The Student Room Group

Do clubs or bars have cash machines or can you pay by card?

During freshers I don't want to take out a lot of money with me for obvious reasons but if I run out of cash, will there be a cash machine? Or do they accept credit/debit cards?
Most places will have a card reader so you can pay by card but there is usually a minimum charge of £5 required, and sometimes you'll be charged to use your card.
Sometimes there are cash machines, but I've never seen a free to use cash machine in a bar, you have to pay something like 10-20% of your withdrawal to use it.

You're better off leaving the bar and finding a free to use cash machine when you need it. I think you're even better off taking enough cash with you and leaving your card at home. If nothing else you will not be able to get more drunk than you intended.

I don't know about other people, but if someone steals the contents of my wallet on a night out I'd be annoyed as I'd lose £10-£20, but I'd be mortified if I lost my card. This happened to me once (admittedly it was my fault) and I was in full scale panic mode until I got it back and knew nobody had used it.
Original post by ddtown
During freshers I don't want to take out a lot of money with me for obvious reasons but if I run out of cash, will there be a cash machine? Or do they accept credit/debit cards?

Most people pay with cash however some bars definitely do accept cards. The clubs I personally go to definitely don't though but maybe some of the bigger more mainstream ones do.

Best just to take £30 quid out and your card, if you run out just draw more money out. You get stamped on the way out so you can walk straight back in.
I've never had my card refused in a club or a bar, but I also don't recommend taking your card. I used to take my card with me all the time because I was scared there would be an emergency and I would need all my money, now I just make sure to keep cash separate from the rest for a taxi/food at the end of the night and make sure to stick to the cash I bring out. Cards on a night out mean I spend like £80 more than I ever intended to. Not a good idea.
Original post by ddtown

Taking a card on a night out is a horrible idea. I can think of so many stories involving me or one of my friends where they have spent far more than intended. One of my friends woke up after a night out to find a card receipt in his wallet, showing that he'd spent £40 in the local budget chicken takeaway. To this day he still has no idea how or why.
Reply 5
Original post by sr90
One of my friends woke up after a night out to find a card receipt in his wallet, showing that he'd spent £40 in the local budget chicken takeaway. To this day he still has no idea how or why.

One of my friends decided to blow £200 on a bottle of champagne, he didn't even manage to drink any of it and had no recollection of it happening.
Reply 6
Original post by ddtown

This will be a bad idea trust me, why not just take out cash and leave your card at your flat? When I get on the drinks, out with my card I just end up rinsing my bank account :wink:
If it's the hand stamping kind of establishment then - as long as it's not too late - you could always leave, go to a cash machine and then come back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending