The Student Room Group

Computing AS level or Further maths AS level?

Hey guys, I'm just going into year 13 now and need to finalise my subjects before I do. I took Maths/Chemistry/Geography/Economics at AS level in year 12, and I am planning to take all but chemistry on to A2. My dilemma is whether I should pick up one of computing or further maths AS level on top of these, and how beneficial they would be towards getting an offer to study computer science at university (Looking at maybe Warwick or Bath); also whether i'd be better off dedicating more time to just my 3 A2's. I got an A in AS level maths so hopefully I would be competent enough to hand FM, I am also currently doing a fast-track EPQ over the summer.

Thanks
Reply 1
Either would help - fm would probably be a little more respected, and computing would probably be a little more useful in the short term, but you'll cover pretty much all of the material from both within the first few months of uni anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by Damask-
Either would help - fm would probably be a little more respected, and computing would probably be a little more useful in the short term, but you'll cover pretty much all of the material from both within the first few months of uni anyway.

Thanks, I am a bit worried about the workload, do you think the benefits of FM outweigh the extra work?
If you're planning on doing 4 A2 levels...why pick up a 5th AS? Seems like a lot of unnecessary stress.
FM
Reply 5
Original post by Frank the Tankk
If you're planning on doing 4 A2 levels...why pick up a 5th AS? Seems like a lot of unnecessary stress.

I'm not, i'm dropping chemistry so I will only be doing 3 A2's and EPQ if I don't take up one of these two
Original post by nectempus
I'm not, i'm dropping chemistry so I will only be doing 3 A2's and EPQ if I don't take up one of these two

Sorry, read your post wrong...but imo, I don't think doing a 5th AS will affect whether or not you'll get offers, you probably won't get an AS grade as part of your conditions. I was thinking of taking AS FM this year but that was because I currently only have 3 AS Levels.
Reply 7
If you're applying to top-end Unis (particularly Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Durham and even other Russell group unis) then DEFINITELY Further Maths.

Many of them don't even list "computing" as preferred, but they'd all like further maths.
Reply 8
Original post by nectempus
Thanks, I am a bit worried about the workload, do you think the benefits of FM outweigh the extra work?

Without a doubt. It's also far easier than A2 Maths so... the workload shouldn't be that great.

Original post by BenjoH
Many of them don't even list "computing" as preferred, but they'd all like further maths.

Not quite sure why you put Computing in inverted commas there, since it's a perfectly suitable AS to have for CS, and at some universities it will get you an adjusted offer so is actually a serious advantage. We're not talking about Travel and Tourism here. :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by Damask-
Without a doubt. It's also far easier than A2 Maths so... the workload shouldn't be that great.

Not quite sure why you put Computing in inverted commas there, since it's a perfectly suitable AS to have for CS, and at some universities it will get you an adjusted offer so is actually a serious advantage. We're not talking about Travel and Tourism here. :rolleyes:

I didn't mean it in that way at all!
I just quoted it, probably in bad-style, to represent it being listed on the Uni's page.

Just ignore me :biggrin:

Quick Reply