The Student Room Group

imso: I'm worried about starting university and people judging me on my looks

Mods, please don't move this to the university forums as I'm banned from there.

It's true that when you first meet someone the only way of judging them is through their looks. I accept that, everyone does it and it's natural.

What I'm worried about is that when I go to Durham people will judge me on my looks and assume things about my personality based on my disgusting appearance.

What's it actually like? Guys did you judge girls on their looks when you first met them? Did you see them as inferior?

You probably do.

Scroll to see replies

Personally I would be more concerned about what people will think about the fact that you are attending a non-Oxbridge university. Even your fellow students at Durham will be drowning in collective self-loathing. Everyone knows Oxbridge are the only universities worth going to.
Original post by im so academic

It's true that when you first meet someone the only way of judging them is through their looks. I accept that, everyone does it and it's natural.

What I'm worried about is that when I go to Durham people will judge me on my looks and assume things about my personality based on my disgusting appearance.

What's it actually like? Guys did you judge girls on their looks when you first met them? Did you see them as inferior?

You probably do.

If I see a girl who's ugly, I just think "she's unattractive" and move on to thinking something different. I don't judge or make assumptions on their character from it. The only time I do that, is if somebody looks chavy or common, or has some aesthetic feature that assigns them to an unfavourable social group or class.
Original post by Birkenhead
Personally I would be more concerned about what people will think about the fact that you are attending a non-Oxbridge university. Even your fellow students at Durham will be drowning in collective self-loathing. Everyone knows Oxbridge are the only universities worth going to.

Birkenhead, when I was browsing through the forums instead of posting I've always wanted to speak with you. I know you're just being sarcastic as I know you study English at Bristol.
but..but... you're so academic :cry2:
Original post by Alex347_
If I see a girl who's ugly, I just think "she's unattractive" and move on to thinking something different. I don't judge or make assumptions on their character from it. The only time I do that, is if somebody looks chavy or common, or has some aesthetic feature that assigns them to an unfavourable social group or class.

OK. That's reasonable enough.
Original post by Secretnerd123
but..but... you're so academic :cry2:

First of all I'm not really and it doesn't matter if you're not beautiful as people can be overly judgemental and harsh. :frown:
Birkenhead, when I was browsing through the forums instead of posting I've always wanted to speak with you. I know you're just being sarcastic as I know you study English at Bristol.

A keen sense of humour you have there. What did you want to speak to me about?
First of all I'm not really and it doesn't matter if you're not beautiful as people can be overly judgemental and harsh. :frown:

how do you look? describe :smile:
Original post by Birkenhead
A keen sense of humour you have there. What did you want to speak to me about?

I just really admired you. You come across as very intelligent and cultured. You seem to be exactly the type of person I would like, but who would judge me on my looks and I would never have a chance with.

There was nothing really in particular I wanted to speak with you. I don't know, what are your preferences in girls? How are you with girls?

how do you look? describe :smile:

:frown: I don't want to. I just don't like my features and everything. I hate it. Don't want to go into detail about it all. It just makes me sad.

You probably do.

So you didn't get into Oxbridge in the end? Oh well, Durham is still pretty awesome.

You probably do.

Awww, :frown: I kind of want to give you a hug and tell you everything will be fine :smile:

:frown: I don't want to. I just don't like my features and everything. I hate it. Don't want to go into detail about it all. It just makes me sad.

you can pm me a pic of you if you want :smile:
Original post by SexyNerd
So you didn't get into Oxbridge in the end? Oh well, Durham is still pretty awesome.

No I didn't get into Cambridge.

Original post by JuliusDS92
Awww, :frown: I kind of want to give you a hug and tell you everything will be fine :smile:

I doubt it. :frown:

Academics aren't the be all and end all but looks are. I just wished I learnt that earlier so that I didn't have to waste so much time on my academia and more time on my looks and perhaps I'd be happier.
I swear you have been at university for a while now?
you can pm me a pic of you if you want :smile:

No, I hate pictures of myself. :cry:
No I didn't get into Cambridge.

I doubt it. :frown:

Academics aren't the be all and end all but looks are. I just wished I learnt that earlier so that I didn't have to waste so much time on my academia and more time on my looks and perhaps I'd be happier.

What did you apply for and which college?
Original post by SexyNerd
What did you apply for and which college?

It was the PPS Social and Political Sciences course. I've been here for so long I've seen it gone through a million name changes. That really annoyed me.

Will not mention which college.
It was the PPS Social and Political Sciences course. I've been here for so long I've seen it gone through a million name changes. That really annoyed me.

Will not mention which college.

Hmmmmmmm ok????
If people don't talk to you because you're ugly that's a testament to their character, in which case, you should be glad that you aren't befriending such people. I'm sure you'll be fine though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending