The Student Room Group

Graduate medicine- do i have a chance??

Hi everyone,

I'm considering whether I should apply for medicine once I finish my undergraduate degree.

For my GCSE's I achieved 6 A*'s, 4 A's and a distinction. However I didn't do too well in my A-Levels. After re sitting a year (I wasted this year trying to discover what I wanted to do in life instead of studying- which I admit was completely reckless) I obtained A-Level grades BBCC.

I'm now starting a course at University of Westminster which is a badly ranked university.

I wanted to know that if I achieved a 1st or a 2.1 in my degree and did well in the UKCAT/BMAT as well as organise plenty of well varied work experience placements would I still have a good chance of getting into a medical school in the UK?

I know I have slacked in the past, but once I'm adamant and motivated to do something I go all out and aim to be the best possible candidate. I didn't take my A-Levels as seriously which is why I did so badly but I don't want them to have a hold on my future life ambitions.
Reply 1
Yes you do, take a look at this letter and reply to Newcastle University as an example, it shows percentages of the type of universities they get their candidates from.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/35189/response/89835/attach/html/2/Document.pdf.html

I wouldn't be put off by the lower number of people from "non-oxbridge, non-russell group universities". It can just mean less people from these Universities may have no intention of studying medicine and therefore received less applications in this category.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for your useful reply! :smile:
I'm proof that you don't need to have gone to a well known/respected university to get in. I did my nursing at a university that most people won't have heard of and is usually in bottom half of any league tables. It really doesn't matter. What does matter is getting at least a 2.1 in your degree!

(I start at Leicester in September on the grad entry course).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi

Question on the application.

I graduated from Uni 2012 (medical sciences) and from school 2008, with declaring your grades, do you a) declare all your university modules and b) what about resits from A levels, because back then resits didn't matter and you didn't have to declare them, also that's now 6 years ago, I can barely remember the individual modules for those.

If anyone has any clue, that would be wonderful
Reply 5
Original post by ForestCat
I'm proof that you don't need to have gone to a well known/respected university to get in. I did my nursing at a university that most people won't have heard of and is usually in bottom half of any league tables. It really doesn't matter. What does matter is getting at least a 2.1 in your degree!

(I start at Leicester in September on the grad entry course).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply! Its given me a lot more hope.

P.S: Congratulations!! I've heard it super competitive to get into so you ought to be proud of yourself. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending