The Student Room Group

So upset & want to drop out

(edited 9 years ago)
clearing babe x
Any more thoughts ?
Reply 3
I know people older than you who are starting university. You're not a failure just because you're 23 and starting uni? Better late than never!
I'm 27 and I dropped out of my first course due to personal reasons. I started the course I've just graduated from when I was 24 so you have plenty of time! At the end of the day, you're the one doing the course and if you aren't happy, you won't learn anything. Take your time to really into what you enjoy and can see yourself doing after uni! The way this year is going, it'll be 2015 before you know it! :biggrin:
Take a year out but make the most of it, decide what you want to do then apply next year giving yourself plenty of time to make any necessary adjustments.
Original post by peanutbuttercup
Thank you. Did you have trouble making friends the second time round, and did you live out?

Initially I did because everyone was nearly all 18, but after a week, I managed to get chatting with them more and, because of the course I was on, we had no choice but to work together! XD I commuted to uni from home and it didn't stop me from making friends!
Why do you feel down, if I may ask?
Reply 8
I was 23 when I dropped out of university due to lack of money.

I went back at 36. I found it easy to make friends because I am a total idiot, and as it turns out that's kind of congenial.

If you want to go back, you'll find a way. Just make sure you know why you're going and that you have a clear plan. The older you get, the more important it is. If you are only going to have a laugh and make friends - there's nothing wrong with that, but you have to be honest with yourself and make provision for that. If you are going to improve employment prospects, or for pure education - that's fine too, but it's critical that you are competely clear why.
The course, the people here, and I just really really want to be home - I've grown to despise London

My girlfriend had problems moving to Sheffield to do her degree. It all worked out in the end very well for her.

Why do you not like the course and the people?
Reply 10
The course, the people here, and I just really really want to be home - I've grown to despise London

Whaaaaaa?! Despise London?! Why!! It's great for students, the people at Queen Mary aren't so bad :redface:! At least you're at a good university

Anyways, If you don't like the course, don't bother wasting time on something you don't want to do. As for the people, Queen Mary is a college of University of London which is made up other colleges. You can always meet new people!!
Speak to student welfare at your uni - if you have not progressed due to mitigating circumstances, you can apply to SFE to make it an additional year (additional to your normal course +1 allowance). I did this - my undergrad took 4 yrs instead of 3 due to mitigating circs, but I still applied for it to not be counted within my course +1 allowance in case something happened (e.g. failed to progress without mitigating circs) and I needed my +1 year.

To be clear you still owe the money, but SFE would register you as still having 3 yrs left, so you could finance another degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arguendo
Speak to student welfare at your uni
Posted from TSR Mobile

This.

Also try university counselling - it's free and it may help you to sort things out in your head. They may be biased towards keeping you at QM but it still might help.
(edited 9 years ago)
Why do you have to go to uni this year?
What will your degree do to progress your career?
Do you have a clear vision of why you want to do a degree at this point in your life?

I have to go to work but otherwise I would write a more full response - but you need to think carefully about why you are going into this. 23 isn't old. You don't have to do it with haste. Don't put your mental health at risk for a piece of paper which may or may not have any bearing on your career. Also, do something nice today, treat yourself - you need to clear you mind a little.
Thank you - I may be re-starting at 24 now as I want to drop out, and I just have no clue what to do with life! But thanks for your kind words

I think you need to think through your life and your ambitions before you re-embark on a degree. Otherwise it's like driving down a really difficult path with no idea if you're going the right way or not.
Reply 15
Hi Peanutbuttercup,

If you provide Student finance england with compelling personal reasons and evidence (e.g. a GP or psychologist's note) you should be able to get extra years of funding. You may also be able to get them to disregard your first university course entirely by providing compelling personal reasons for withdrawing from the course.

I hope things work out well!!

As the others have said 23 is still very young

:smile:
Just to update everyone - I have settled in properly and decided to stay here and am happy to continue at Queen Mary… I've also got a part time job now which has helped to keep me busy and meet new cool peeps :smile: thanks everybody!

Woo!! Glad that it's working out for you!! :biggrin:
Just to update everyone - I have settled in properly and decided to stay here and am happy to continue at Queen Mary… I've also got a part time job now which has helped to keep me busy and meet new cool peeps :smile: thanks everybody!

Glad to hear it :smile:
I don't know what your full story is but I know that if you start a degree and don't complete it then it is almost impossible to get funding for a second degree. If you have a job in mind and you know where you are going then my advice would be to suck it in a keep moving forward. I too have been through some pretty tough times (like many others) so I know it can be difficult to stay motivated and positive. You'll get a whole bunch of people advising you to seek support from elsewhere and it might help for you. However, from my own personal experience, the ability to move forward and keep your chin up is down to you and you only. Everyone is different, my experiences put things into perspective for me and gave me the ability and strength to keep going. Sounds like you're still in that grey area of uncertainty. Just know that pain (mental or physical) is temporary.

Take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwfhH8yDZQo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending