The Student Room Group

~| Left-Wing Bias In Teaching? My Crazy Left Wing Citizenship Teacher |~

My old citizenship teacher was unashamedly left-wing. He had a MASSIVE left-wing bias. Had Che Guevara posters on his classroom war, anti-war posters, pro-Mandela posters, stuff like that - and I even asked him at one point if he was a communist. As a result, when I spoke in class (I had very conservative views then) he would always encourage opposition to it even though he quite liked me as a student and even called me his favourite student at one point. When a student asked about the differences between the Conservatives and Labour he said "The Conservatives think if you're poor it's your own fault, Labour want to help the poor." And the student said with dismay that his mother voted Conservative. So telling a student which political party is good or bad - unashamed bias there.

He admitted he supported Fidel Castro. When I mentioned he was a dictator he said "I would rather have a dictator who cares about his people than a leader who doesn't." Fast forward a few years later and though I am an admirer of Castro I despise Communism and it was certainly shocking for him to unabashedly show off his lefty credentials for the entire class.

Eventually our relationship declined, mostly due to my massive pro-Christian, pro-Israel stance. He was massively pro-Palestine, and I often engaged in heated debate with the Muslims in our class, whom he rooted for. When I was bullied and harassed in the class, he did nothing. NOTHING. He even encouraged it. He kept trying to convince me of Israel's wrongdoing and Palestine's victimisation, and the breaking point came when I made comments about Islam (I do not remember what exactly I said). My teacher ignored the abuse I was subjected too, and rather condemned me for my rather angry reaction to it, which was completely out of order and nonsensically biased. He acted totally unprofessionally, and ignored the girl next to me pointing the middle finger at me, rather shouting at me when I tried to push it away, and claiming my personality contradicted my religion (Christianity) as I showed anger at the harassment. He humiliated me before the entire class to prove a political point and satisfy his nasty lefty bias. At a point he was one of my favourite teachers, and now I could not help feeling negatively towards him.

After class had finished, some Muslim boys in the class who had already been bullying me for a while said that they needed to have a talk with me outside. I knew what they wanted to do. I simply walked outside down the steps unafraid. Some were waiting down the steps for me. They then attempted to assault me, kicking my bag as I walked straight past them. I gave them no chance to pin me down and beat me up. They did me very little harm and mostly just hurled abuse, but I ignored them. My teacher had actively encouraged assault on a student who expressed his views. Political correctness and the left-wing bias of the teaching profession had brought about my humiliation. Rather shocked I made my way to lunch. A teacher who presumably had seen the incident came into the lunch hall to talk with me about it and she promised to have it reported.

Word got round to all the Muslims in the year group. I saw one of them calling other Muslim boys and saying "This kid, he's insulting Islam, yeah," and stuff like that, and after school one even came up to me and demanded angrily "Were you being racist?" before being pushed away by another boy.

I was devastated at how my teacher had behaved. He was George Galloway in the classroom! What a disgrace. He totally deserved to be sacked for his sickening, mendacious, unfettered, unadulterated, un-repressed, unashamed, BLATANT propaganda and indoctrination of his students in left-wing values, and arranging for the humiliation, isolation and bullying of those that did not conform. My parents go to know of what had happened, and were upset that I dared to talk about religion and Islam publicly, warning me that I should know better around those Muslim kids.

I rarely think about it now, as after a while my views towards Islam cooled and I became less of a conservative (I have become more so recently, then less as I have abandoned my religious faith and now consider myself a libertarian rather than a socially conservative left-wing statist). Now, my mind has been cast back to it and how my teacher behaved. My mother wanted a meeting with said teacher about it, but he pretended to be busy. He clearly did not want to discuss his unprofessional conduct.

I see him from time to time on his bike to school (I am now at another school, only went for one year. It was the worst in my area actually, and my mother was upset at me being picked to go there as it was not my first or second choice). I believe he saw me at my school when he passed by and smiled at me, but I did not return it. He totally should not be a teacher. He should be a politician, not a teacher. He should go and join Respect, I am sure he'd be welcomed by Mr Galloway and the rest of the Islamophilic loony left crew. Perhaps he should CONVERT to Islam.

Anyway, that school had a lot of Muslims, and it is not surprising that they would behave in that manner if they believe it to be their "turf". Perhaps that is why the school was so bad?

This was an instant of harassment by Muslim students against a BLACK boy who had spoken his mind about what is a quite terrible religion. Would such a reaction have been evoked if I had made comments on Christianity? How much more a white adult?

Complete disgrace. Freedom of speech clearly does not apply to such a horrible religion. Even now I rarely talk about Islam in public anymore, especially not to Muslims, not wanting to admit I find their faith criminal. I even did not want to answer a Muslim girl in my school when she said "What do you think of Muslims?" Obviously, I do not hate Muslims, or think they are all evil, but their religion is god awful.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wow.
Reply 2
A lot of teachers are left wing these days, more noticeably in the humanities.
Teachers are paid by the government. So it pays to be left wing, Literally. Labour wants wage rises and better conditions. :doctor::mob::mob::mob::sucks:
Original post by Arkasia
A lot of teachers are left wing these days, more noticeably in the humanities.

because in the humanities u can make **** up and not have to deal with the consequences. i swear some of these teachers are borderline fiction writers.

- (i study history, incase u start moaning lol)
Reply 5
Original post by Youis Trollin
Teachers are paid by the government. So it pays to be left wing, Literally. Labour wants wage rises and better conditions. :doctor::mob::mob::mob::sucks:

Same for the SAS, prison officiers and OBR economists.
Reply 6
Original post by Malorys ballsack
because in the humanities u can make **** up and not have to deal with the consequences. i swear some of these teachers are borderline fiction writers.

- (i study history, incase u start moaning lol)

Hardly. It is because humanities deal with actual thinking and extrapolating facts to include opinion and interpretation. STEM is more based in pure facts or, with maths, just plugging numbers or letters into an equation or formula.
Original post by Arkasia
Hardly. It is because humanities deal with actual thinking and extrapolating facts to include opinion and interpretation. STEM is more based in pure facts or, with maths, just plugging numbers or letters into an equation or formula.

Actual thinking? It's clear distortion of the facts in the name of 'interpretation'.
Reply 8
As long as he wasn't pushing his views on to you he is entitled to hold whatever views he likes and to express them in a constructive manner as long as it is in line with the curriculum and he doesn't shoot down opposing views.
Reply 9
Actual thinking? It's clear distortion of the facts in the name of 'interpretation'.

Distorting facts requires thinking. Recanting facts requires less.
Original post by Arkasia
Distorting facts requires thinking. Recanting facts requires less.

You think mathematicians just recant facts? It takes a lot of thinking to make logical deductions.
Original post by alapa
As long as he wasn't pushing his views on to you he is entitled to hold whatever views he likes and to express them in a constructive manner as long as it is in line with the curriculum and he doesn't shoot down opposing views.

From the OP it does sound as if his personal views are getting in the way of his professional duty.
You think mathematicians just recant facts? It takes a lot of thinking to make logical deductions.

Not at school level, which is what we are discussing. Up to A-level all you need to do is memorize 5-10 equations for any given module, remember how to insert numbers and in which order, and as long as you have a calculator you are fine.
Original post by Arkasia
Not at school level, which is what we are discussing. Up to A-level all you need to do is memorize 5-10 equations for any given module, remember how to insert numbers and in which order, and as long as you have a calculator you are fine.

You are quite right concerning GCSE and A-level syllabus. I don't consider politics a subject of interpreation like literature, policies in politics have clear practical implications, and teachers should remain impartial not overtly partisian.
You are quite right concerning GCSE and A-level syllabus. I don't consider politics a subject of interpreation like literature, policies in politics have clear practical implications, and teachers should remain impartial not overtly partisian.

Politics is incredibly subjective and open to interpretation? If it wasn't, there wouldn't be so many different voices and opinions. I agree that teachers should remain impartial, they should remember the power they have over dozens of teenage minds that are incredibly easy to influence.
Too long; didn't read.
Original post by Arkasia
Politics is incredibly subjective and open to interpretation? If it wasn't, there wouldn't be so many different voices and opinions. I agree that teachers should remain impartial, they should remember the power they have over dozens of teenage minds that are incredibly easy to influence.

Anything is open to interpretation. It seems absurd to me to say that policies cannot be assesed. For example no one could disagree that the NHS was an effective way of combatting disease and improving the general condition of the British people (it's a complete fact). No would could argue the economy wasn't screwed in 1929 as well. Some things in politics have more certainty than others, some things are a matter of interpretation, but there is ivory tower politics studied in academia and then there is the real world where people have to deal with the consequences of policy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
On behalf of the Muslims, I apologise. No one should be assaulted or abused in that manner, freedom of speech.

I would recommend perhaps being softer in your approach? Try talking about views that they can relate to.

By the way, teachers aren't allowed to preach their political views, I'd recommend taking that up with someone but not someone in the same department as they'd be biased.
Anything is open to interpretation. It seems absurd to me to say that policies cannot be assesed. For example no one could disagree that the NHS was an effective way of combatting disease and improving the general condition of the British people (it's a complete fact). No would could argue the economy wasn't screwed in 1929 as well. Some things in politics have more certainty than others, some things are a matter of interpretation, but there is ivory tower politics studied in academia and then there is the real world where people have to deal with the consequences of policy.

Agreed.
Original post by Arkasia

Maybe in GCSE (but even then there are the "A* questions" that require thinking but we you get on A level (especially FM and AFM) are not just plugging in numbers, you have to be able to apply, to prove, to show etc.

There is a reason most sciences have higher employability rates.

Back to the OP, what is the question you're asking, are you looking for advice? Well I do disagree with your views views on Muslims (well, I am one) But yeah, what they did to you was not justified, you should be able to have a debate and shake hands at the end of the day and I apologise for their actions (although I know it won't help much).

Anyway, teachers will always favour a few things, yes some teachers will be left wing and right wing I doubt that ever going to stop but the way he behaved with you, I feel was unacceptable, I felt you should report him and also report the people who abused you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending