The Student Room Group

POLL: Do you believe that depression is a real illnes

Poll

Do you believe that depression is a real illness ?

Do you believe that depression is a real illnes ? or that you can actually be depressed?

Some people think it's just drama. I would just like to have a small survey to know how many in TSR thing it does vs thus who think it doesnt.

EDIT:

Those who choose NO, I'd appreciate a small comment about why you think so . Thank you
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes, I think it's sad that some people don't. No point judging when you haven't experienced it or if someone close to you hasn't.
YES... it is a real illness. There is no doubt about that.
How can anyone who's been educated seriously think it's not a 'real' illness?
Original post by Reluire
How can anyone who's been educated seriously think it's not a 'real' illness?

we have a NO ( 1 No and 9 Yes)
Original post by Blackberry rocks
we have a NO ( 1 No and 9 Yes)

Were you that no?
Original post by Reluire
Were you that no?

of course not !
It's good to know that for a greater part people are starting to understand mental illness, like depression, to a greater degree... :smile:
I do depression is an illness, but it can also make you seriously ill in other ways! In my experience it feels like your body starts to shut down. I've also known other illnesses like anorexia and obsessive compulsive disorder develop and worsen from depression.
Original post by hellodave5
It's good to know that for a greater part people are starting to understand mental illness, like depression, to a greater degree... :smile:

I second that !
Reply 10
I think it's an easily faked illness.

Some people will use it as an excuse for attention seeking.
Reply 11
Depression is an illness because i have had it for three years and this year seems to be my last time litterally living on earth as i have been such a loner, been kicked out of college, and getting fired/quitting in several jobs leading me to severe depression. Even today it was horrible for me as the only way to ease my pain is to walk around aimlessly on the street for 9 hours and come back home and then hide in my room.

It's an illness because it cannot be controlled, only Psychologists can help or mind thinking can be eased. I hate having it :frown:
yes of course it is. it's hard to understand what it's like unless you personally experience it. peope who fake it to get sympathy or whatever are absolutely disgusting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Changing Skies
Yes, I think it's sad that some people don't. No point judging when you haven't experienced it or if someone close to you hasn't.

At least we're getting better results than the last thread that asked this. That was nearing a 50/50 split, which was disturbing.
I 100% believe it is real. I also equally believe a significant minority of people, many of whom will contribute to this site use it as an attention seeking ploy.

It is an exceptionally easy illness to fake and I would argue a lot of people make it fashionable, angsty teens etc. This take away from a genuine illness that destroys peoples lives.
(edited 9 years ago)
I would love to know why some people don't think it is real. It is a devastating illness that can lead to suicide. I have seen it happen and experienced it first hand. It is really quite sad that some people cannot get their head round it.
Slightly misleading. I voted yes even though I don't think it is an illness. It is a condition.
Original post by Arkasia
Slightly misleading. I voted yes even though I don't think it is an illness. It is a condition.

What is the difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reue
I think it's an easily faked illness.

Some people will use it as an excuse for attention seeking.

Yes, but the fact that it's easy to fake (and some people do fake it) has nothing to do with whether the actual illness exists or not.

It's also very easy to fake headache, and headache clearly exists.

Quick Reply

Latest