The Student Room Group

BBC's Sunday Morning Live asks: "Is multiculturalism working?" 95% say NO

A whopping 95 percent of respondents to a BBC straw poll have said that they think multiculturalism in Britain is a failure. The poll was taken yesterday morning during the BBC’s Sunday Morning Live show, and asked “Is multiculturalism working?” Just 5 percent said “Yes”; 95 percent said “No”.

[video="youtube;L_oIUHRRCTM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_oIUHRRCTM[/video]

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/08/31/95-percent-of-BBC-viewers-think-multiculturalism-has-failed
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by thesabbath
A whopping 95 percent of respondents to a BBC straw poll have said that they think multiculturalism in Britain is a failure.

Given that the panel on the show couldn't agree what multiculturalism is it is difficult to give the phone poll much credence

Clearly it gives a view of the perception of some Sunday morning TV viewers but I am not sure it is a particularly educated view

What do you think that multiculturalism is?
Of course it is a failure. The only time it ever worked was during the London riots.
This really doesn't say a lot for the intelligence of Sunday Morning Live viewers. However, on top of this I'd mention another thing. People who are against multiculturalism are much more likely to be angry and fiercely against it than proponents and hence, they're more likely to call in and voice their opinion. This poll is probably not a fair representation of the programme's viewers and definitely not a representation of the general public.
Reply 5
On the same show they were talking about fracking. None of them knew what they were talking about, except the one energy guy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Multiculturalism ONLY benefits non white third world immigrants as they come from vastly inferior societies

To say that multiculturalism enriches white countries is an outright lie

Non whites ate desperate to live with whites in white countries and not vice versa
I can't find anything about how the poll was conducted and what the sample size was. Until we get that information, its findings are to be completely disregarded. It looks like it was done during a Saturday morning live show, in which case it might not be representative.

This poll seems to contradict the BBC one.
http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2013/04/19/poll-reveals-huge-public-support-for-multiculturalism
It's a dodgy question too. I am completely in favour of multiculturalism. However, I'd agree with the statement that in the UK it currently isn't working - with failed macroeconomic policy resulting in many ethnic minorities living in narrow areas rather than being dispersed across the country, promoting division and poor relations. Thus people who both support and oppose multiculturalism can easily end up on the same side of this poll - the results cannot be used to claim a lack of support for multiculturalism.
That low? i would've guessed at least 99% (and the 1% on TSR :rolleyes:)
So much PRSOM on this thread.
Original post by Chlorophile
This really doesn't say a lot for the intelligence of Sunday Morning Live viewers.

Original post by TenOfThem
Clearly it gives a view of the perception of some Sunday morning TV viewers but I am not sure it is a particularly educated view

Bit arrogant that you thin k they're unintelligent or uneducated just because they don't think the same as you. It may be a good idea, but in its present state it isn't working.
Original post by Skip_Snip
Bit arrogant that you thin k they're unintelligent or uneducated just because they don't think the same as you. It may be a good idea, but in its present state it isn't working.

How? Why? We've got a lot of problems in society, I really don't think that multiculturalism is responsible for any of them.
Were they tested on the actual meaning of the word multiculturalism and its alternatives before being allowed to answer the poll?
Don't see why people are arguing about whether the viewers were primed for a precise definition of multiculturalism. The poll shows that in the interpretation of the majority of the viewers, it isn't working in the UK today - and that's what matters.

Also I don't think the demographics will be significantly different to the overall population; I also highly doubt there'll be a responder effect (i.e. Nos are intrinsically more active/vocal than yesses).

As someone who is in favour of multiculturalism and racial harmony generally, I find this worrying. But I'm not sticking my head in the sand about the numbers of people who feel this way.
Original post by Skip_Snip

I obviously did not make myself clear - the show seemed incapable of presenting a reasoned argument - all the panellists did was argue about the definition of the term

Therefore - they were not educated by the show I am well aware that the audience of the show has a wide demography

Rather arrogant of you to think that you know what I think on this topic since I certainly did not give a view on this issue

Perhaps - given that you have a view - you could answer the question that I posed to the OP - What do you think that Multiculturalism is?
(edited 9 years ago)
Well, with the Daily Mail whipping up fear and hatred nearly every day, it's not really a surprise is it?
Original post by perfectsymbology
Well, with the Daily Mail whipping up fear and hatred nearly every day, it's not really a surprise is it?

That's mature 'Blame the mail':rolleyes:
Well yeah, it's the people who read it who are to blame I guess.
Original post by perfectsymbology

I think it is more to do with pakistani rape gangs, islamic extremism. The fact that people do not want diversity

Blaming the mail is simply sticking your head in the sand

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending