The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's EMDP 2015 Entry

Hi
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I'm considering applying to the King's EMDP.
My stats:
GCSE'S: 8 A*'s and 2 A's
AS-Levels:
Biology - A (93% ums)
Physics - A (91% ums)
Chemistry - A (87% ums)
Maths - A (80% ums)
Predictions - should be A*AA or above
UKCAT - 610 average (540, 770, 640, 490)
I've got 3 hospital w/e (no GP w/e though), 7 months charity shop, NCS The Challenge, Trewern

I'm just wondering whether I would have a chance at the EMDP due to my UKCAT?

Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Hey I was wondering whether there would be any point me applying to this course:

GCSE'S: 2A*'s 3A's and 4B's
AS:
Geography - A
Maths - B
Chemistry - B
Biology - C

I'm going to drop biology with predictions of AAB

I haven't done my UKCAT yet, I will be doing it on the 24th Sep.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 3
I sat the UKCAT yesterday and got 697.5 Band 1
VR:550
QR:830
AR:710
DA:700

IGCSEs: 9A* 1A 1B
AS: 5As 1A* (EPQ) Averaged (96%UMS)
A2 predictions: A*A*A*

Is my UKCAT too low do you think? I am an international student btw.

Thanks in advance
Original post by Cath_y
Again, for the EMDP programme, their standard offer is at AAA-BBB, so you definitely have a chance. They say that UKCAT scores are used contextually, but what I think that means is if you have a stronger academic backgrounds or PS, then the weighing on your UKCAT would be less, but that is, of course, purely based on my observation.

Good luck on your UKCAT, I hope you do well!

Would the fact that I'm not doing Biology at A2 affect my chances?
Original post by FireFreak
GCSE:
Maths: A
Core science: A
Add science: A
English lang/lit: BB
Geography: B
IT: B
RE: B
French: C
Business: C

AS:
Biology: A
Chemistry: B
Maths: B
Psychology: C

UKCAT: 1st october

Do i meet the requirements for the EMDP, i cant seem to access the website so i don't know their entry requirements. And what are my chances of getting in? Thank you.

Yes you do meet the requirements bearing in mind that you live in London and the outer areas, and you didn't go to a selective school/college.
What are your predicted?
Reply 6
Hi guys, my predicted grades are A* in Geography, A/B in Biology and C in Chemistry. I got a score of 610 in UKCAT with band 1. I've got loads of A's in GCSEs. Do you think I should try apply to King's EMDP? I'm just really sad about the C prediction tbh. :frown:
Has anyone ever got into the EMDP without straight A's?
Yeah i live in london. Predicted A*AA-AAB (not sure need to confirm). And do you know if Graveney school is selective. Because when i check some websites it says it is and some say its not. I should ask my school i guess.

Yeah your perfectly fine with those grades. Did you take a test to enter the school?
Nope. I went to a state school for secondary and now i go to a state school as well but idk if its a selective or non-selective state school. When you enter the school im currently in at year 7 you need to take a test, but when going to their sixth form you don't. I did not take a test to get into the sixth form.

Anyway what do you think are my chances of getting in with my gcses?

Ohh that means i think its not applicable whats the name of the sixth form?
Their fine trust me, if you have a good personal statement and reference and ukcat you should be more than fine.
Original post by foreverstrong_97
Ohh that means i think its not applicable whats the name of the sixth form?
Their fine trust me, if you have a good personal statement and reference and ukcat you should be more than fine.

GCSEs must have been completed at a non-selective state school. So they are refering to where you take your GCSE as opposed to A-levels yay! phew! lol! I just checked up my previous school admission policy and its comprehensive (non-selective) :biggrin:. But my schools name does not appear on the schools listed on the EMDP file on kings. hurm?
Hi, I was wondering if I am a good candidate for this course with my grades and UKCAT:

VR: 550
QR: 830
AR: 780
DA: 780
SJT: band 1

735 Average

GCSEs: 5A*s (including 3 sciences and maths) and 4.5As (including English language)

AS Levels: AAAAC in Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and Philosophy respectively.

A-Levels(achieved): A*A*A in Biology, Chemistry and Maths respectively.

