The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Ask a Sheffield Hallam student anything.

I'm a student at Sheffield Hallam. Ask whatever takes your fancy :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi!
I'm going to enrol at SHU in about three weeks! I'm going to be studying BSc Psychology, do you know why the course induction takes two days?
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Can you think and talk at the same thing?
What language do you think in?
Have you ever thought in more than one language?
Which freshers week ticket should we buy and why the hell are there so many compared to other unis?
Reply 4
Original post by confusedtwat
Which freshers week ticket should we buy and why the hell are there so many compared to other unis?

I hope OP doesn't mind me answering. Hallam doesn't hold clubnights within the union, our official clubnight is held every wednesday at Crystal (a club otherwise separate from the student union). Most independent student nights in sheffield are ran by either 'EatMyDisco' or 'Sheffield Parties' who both offer wristbands for their freshers events. Either is a good choice if you insist on buying a wristband (Sheffield Parties might have a slight edge) or alternatively you can buy tickets to most the events through the promoter/Ticket Rep or even buy paying on the door (get down early or you'll be looking at an hour or more queueing time for some events). In terms of the daytime events there are also the 'fairs' held within the union, full details at http://www.hallamstudentsunion.com/events/6013/33/.
Reply 5
Hi, I just found out my accommodation and i've been offered a place in Egerton House. Do you know anything about this accommodation because I haven't had a chance to look around yet? Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by Wanderlust23
Hi!
I'm going to enrol at SHU in about three weeks! I'm going to be studying BSc Psychology, do you know why the course induction takes two days?

I can't remember that much in honesty. It was 3 years ago since I had my psychology induction.
They do ease you in slowly though. I remember one day was to show you around the campus; and then the second time they sat you down with an ice breaker (think it was in my instance, asking people about themselves; then finding people wearing certain clothes items).

Hope you enjoy the course - I really enjoyed it and am carrying on with an MSc.
Reply 7
Original post by beth15
Hi, I just found out my accommodation and i've been offered a place in Egerton House. Do you know anything about this accommodation because I haven't had a chance to look around yet? Thanks

I haven't had any personal experience in that accommodation but it seems reasonable.

http://www.shu.ac.uk/accommodation/residences/domino-egerton-headford.html

There you are just next to nightclubs, Corporation and DQ, if you're into that. You're also really close to town and fairly close to both campuses.
Though, I'm not sure what its like at night. Not a part I would like to walk around at night If I'm completely honest.

Most people for second or third years tend to get shared places with their mates; which tend to be a fair bit better than the uni accommodations.
Reply 8
Original post by queensboy
Can you think and talk at the same thing?
What language do you think in?
Have you ever thought in more than one language?

Sometimes I think in Spanish words when they sound better than their English counterparts :P
Reply 9
I will commute to Hallam by cycle or motorbike, depending where I end up living. Are there any lockers where I could store my gear during the day?
Original post by Matureb
I will commute to Hallam by cycle or motorbike, depending where I end up living. Are there any lockers where I could store my gear during the day?

I'm not entirely sure for the city campus, but there may be as it is massive - but I wouldn't count on it; haven't seen any the times I have been in. There are places to park bicycles outside the front.
There aren't any lockers at collegiate really. Again places for bicycles in car park within campus.
Thanks for replying.
It was suggested at the open day that if I join the gym, I could use one of the gym lockers. But it seems a bit unfair to keep a locker for the whole day and stop other gym users from using it.
Reply 12
What time are lectures usually at, just as a general rule of thumb?
Original post by sam1837
What time are lectures usually at, just as a general rule of thumb?

Can vary widely; but when I did my course they were fairly spread. In one semester you would have predominantly mornings, whilst in the second you would have predominantly afternoons... but maybe that's just how it worked out for my groups, or my course specifically.

I'd say you'd have a few pretty busy days, but some of your days will only have a few things going on. You will get the occasional day off too. I suppose mine were mostly late morning or afternoon. Attendance in early mornings wasn't always particularly great!
Original post by Matureb
Thanks for replying.
It was suggested at the open day that if I join the gym, I could use one of the gym lockers. But it seems a bit unfair to keep a locker for the whole day and stop other gym users from using it.

I suppose its reasonable, if you are a member of the gym and there are lots of lockers available. Didn't think of that. Careful with your bike outside there though - seen one or 2 bashed up ones before.
Im moving into central quay on the 14th, but im not sure what happens, what do i do with the papers i had to print out and where do i go to get the house keys and stuff.
Original post by EpicArif
Im moving into central quay on the 14th, but im not sure what happens, what do i do with the papers i had to print out and where do i go to get the house keys and stuff.

My lass stayed there so I had a few visits (I'm a Sheffield local so stayed home)... was alright. The reception there deals with everything I think! I'm assuming that's where she got her keys from. Probably best to give them a call before your move in date to make sure that all will be ok and that you will get your keys there and then.
Reply 17
I'm a 20 minute bus journey away from the City Campus so i decided not to move into halls. Exactly how hard is it going to be to meet people? from what I've read on here everyone will just not bother because they already have their flat mates.
Original post by LTG
I'm a 20 minute bus journey away from the City Campus so i decided not to move into halls. Exactly how hard is it going to be to meet people? from what I've read on here everyone will just not bother because they already have their flat mates.

You will end up having a lot of your classes with the same people, so you get to know them. Do make the effort though; like ask them if they fancy getting a drink or something to eat etc. :smile: Facebook is a big help too.
What's usually the process for moving in and how quick is it?

Wondering whether I should leave my stuff in the car or not before I get my key and hand in the forms. Also even with the booking slots, how busy can it be expected to be? If it helps I'm going on the Sunday rather than the Saturday.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending