the cut-off you'll get an interview or am I missing something? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply 74
Original post by Jaska
O wow, I'm also applying to UEA, Exeter and Plymouth xD Why don't you think you'll get an offer from Exeter? you have better GCSE's than me and one more a* prediction, we have the same as grades but i got 680 ukcat.

From what I've read on the Exeter Med School thread, the cutoff for UKCAT is VERY high at Exeter - last year it was 697 or something crazy like that :s-smilie: It should come down quite a bit this year as the overall average has dropped, but it depends on the range of UKCAT scores from the people that actually apply to Exeter :/ I reckon you should be fine though with 680 :smile:
Original post by cwi111
From what I've read on the Exeter Med School thread, the cutoff for UKCAT is VERY high at Exeter - last year it was 697 or something crazy like that :s-smilie: It should come down quite a bit this year as the overall average has dropped, but it depends on the range of UKCAT scores from the people that actually apply to Exeter :/ I reckon you should be fine though with 680 :smile:

Oh right :O I'm surprised you havent applied to cardiff or southampton, they would suit your strengths alot more. Anyway it will be interesting to see if we get interviews at the same time - thats if we get any xD
Reply 76
Original post by Jaska
Oh right :O I'm surprised you havent applied to cardiff or southampton, they would suit your strengths alot more. Anyway it will be interesting to see if we get interviews at the same time - thats if we get any xD

I visited Cardiff but wasn't too keen on the university itself. Didn't really consider Southampton though :/ Fingers crossed I'll get at least one interview somewhere (anywhere! xD ) Good luck with your application! :tongue:
Reply 77
Original post by ahmedddUUU
How do Plymouth select applicants for interview? Is it as simple as, if you make the cut-off you'll get an interview or am I missing something? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Plymouth start by checking that your GCSEs meet their minimum requirements (literally just ticking the box!). They then consider your A2 predicted grades, and then compare your UKCAT scores (all the subtests AND the overall score) to a set of thresholds. These thresholds are generally 30-100 points lower than the mean average from every UKCAT candidate. How low the thresholds are depends on the number of applicants and their range of scores (weird algorithms :tongue: ). You have to meet all 5 thresholds to be offered an interview :smile:
Original post by cwi111
Plymouth start by checking that your GCSEs meet their minimum requirements (literally just ticking the box!). They then consider your A2 predicted grades, and then compare your UKCAT scores (all the subtests AND the overall score) to a set of thresholds. These thresholds are generally 30-100 points lower than the mean average from every UKCAT candidate. How low the thresholds are depends on the number of applicants and their range of scores (weird algorithms :tongue: ). You have to meet all 5 thresholds to be offered an interview :smile:

Thank you!! Best of luck with your application!
Which is easier to get into...plymouth or exeter? (Assuming im competitive on paper)..

Latest

Trending

Trending