The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cultural norms. I'm a girl and I've never made the first move in my life, mostly because I've never needed to, guys whoare worth persuing (i.e. confident and interest in you) will approach you.
Women approach attractive men all the time.
Reply 3
So in essence, guys get the shifty end of the stick..
Original post by JoshZ
So in essence, guys get the shifty end of the stick..

Nope. Unattractive people get the ****ty end of the stick. Gender is irrelevant.
women are tentative about approaching men as we often don't know what they're going to be like or how they'll react to things, ie are they violent etc.
R E J E C T I O N. :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by karmacrunch
R E J E C T I O N. :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

But we get that too. :cry2:
It's simple. Women don't want to be rejected. It's ok for men to be rejected though apparently...

You have to be really good looking for a girl to approach you but even then the good looks might put her off approaching..
Reply 9
Original post by cole-slaw
Nope. Unattractive people get the ****ty end of the stick. Gender is irrelevant.

I disagree. I see and have heard from plenty of what you would call 'attractive men' and they agree with me on the fact that women very rarely approach them. When I say women I do not mean fat drunken slobs in a night club.

I agree that being attractive helps more women approach you but still then it is a lot rarer compared to the number of times an attractive woman is approached by members of the opposite sex.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 8472
But we get that too. :cry2:

I know! It's double standards; as there are gender roles etc. in society you guys are supposed to lead the way. Maybe girls are more scared of rejection than you guys anyway? I'm not sure.

It's okay. :hugs:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JoshZ
I disagree. I see and have heard from plenty of what you would call 'attractive men' and they agree with me on the fact that women very rarely approach them. When I say women I do not mean fat drunken slobs in a night club.

I agree that being attractive helps more women approach you but still then it is a lot rarer compared to the number of times an attractive woman is approached by members of the opposite sex.

Clearly the friends you think are attractive are actually not at all attractive.

Trust me, if you're a decent looking guy and you dress well and go out with your mates to the right kind of pubs and bars, women come up and chat to you all the time.
Well I'm a black girl- loads of guys black and white seem to like non-black and say rude things about us, so why bother?

I'm seen a unnatractive by society and most men so I don't feel comfortable approaching, I would rather someone approached me.

Also, I think only a conventionally stereotypically attractive woman can approach men with success... which is why women dont do it as much
Reply 13
Clearly the friends you think are attractive are actually not at all attractive.

Trust me, if you're a decent looking guy and you dress well and go out with your mates to the right kind of pubs and bars, women come up and chat to you all the time.

*Facepalm* There are women on this thread who beg to differ. I shall say it once and once more only.

There are two people:
Attractive man and attractive female.

Attractive female gets approached by absolutely tonnes of males.
Attractive male gets approached by a couple females.

Unless the male is clearly loaded then you can't refute this.
(edited 9 years ago)
They feed of our awkward embarrassing attempts to ask them out. :tongue:

I'm sure they do approach. Or at least try and make it obvious they like you. Which is where I think I go wrong, none of them that I like like me back...

What this guy said. (regardless of his views on social drinking ¬¬)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
They feed of our awkward embarrassing attempts to ask them out. :tongue:

Which is why I let them starve :biggrin:
Original post by JoshZ
*Facepalm* There are women on this thread who beg to differ. I shall say it once and once more only.

There are two people:
Attractive man and attractive female.

Attractive female gets approached by absolutely tonnes of males.
Attractive male gets approached by a couple females.

Unless the male is clearly loaded then you can't refute this.

That is the myth, but it is not the reality.

Attractive men get approached at exactly the same rate as attractive women.

The difference is that men are more likely to overestimate their own attractiveness, and then when they don't get approached they think its because they're men, whereas in fact its because they're unattractive.
Reply 17
Original post by xoflower
Well I'm a black girl- loads of guys black and white seem to like non-black and say rude things about us, so why bother?

I'm seen a unnatractive by society and most men so I don't feel comfortable approaching, I would rather someone approached me.

Also, I think only a conventionally stereotypically attractive woman can approach men with success... which is why women dont do it as much

Hate how race is always brought into this.If you are an attractive person people will come up to you and start talking/interacting.I have had all races make some what of an advances and have approached boys who I thought were attractive/liked.
Original post by waaahey
Hate how race is always brought into this.If you are an attractive person people will come up to you and start talking/interacting.I have had all races make some what of an advances and have approached boys who I thought were attractive/liked.

Are you black?

Racial stereotypes can stop people coming up to you and talking.
Attractive or not people cannot see past race.

Race does matter in the real world, sorry.
Reply 19
Original post by xoflower
Are you black?

Racial stereotypes can stop people coming up to you and talking.
Attractive or not people cannot see past race.

Race does matter in the real world, sorry.

Well Race has never been an issue for me, sorry if it has been for you :smile:. If there is mutual interest between two people don't really see the problem.

Race only matters to those people that make it an issue.:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending