The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford 2015/16 Postgraduate Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by allos
So, according to grad cafe, oxford has stopped giving offers to MPhil Economics this week. The Faculty of Economics just gave offers to MPhil Economics for Development.

Could this mean I am wait listed or something for the Economics programme? Or could it probably mean I ain't getting any funding even if I ever get an offer?

I'm probably over thinking this but I am so stressed...

The department tells me they still have offers to give out. They also said that all decisions would be out by the end of this week, but that's looking increasingly unlikely...
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
This might be a stupid question, but do yoy have to accept the offer to be considered for funding?
Original post by aplazzarin
This might be a stupid question, but do yoy have to accept the offer to be considered for funding?

Not a stupid question! I wondered the same thing at first, but no, you don't. I think they realise that some people need to know whether they've secured funding before they can accept their offer. I haven't accepted my offer, but I was nominated for ESRC funding.
Are there consequences for accepting an offer and then not taking it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LadyMede

Posted from TSR Mobile

on my offer letter it says that I can refuse after having accepted the offer within the next 7 days. Don't know what would happen otherwise.
Didn't appreciate just how much two years of course fees and living expenses was until after I got the offer :shock:
Reply 2106

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it often happens, especially if you can't pay. It's less appreciated when you accept a scholarship and reject it in the end.
Reply 2107

I've done this before. There aren't any official consequences -- a university can't wield any disciplinary sticks on you if you're not there. And there'd be little incentive to anyway even if they could, as it would just dissuade people from applying and give the department a bad reputation. In theory someone might remember your name, I suppose. But in practice this is pretty unlikely for two reasons. First, most people involved are reasonable and know (better than you do) how response deadlines at different universities don't make it easy. Second, it's not uncommon (attractive candidates are likely to pick up attractive offers from several institutions, usually with unhelpfully unaligned response deadlines, and there are always people who accept offers but can't fund attendance themselves in the end), and everyone involved is busy, and there're a bunch of postgrad applicants every year. No one is going to have the mental space to care.

If you find yourself in a position where you have to do this, email the department you're rejecting so they know what you're doing, and follow that with a grateful letter explaining you can't come after all. It's polite to let them know as early as you can if you're rejecting an offer with funding attached to it, so that they can offer the funding to another candidate as fast as possible.

If you accept an offer, sign a contract, and then don't take it up much closer to -- or worse, after -- the start of the year you may find yourself being asked to pay some proportion of the fees, or what-have-you. That's a different kettle of fish.

Original post by Mouldywart
Didn't appreciate just how much two years of course fees and living expenses was until after I got the offer :shock:

Obviously the fees are fixed, but I believe they tend to overestimate the living expenses a bit. Oxford's not a cheap place to live but if you're frugal you won't spend so much. However, you'll need to indicate that you can meet the financial guarantee thing they ask for even if you end up spending less in practice. (This financial guarantee thing is a vexed issue which produced a court case a year or two ago.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2108
Original post by Jamstar
Not a stupid question! I wondered the same thing at first, but no, you don't. I think they realise that some people need to know whether they've secured funding before they can accept their offer. I haven't accepted my offer, but I was nominated for ESRC funding.

Original post by aplazzarin

Accept your offer, you can refuse to go if you don't have funding.
Original post by FudgeFairy
My friend (who also has a conditional offer for the MSt, but in a different faculty) received an email yesterday asking her to apply for the HEFCE bursary, but I have yet to receive one although I'm eligible. Do you know if this means the university aren't considering me for one? Do they send the emails out at the same time? Both of us applied before the January deadline btw, although I got my offer last week an accepted yesterday, whereas she did it over a month ago.

I've got a conditional offer MSc too which I've accepted and haven't received any emails about scholarships/bursaries as of yet. I got my offer in the first week of March and I emailed them yesterday about the HEFCE as I feel I'm eligible. Just waiting to hear back from them.

Does your friend know the college they got into?
Anyone heard anything for Dphil in International relations/politics?
Original post by sandman123
Anyone heard anything for Dphil in International relations/politics?

Not here. No DPhil results on GradCafe either. I don't know how I will hold up if this wait extends into April.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Crystalclearmagic
I've got a conditional offer MSc too which I've accepted and haven't received any emails about scholarships/bursaries as of yet. I got my offer in the first week of March and I emailed them yesterday about the HEFCE as I feel I'm eligible. Just waiting to hear back from them.

Does your friend know the college they got into?

Yeah they do. I'm still waiting on my college decision :/ I hope they don't send those emails out all at once!
I dont think anyone waiting for the MPhil in economics should be worried.
Oxford sends out rejections and acceptances together, so you can't really gauge much from not being notified yet
oh and hopefully all the Mphils in economics will be sent out today
Original post by Mouldywart

same here...
I just got the best/most confusing email from ODID saying that theyve forwarded me for university scholarships and I'm one of their top nominees. Theyre 'quite hopeful I'll receive full funding now'

Aaaahhhh what does this mean? How happy should I be?
Reply 2117
Original post by person28
I just got the best/most confusing email from ODID saying that theyve forwarded me for university scholarships and I'm one of their top nominees. Theyre 'quite hopeful I'll receive full funding now'

I don't see how this is confusing.
Original post by allos
I don't see how this is confusing.

It's confusing in that I'm not sure if I can allow myself to celebrate yet or not
Original post by person28

Wow - lucky! Which course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending