The Student Room Group

URGENT Advice Needed

Would I get into Dentistry at a decent Uni when I currently have BBBD at AS Level with the D being in Chemistry and no dentistry-related work experience?

More info available below:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I need to know what I need to do at this point to get into dentistry. I am at the lowest point of the low but I think I have the determination to get done whatever needs doing. I'm expecting to take a gap year at this point but I hope that I don't have to.

My situation:

GCSE:
A*/A*/A*/A/A/A/A/A/A/C

AS LEVEL: BBBD

RS: (B++) - 1 UMS off A
Unit 01: 98/100 (A++)
Unit 02: 60/100 (C++) [Read essay title incorrectly]

Biology: (B++) - 2 UMS off A
Unit 01: 70/100 (B)
Unit 02: 121/140 (A)
Unit 3X: 48/60 (A--)

Maths: (B++) - 4 UMS off A
Unit C1: 73/100 (B)
Unit C2: 86/100 (A)
Unit S1: 77/100 (B++)

Chemistry: (D++) - Everything just went abysmally

What I hope to do is:

- Drop: Maths
- Resit: Maths (C1); Biology (Unit 01); RS (Unit 02) and every Chemistry module

This should bump my as grades up to all As

This should put me on for: A2 Grades
[RS/BIOL/CHEM]

Achieved: [A*/A/A]
Predicted: [A/A/B]
No.
Reply 2
Care to elaborate or provide any constructive advice?
Original post by ibz100
Would I get into Dentistry at a decent Uni when I currently have BBBD at AS Level with the D being in Chemistry and no dentistry-related work experience?

More info available below:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I need to know what I need to do at this point to get into dentistry. I am at the lowest point of the low but I think I have the determination to get done whatever needs doing. I'm expecting to take a gap year at this point but I hope that I don't have to.

My situation:

GCSE:
A*/A*/A*/A/A/A/A/A/A/C

AS LEVEL: BBBD

RS: (B++) - 1 UMS off A
Unit 01: 98/100 (A++)
Unit 02: 60/100 (C++) [Read essay title incorrectly]

Biology: (B++) - 2 UMS off A
Unit 01: 70/100 (B)
Unit 02: 121/140 (A)
Unit 3X: 48/60 (A--)

Maths: (B++) - 4 UMS off A
Unit C1: 73/100 (B)
Unit C2: 86/100 (A)
Unit S1: 77/100 (B++)

Chemistry: (D++) - Everything just went abysmally

What I hope to do is:

- Drop: Maths
- Resit: Maths (C1); Biology (Unit 01); RS (Unit 02) and every Chemistry module

This should bump my as grades up to all As

This should put me on for: A2 Grades
[RS/BIOL/CHEM]

Achieved: [A*/A/A]
Predicted: [A/A/B]

Hope this advice is constructive.
Why do you think that dentistry is the course for you when you haven't done any work experience???
The first thing you need to do is to get some dentistry work experience and explore whether this is the course for you. Also dental schools require minimum 2 weeks relevant work experience
Secondly you say that you want to do dentistry at a decent Uni. ALL DENTISTRY COURSES are good - all are accredited courses and people tend to apply to the Uni that meets their personal preference or the one that they think they have the best chance of securing an interview. Relatively few Unis offer dentistry and completion for places is fierce. Do your research, UCAS website course search is the best start and has links to the dental schools.
For dentistry you must be predicted/achieve AAA including biology and chemistry.
If you are serious about applying then I personally think you should consider applying for 2016 entry with achieved A2 grades. Your GCSE's are fine BUT I hope that your C isn't in English as this will limit your options. By applying in 2016 you should have proved you have the grades and have ticked the other boxes (work experience, volunteering, manual dexterity etc)
Finally do go to October dental school open days. By attending the talks led by admissions tutors you will get lots of information about the course, entry requirements and advice on what you need to do to get the best chance of an interview.
Reply 4
C is in Art. Thank you so very much. You've definitely helped me. I guess I'll apply in 2016 then. Thank You!

Quick Reply

Latest