The Student Room Group

Memory helps?

Hi
Just to make things short and concise, I have a good memory, being able to remember most relevant stuff I read. But the problem is that it didn't help with my AS levels, but helped with gcses, you why?
Can I make use of it in A2?
Thanks for any help.
Original post by Smusah12
Hi
Just to make things short and concise, I have a good memory, being able to remember most relevant stuff I read. But the problem is that it didn't help with my AS levels, but helped with gcses, you why?
Can I make use of it in A2?
Thanks for any help.

Hi smuash again

I will explain to you why that is the case, now I know what subjects you are taking from the other threads, as I did the exact identical subject as you.

In GCSE, there is an significantly higher element of pure recalls then application, especially in the sciences and hence why your memory help.... Questions also tend to overlap between different series of examinations, so rote learning mark scheme can be very beneficial.
And also at GCSE examiners are instructed to credit you, even if your answers are not exact to the Mark Scheme....
With regards to A-levels, there is an much higher element of application and many of those application question, require to have understand the content fully, in order to apply it to contexts that will be completely novel to you. As you need to see through what part of your knowledge that the question is asking, that's why rote learning will not get a lot of marks. Hence memory don't help a lot. And rote learning MS won't provide much assistance, as the overlap between different series of examination is very limited.
Also at A-level examiners's marking elevate to an much more specific level and you have to use certain specific terms, in order to get the marks, those words are underlined in the MS. That's why at A-level practicing past papers are so vital, which is something I obmitted on my other response to your thread.

Does that make sense? ----Marvel
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MarvelAgent
Hi smuash again

I will explain to you why that is the case, now I know what subjects you are taking from the other threads, as I did the exact identical subject as you.

In GCSE, there is an significantly higher element of pure recalls then application, especially in the sciences and hence why your memory help.... Questions also tend to overlap between different series of examinations, so rote learning mark scheme can be very beneficial.
And also at GCSE examiners are instructed to credit you, even if your answers are not exact to the Mark Scheme....
With regards to A-levels, there is an much higher element of application and many of those application question, require to have understand the content fully, in order to apply it to contexts that will be completely novel to you. As you need to see through what part of your knowledge that the question is asking, that's why rote learning will not get a lot of marks. Hence memory don't help a lot. And rote learning MS won't provide much assistance, as the overlap between different series of examination is very limited.
Also at A-level examiners's marking elevate to an much more specific level and you have to use certain specific terms, in order to get the marks, those words are underlined in the MS. That's why at A-level practicing past papers are so vital, which is something I obmitted on my other response to your thread.

Does that make sense? ----Marvel

It makes perfect sense, thanks.
I do admit to having problems with my exam technique. I can orally tell you the answer but struggle to get it written. Do you think I should get a private tuition to help with that? Or are there any other tips that can help?
Thanks again
It makes perfect sense, thanks.
I do admit to having problems with my exam technique. I can orally tell you the answer but struggle to get it written. Do you think I should get a private tuition to help with that? Or are there any other tips that can help?
Thanks again

I was in the exact position as you at the end of my AS, I think it will be difficult for me to determine whether private tuition would help, as it depends on the quality of the tutor and how much he/she understand your weakness.... Speaking from personal experience, I find tutor to be rather futile, however I do live in the South-west and tutor with biology degree is scarce here. (This is purely my personal opinion, please don't let this put you off personal tutor m8)

I will give you some tips regarding revision from personal experience...
1) Make sure you have fully memorize and understood the content across the specifications and that you are able to make links through different part of the spec.
2) Practice as much PPQ as possible, because once you read enough MSs/do enough PPQs, you will beginning to see what specific terms you need to include for the mark and how you need to approach exam questions.

The reason why I am recommending those advices, is because of my personal experience, I achieved an 'C' grade in AS Biology and when I change my approach to revision to PPQ orientated and have fully understood the content and resat it, I achieved an 'A' grade.

Remember as long as you keep up the hard work, your hard work will eventually pay off and you will be rewarded with the high grade you deserved.

Come on man, we can do this, we are still young!! ---Marvel
Reply 4
I was in the exact position as you at the end of my AS, I think it will be difficult for me to determine whether private tuition would help, as it depends on the quality of the tutor and how much he/she understand your weakness.... Speaking from personal experience, I find tutor to be rather futile, however I do live in the South-west and tutor with biology degree is scarce here. (This is purely my personal opinion, please don't let this put you off personal tutor m8)

I will give you some tips regarding revision from personal experience...
1) Make sure you have fully memorize and understood the content across the specifications and that you are able to make links through different part of the spec.
2) Practice as much PPQ as possible, because once you read enough MSs/do enough PPQs, you will beginning to see what specific terms you need to include for the mark and how you need to approach exam questions.

The reason why I am recommending those advices, is because of my personal experience, I achieved an 'C' grade in AS Biology and when I change my approach to revision to PPQ orientated and have fully understood the content and resat it, I achieved an 'A' grade.

Remember as long as you keep up the hard work, your hard work will eventually pay off and you will be rewarded with the high grade you deserved.

Come on man, we can do this, we are still young!! ---Marvel

Thank you for your reply.
I'll have a try with tuition just to see how it goes, I am so determined to get a good grade, it's unreal.
Those tips are highlighting what I should have done for my AS, I hardly did any past papers but I did read my notes and text book alot, I was thinking it's memory work but looking at it now, it's more than that.
My revision will now be PPQ and Mark scheme dominated, of course I will revise my notes but just do as many past papers as possible.

Wow, A? This is so motivational, thank You!!!! Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, Which exam board did you do?

I will definitely work hard, no doubt about that. In fact, I spent most if my summer pre reading the text books for A2 and I also successful passed an Online University course; Apoptosis Cell Death, related to cancer.

Thank you once again, you are awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you for your reply.
I'll have a try with tuition just to see how it goes, I am so determined to get a good grade, it's unreal.
Those tips are highlighting what I should have done for my AS, I hardly did any past papers but I did read my notes and text book alot, I was thinking it's memory work but looking at it now, it's more than that.
My revision will now be PPQ and Mark scheme dominated, of course I will revise my notes but just do as many past papers as possible.

Wow, A? This is so motivational, thank You!!!! Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, Which exam board did you do?

I will definitely work hard, no doubt about that. In fact, I spent most if my summer pre reading the text books for A2 and I also successful passed an Online University course; Apoptosis Cell Death, related to cancer.

Thank you once again, you are awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Smush

I have completed both A2 Biology and Chemistry with OCR, if you have any more questions regarding those subject feel free to PM me.

BTW well done for passing the online university course and I am in no doubt that your hard work over this summer holiday for your A2 Biology will pay off in Result Days 2015.

And you are very welcome, it was an pleasure. ---Marvel
Reply 6
Hi Smush

I have completed both A2 Biology and Chemistry with OCR, if you have any more questions regarding those subject feel free to PM me.

BTW well done for passing the online university course and I am in no doubt that your hard work over this summer holiday for your A2 Biology will pay off in Result Days 2015.

And you are very welcome, it was an pleasure. ---Marvel

Thanks Marvel, your name says alot about you.
That is good, I am AQA for both biology and chemistry.
I will not hesitate to PM you, you are more helpful. I wish my school career advisor has the same grasp on things like you do :smile:
Cheers :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest