The Student Room Group

A2 chemistry vs A2 biology. Which is harder/ tougher?

I got a B in AS biology and C in AS chemistry. and i want to be a mechanical engineer.
Will there be a higher chance that i will be accepted if i take chem instead of bio?
Hi Ben, I am Marvel

Firstly, congratulation on your AS results, many people will kill for the result you have achieved.

Personally, I don't really think there will be much of an difference between A2 Biology and Chemistry, as they are both highly-respected subject, certainly in the eyes of RG university. However, please check the specific subject requirements of your desired university, just to be sure

In terms of difficulties, I have done both A2 Biology and Chemistry and I will be honest with you.... In regards to the step-up from AS to A2, the gap in Biology is relatively minor compared with Chemistry, because the level of difficulties are pretty similar, there is just higher volume to learn and also the answering style is also pretty similar. (With less recall and more application ofc)

In chemistry, the step-up from AS to A2 is pretty major, both in terms of difficulties and volume of knowledge. And in chemistry there is more emphasis on understanding than chemistry, as A2 chemistry involve a lot of chemical calculations/theories, which you need to understand in order to apply it in the exam. In Biology, there is more element of pure recalls in Biology than chemistry. (It go without saying that you need to understand biological concepts as well, in order to apply it in exams, but I am sure you already know that) (Be aware that there is an reduction in pure recall in A2 Biology in comparison with AS Biology)

But if you willing to work hard, I am sure you will be successful in whichever subject/subject combo you choice to do. --Marvel
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Won't matter which you take. Go for the one you can get the grade in.

Biology was much of the same thing, personally, although I seemed to do better during A2. Lots of Ecology-based stuff on OCR though, so really it's a matter of whether the content will interest you. I didn't particularly enjoy it though.

Chemistry, I did OCR as well. I found the first module of A2 to be fine, it was a natural progression of the organic work done at AS. The A2 syllabus had quite a bit on acids and bases, and included more equilibra elements - which I think are more difficult to grasp, and require more mathematical competence. Depends why you have a C (i.e. a C in all modules, or an A and a D or so on). Check the syllabus and see what content comes up again/is used as basis, because if you're already starting with a slightly limited understanding then it doesn't get any easier.
Reply 3
Original post by MarvelAgent
Hi Ben, I am Marvel

Firstly, congratulation on your AS results, many people will kill for the result you have achieved.

Personally, I don't really think there will be much of an difference between A2 Biology and Chemistry, as they are both highly-respected subject, certainly in the eyes of RG university. However, please check the specific subject requirements of your desired university, just to be sure

In terms of difficulties, I have done both A2 Biology and Chemistry and I will be honest with you.... In regards to the step-up from AS to A2, the gap in Biology is relatively minor compared with Chemistry, because the level of difficulties are pretty similar, there is just higher volume to learn and also the answering style is also pretty similar. (With less recall and more application ofc)

In chemistry, the step-up from AS to A2 is pretty major, both in terms of difficulties and volume of knowledge. And in chemistry there is more emphasis on understanding than chemistry, as A2 chemistry involve a lot of chemical calculations/theories, which you need to understand in order to apply it in the exam. In Biology, there is more element of pure recalls in Biology than chemistry. (It go without saying that you need to understand biological concepts as well, in order to apply it in exams, but I am sure you already know that) (Be aware that there is an reduction in pure recall in A2 Biology in comparison with AS Biology)

But if you willing to work hard, I am sure you will be successful in whichever subject/subject combo you choice to do. --Marvel

Thank you so much for your reply! :smile:
I think i will drop chemistry and take Bio as i have checked that the third A level can be any subject from the sciences or computing or maths.
And also i think it will be easier to achieve an A grade in Bio than in chem since i have a higher AS grade in Bio. From what you said, chem also sounds harder!
Reply 4
Original post by Nymthae
Won't matter which you take. Go for the one you can get the grade in.

Biology was much of the same thing, personally, although I seemed to do better during A2. Lots of Ecology-based stuff on OCR though, so really it's a matter of whether the content will interest you. I didn't particularly enjoy it though.

Chemistry, I did OCR as well. I found the first module of A2 to be fine, it was a natural progression of the organic work done at AS. The A2 syllabus had quite a bit on acids and bases, and included more equilibra elements - which I think are more difficult to grasp, and require more mathematical competence. Depends why you have a C (i.e. a C in all modules, or an A and a D or so on). Check the syllabus and see what content comes up again/is used as basis, because if you're already starting with a slightly limited understanding then it doesn't get any easier.

Thanks for your reply! :smile:
Reply 5
For mech engineering, arent the only universal requirements maths and sometimes physics ?

You'll be fine dude.

Quick Reply

Latest