My GCSE and A-Level school is on the list of eligible schools.

Thanks and any replies appreciated! :smile:
GCSEs must have been completed at a non-selective state school. So they are refering to where you take your GCSE as opposed to A-levels yay! phew! lol! I just checked up my previous school admission policy and its comprehensive (non-selective) :biggrin:. But my schools name does not appear on the schools listed on the EMDP file on kings. hurm?

Best thing to do is ring up the uni and ask them or email them to confirm whether your eligible or not.

Original post by the A* guy
Hi, I was wondering if I am a good candidate for this course with my grades and UKCAT:

VR: 550
QR: 830
AR: 780
DA: 780
SJT: band 1

735 Average

GCSEs: 5A*s (including 3 sciences and maths) and 4.5As (including English language)

AS Levels: AAAAC in Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths and Philosophy respectively.

A-Levels(achieved): A*A*A in Biology, Chemistry and Maths respectively.

My GCSE and A-Level school is on the list of eligible schools.

Thanks and any replies appreciated! :smile:

Wow well done! I think you'll do fine for normal medicine tbh. You'll have a very good chance to get into this course with those grades and UKCAT.
Might apply

GCSE: 5A* 3.5A 1B
Achieved A-Levels: A*AAb
UKCAT: 620 :frown:
Reply 14
Yeah i live in london. Predicted A*AA-AAB (not sure need to confirm). And do you know if Graveney school is selective. Because when i check some websites it says it is and some say its not. I should ask my school i guess.

just to let you know...Graveny is selective and therefore you wont be eligble for the course.

Schools like southfield...Ernest bevin...Chestnut grove are all non-selective schools

school must be on the list of approved schools posted by Kings.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
just wondering whats my shot for this course? i got a poor UKCAT score so thats why im applying :/

I got a UKCAT of 632.5 SJT band 1

GCSEs: 5A*s 5As 1B + 1A* & 1A (GCSE shortcourse)
AS Grades: aabb (bio, history, chem & physics)

A2 predictions: A*AA/AAA (need to be confirmed)

1year at seniors care home
1 week at hospital
2 weeks GP

decent PS i think...but thats based on personal opinion lol

I've also done their K+ programme/Summer school scheme which made me fall in love with Kings <3
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Cath_y
Bear in mind that the average of this year's cohort has fallen compared to the massive rise last year, so don't feel put off!

You have decent academics and predictions, and remember to reflect on your work exp in your ps! Other than that, I don't see why you wouldn't stand a chance (provided you're in their list of eligible schools)! Also you have done their widening participation programme, meaning you'd receive some sorts of priority according to their website.

Good luck :smile:

Oh really?! i guess thats good news! thanks for giving me a bit more confidence.

And yh i am on there list of eligible schools..thank god :biggrin:

Are you on their course? or are you applying this year ?
Reply 17
Original post by Cath_y
Here's the link to last year's entry info: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/emdp/print

Special consideration will be given to candidates who:

Are in care.

Are attending a sixth form school or college whose educational performance is ranked to be in the bottom third of schools eligible for the EMDP. Educational performance is assessed by using the "Average Point Score per Entry" data, as published by the Department for Education and updated annually. The most recent data will be used.

Are completing or have completed King’s widening participation schemes, including K+ and Outreach for Medicine events (such as MedView) or are participating in Realising Opportunities.

Applying this yr, I'm not actually sure whether to go for A101 or A100 since I meet both requirements, but I've always considered the foundation course to be less competitive? Anyway I have to decide soon lol deadline next Tuesday :s-smilie:

theyre both really competitive!!
But i was under the impression the EMDP is somewhat more :/

apply for both if youre set on kings :biggrin:
Do you think it is worth mentioning that I'm a kings volunteer in my personal statement? I'm not really one for name dropping in PS' I was just going to put I'm a ward volunteer at my local hospital but now I'm having second thoughts, anyone?
Original post by Cath_y
Hey! I'm volunteering at King's too, but I'm not going to name the hospital, it's just the skills your gain would be similar wherever you volunteer :smile:

I'm might put "as a King's volunteer..." I'm sure it can't hurt haha. Cool what hospital you at? Im PRUH

Quick Reply