The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Freshers @ Loughborough

Just wandering if anyone is planning on getting 'Platinum(extra)' cards and if any current students could give their opinions on if it's worth it or not ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had platinum extra in my first year and it was the best purchase I made for my first year. It might seem a lot of money to pay up front but you will without a doubt get your money back if you are planning on going out a fair bit. Even if you just went out Fridays and to the freshers ball, you've saved money, and you save money on drinks in the union too. The que jump is a huge advantage because the ques get ridiculously long some nights and a que jump of any time before 11:30 is great. I've even bought it for my second year because then all your union nights out are paid for and you don't have to worry about getting the money out for the entry. So yeah I would really recommend it :-)
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
I agree with Emily - I've bought Platinum rather than Platinum Extra and I'm not sure which is best for you, but having it definitely saved me money in my first year! If you think you'll be going out a lot (and in general, the Union is the main place, especially for freshers) then it's worth getting Extra. I was more hit and miss with nights out so I got the standard one, but that still gets you quite a lot!
Reply 3
Original post by LSUFever
I agree with Emily - I've bought Platinum rather than Platinum Extra and I'm not sure which is best for you, but having it definitely saved me money in my first year! If you think you'll be going out a lot (and in general, the Union is the main place, especially for freshers) then it's worth getting Extra. I was more hit and miss with nights out so I got the standard one, but that still gets you quite a lot!

Do we have to pay to enter the union on nights out during freshers weeks?
Reply 4
Original post by CurlyC

Union nights have an entry fee, then of course drinks costs like any other night out. Your hall subs (and if you get it, platinum) include entry fees to union nights as part of the cost. For instance, platinum extra gets you free entry to certain union nights throughout the year.

So to answer your question, you may need to pay for some freshers week nights if you do not get platinum, but I think some may be covered by your hall subs. Even if you do have to pay entry, it's still quite cheap for standard nights. The most expensive night is the freshers ball at £39 (I think) because of the extra bells and whistles. Normal nights are all less than £5 entry.
Reply 5
Original post by Digo
Just wandering if anyone is planning on getting 'Platinum(extra)' cards and if any current students could give their opinions on if it's worth it or not ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am going to loughborugh this year and don't think I'm going to get it. it is a lot of money and what if you decide to club outside the university or if your friends don't have it you might not want to que jumpy without them. I don't really know though obviously just think its a lot to spend on top of everything else
Reply 6
What do you wear to the freshers ball? :colondollar: :confused:
Original post by Digo
Just wandering if anyone is planning on getting 'Platinum(extra)' cards and if any current students could give their opinions on if it's worth it or not?

Had it 1st and 2nd year, 100% worth it.
But a word of advice, get extra. You'll regret it for the entire year if you only get regular Platinum I promise you, and if you go out once a week to the union (which you will!) then you'll save your money on entry and drinks, plus Freshers Ball, no question.

Original post by CurlyC

If you've paid for your Freshers Pack with your halls, all the events are provided except for Freshers Week which you have to pay for is the Freshers Ball at £39.

Original post by aweir96
What do you wear to the freshers ball? :colondollar: :confused:

Guys wear suits (blazer optional), guys wear nice dresses but not ball gowns. Heels optional but not really advised in the union tbh.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending