The Student Room Group

Course switch

I'm currently a first year Bristol computer science student. I have no interest in my course or any passion for it. Except for parts of the programming unit and the maths side of it, I didn't enjoy the rest of the year. In the future I feel that I don't want to have a job involving programming even though it is something I am quite good at, and that I would rather have a career which involves more interaction with people/clients. This summer I also had no motivation in programming at all and when I looked at my future course content I had/still feel no interest towards it whatsoever.

I considered switching to Mechanical engineering at Nottingham, but after going to an open day on Friday I found it wasn't for me. During my A-levels I really enjoyed studying Economics and Business and got a senior award for it from my school. For my A-Levels I got A*A*A* in Maths, Economics and Business, and Computing as well as an A in Further Maths AS (which I really enjoyed). I was wondering whether applying to study for Maths and Economics OR Economics at a university such as Nottingham would be a good idea or not?

Whilst I enjoyed Economics and Business at A-level I understand that it is significantly different at University. What I really enjoyed at A-Level was how I could apply what I learnt to practical applications which I found really interesting. However, I have heard at University the course is more abstract, so I'm not sure whether an Economics or a Business/Management degree is better suited for me.

I understand that I could enter a field like this with my current Computer Science course, but I'd rather not study a course for 2/3 more years which I have no passion or interest in.

The reason I'm asking about this, is because I'm considering asking Nottingham whether they are willing to accept me to study for Economics this year (which i highly doubt as it is so late), but I want to make sure I'm committed before I make the decision.

Thanks for all your help :smile:
I would say taking some time out and thinking about what you really want to do can't be a bad thing. In a situation like this, get some books related to economics/have a look at some first year lecture notes and see if it's something you could see yourself doing.

If you do a maths and econ course you're most likely gonna have a focus on stats within the maths modules. However, you may gain the chance of doing some pure stuff should you want to.

Have you got any other places in mind? :smile:
Reply 2
I've looked at quite a few lecture notes. I find the lectures on macro-economics more interesting than micro-economics. My main concern is if I would be able to handle the level of mathematics on the course as it looks very advanced.

After looking at lecture notes such as these: http://www.math.harvard.edu/~knill/teaching/math19b_2011/handouts/chapters1-19.pdf, I feel that doing a Maths & Economics joint honours may be too difficult for me + I would rather have a more focused on pure stuff.

I'm considering calling Warwick and UCL, although I highly doubt they'll accept me at this point. I really don't want to take a gap year at this stage, as I feel like I'm ready to start a course in Economics (or something related) at University and I don't want to have to start when I'm 20 when I could potentially start now.

However, if Warwick, UCL or Nottingham don't accept me for a place, I may have to go back to Bristol to study Computer Science. Whilst I could try a University like Queen Mary's to study Economics, Finance and Management, I feel like I could do better with my grades and that I would have better prospects with my current degree (I hope I don't sound cocky here; I apologise if I do). Also I would have problems in terms of no accommodation/ a 2 hour commute to get to the University.

I'll try and mention my situation and grades near the beginning of the call when I ask these universities, as it may help? Although I still feel like they won't take me at this stage.
I'll look at a few more lecture notes, but I guess at this stage I just gotta hope for the best :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending