The Student Room Group

How can I do it?

I'm taking English lit, Biology, chemistry and Geography and I would love to go to Durham University and study Physical Geography there, but to do so I need to achieve at least A*AA. At GCSE I got an A in English literature, 2 A's in core and additional science and a B in geography.

How can I get A and A*'s in my Alevels and is it realistic given my GCSE grades? Any tips would really be appreciated! Like I know past papers help and that type of thing but is there anything that would really help me achieve my goal?
Reply 1
Original post by amelimoo
I'm taking English lit, Biology, chemistry and Geography and I would love to go to Durham University and study Physical Geography there, but to do so I need to achieve at least A*AA. At GCSE I got an A in English literature, 2 A's in core and additional science and a B in geography.

How can I get A and A*'s in my Alevels and is it realistic given my GCSE grades? Any tips would really be appreciated! Like I know past papers help and that type of thing but is there anything that would really help me achieve my goal?

Listen in class. Make the best notes you can. Do all the extra work you can and revise from the get go. There will be times of darkness and times when you don't think you can go on. But push yourself and you can do it. :yep:
Reply 2
Original post by 8472
Listen in class. Make the best notes you can. Do all the extra work you can and revise from the get go. There will be times of darkness and times when you don't think you can go on. But push yourself and you can do it. :yep:

Okay Thank You!!
You'll have "free periods/lessons" I expect...don't use them to doss about. Make sure you knuckle down right from the get go in order to make sure you get those A/A*s.

You can do it :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by A.Systole
You'll have "free periods/lessons" I expect...don't use them to doss about. Make sure you knuckle down right from the get go in order to make sure you get those A/A*s.

You can do it :smile:

Okay Thank You!! Have you got any specific tips for my chosen subjects?
Original post by amelimoo
Okay Thank You!! Have you got any specific tips for my chosen subjects?

Well in AS I did Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and History. Then took Maths, Chemistry and Biology to A2. Finished with AAAaa.

Chemistry wise, I did OCR I think. Each Unit will have a set of core ideas. Make sure you learn them. Learn them and then make sure you know how to apply and manipulate what you know to the questions, this is definitely more so in A2.

Biology is pretty similar in method but the marking can end up seeming a lot more vague than Chemistry. Biology is pretty dull at times but there are a couple of units, especially genetics in A2 which more than make up for it. But don't let this perceived dullness put you off studying. You've got to make it interesting, coloured diagrams/flowcharts/brainstorms and the like.

I imagine with Eng Lit you'll get set a fair number of essays, so I'll use my experience with History: just do the essays you're set. Even if you're not pleased with it, hand it in on time. It might turn out to be pretty good and if not, use the feedback you're given to make sure your next one is better.

I don't want to go into specifics too much about the content and exams because i know it has changed, i finished my A2s in 2013 so I had the wonderful January exams.

Hope that makes sense and is sorta helpful
For English Lit, make sure you make concise notes about quotes, major themes and critics' comments - these will be invaluable when it comes to revising for the exam. The trick is to make sure that your revision is as EFFICIENT as possible; ineffective revision is as good as doing no revision at all (it's better to do a couple of hours of good quality revision than a whole day of copying out notes!). It is definitely possible to get A*AA at A-Level (I got similar grades to you and finished wtih A*A*A), you just need to prioritise work and be prepared to put in the hours (you'll have a lot of late nights and will most likely have to skip some parties but you won't be the only one) :smile: When you're down in the dumps and things feel like they're unravelling, just remember to stay positive; things tend to work out in the end and you'll feel happier knowing that you put as much effort in as possible. Goodluck!
Reply 7
Original post by A.Systole
Well in AS I did Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and History. Then took Maths, Chemistry and Biology to A2. Finished with AAAaa.

Chemistry wise, I did OCR I think. Each Unit will have a set of core ideas. Make sure you learn them. Learn them and then make sure you know how to apply and manipulate what you know to the questions, this is definitely more so in A2.

Biology is pretty similar in method but the marking can end up seeming a lot more vague than Chemistry. Biology is pretty dull at times but there are a couple of units, especially genetics in A2 which more than make up for it. But don't let this perceived dullness put you off studying. You've got to make it interesting, coloured diagrams/flowcharts/brainstorms and the like.

I imagine with Eng Lit you'll get set a fair number of essays, so I'll use my experience with History: just do the essays you're set. Even if you're not pleased with it, hand it in on time. It might turn out to be pretty good and if not, use the feedback you're given to make sure your next one is better.

I don't want to go into specifics too much about the content and exams because i know it has changed, i finished my A2s in 2013 so I had the wonderful January exams.

Hope that makes sense and is sorta helpful

Okay Thank you so much!!
Reply 8
Original post by colourtheory
For English Lit, make sure you make concise notes about quotes, major themes and critics' comments - these will be invaluable when it comes to revising for the exam. The trick is to make sure that your revision is as EFFICIENT as possible; ineffective revision is as good as doing no revision at all (it's better to do a couple of hours of good quality revision than a whole day of copying out notes!). It is definitely possible to get A*AA at A-Level (I got similar grades to you and finished wtih A*A*A), you just need to prioritise work and be prepared to put in the hours (you'll have a lot of late nights and will most likely have to skip some parties but you won't be the only one) :smile: When you're down in the dumps and things feel like they're unravelling, just remember to stay positive; things tend to work out in the end and you'll feel happier knowing that you put as much effort in as possible. Goodluck!

Okay Thanks! I'll make sure I don't give up and follow your advice!
I did Eng Lit, Bio and Chem at AS so I can give you some tips :')
For English Lit, make sure you work your butt off for coursework and give as many drafts into the teacher as you possibly can - it can really make the difference if an exam goes wrong
You don't need to learn critical comments or learn quotes until A2, but for AS make sure you fully understand and have read the texts before you study them, and try to make original links between and within the texts. Also (assuming you're doing AQA) the exam is a bitch, so learn to write concisely and try to do essays in a timed situation to get used to it - 3 essays in 2 hours is barely possible if you learn this!
Cannot stress enough LEARN EXAM TECHNIQUE. It's very specific for AS and without knowing it you will not get a good mark. Learn what you need to write in each question to get the marks and write only that, otherwise you'll be wasting time.
Finally; if you don't do as well as you'd hoped at AS, it's not the end of the world! At AS I got an A in my coursework, but a D in the exam (a C overall). At A2, I resat the AS exam to get a B, and then managed a B in my coursework and an A in the exam, scraping an A overall - it is possible to improve on bad grades, but it's always helpful to get good ones in the first place :')

Biology and Chemistry I really struggled with, and Chem I dropped in the end. Biology is about memory, but also understanding, as some of the questions that are asked are practically impossible, and it is important to intensely revise everything in the textbook just so that you can answer all possible questions. I can't really help with Chemistry, was lucky to get an E as AS tbh :')
Good luck and sorry for the essay :P

Quick Reply

Latest