The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford 2015/16 Postgraduate Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tulareyn
Hello,

Does anyone have any specific experience with applying for an MSc in Chemistry? Will a score of 76 in my second year be competitive for this course or not? I am also taking a year 'out' next year to go to university in Hong Kong, where I'll be doing Chemistry & French, and then hopefully an internship in the summer before I start my third year, so any application would be quite far off yet. I hope that all these things will help, does anyone think I have a decent chance?

Also, regarding the DPhils on offer at Oxford, do you have to be a truly exceptional candidate to skip the MSci?

Thanks

Hey, I was kind of in a similar situation, except with biological sciences. I did a year abroad on exchange with a summer internship in a lab just after. I've just finished my BSc and will be starting a DPhil in October, so I would say if you have the experience and are passionate about a certain area there should be nothing stopping you applying for a DPhil straight off. Have you looked at any of the DTCs (what I am doing) as they include a year of lectures/ rotations so perhaps a masters wouldn't be as important? Although I know a few people who have got places on straight DPhils after BSc, one in Chemistry (he actually applied for a DTC and didn't get on, but then got offered a normal DPhil). I would say it really just depends how well your area of interest fits with a potential supervisor's.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Anyone still waiting on college allocation?? This is literally getting to the point of sheer ridiculousness. Almost 19 weeks since my department offer when it's suggested 8-10....
Reply 3562
Original post by Crystalclearmagic
Anyone still waiting on college allocation?? This is literally getting to the point of sheer ridiculousness. Almost 19 weeks since my department offer when it's suggested 8-10....

Just write to them ffs.

I'm sure I've seen previous years where people have waited several months, so don't panic too much (I know, easy to say). Call your department and/or central admissions and ask, and perhaps ask in the 2014/2015 thread if anyone else was still waiting at this point last year. Keep calm and call admissions, right? :yes:
What's the procedure after clearing your condition?

I've emailed in my transcript and wondering what happens next.
Reply 3565
Hi everyone!

A 2016 applicant here! Hoping to apply for a Mst in Global Governance and Diplomacy. Has anyone here applied for the 2015 session? I have a First from the University of London International Programmes in Politics & I.R (academic direction from the LSE), scored world distinctions in 2 of the modules and have been managing the UOL Programme and teaching two modules in my home country for a registered institution. Graduated in 2013. What are my chances of getting into Oxford and obtaining full funding+stipend?
Hi,

I'm not involved in applications for 2015 entry, as I've just finished my 2nd year at uni, but was wanting to ask about my chances of gaining an offer for 2016.

I study maths at UCL and have an average of 71 after my first two years. In terms of grades, is this enough to warrant an application to Oxford for the Maths with introductory computer science course?

I know being on a first is usually good enough, but I understand the standard is usually very high for maths.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by mathboywithatail

Hi, you study maths, right? Could you possibly tell me where you applied from and with what kind of marks you applied with in your second year? I'm wanting to apply for maths with introductory computer science but will be applying for 2016 entry.

Thanks
Original post by factor24
Hi,

I'm not involved in applications for 2015 entry, as I've just finished my 2nd year at uni, but was wanting to ask about my chances of gaining an offer for 2016.

I study maths at UCL and have an average of 71 after my first two years. In terms of grades, is this enough to warrant an application to Oxford for the Maths with introductory computer science course?

I know being on a first is usually good enough, but I understand the standard is usually very high for maths.

Thanks in advance!
There is a Maths and the Foundations of CS course in Oxford. This course is combined pure maths and theoretical CS. "Foundations" refers to theoretical, rather than to introductory. There is exactly one (optional) introductory CS course. Other than that, all classes, both maths and CS are upper level.

Here is the course handbook. The last section contains this year's courses and prerequisites. You might want to have a look at that.
http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/MFoCS%20Handbook%202014_5.pdf
WOOOOHOOOO!

Out of interest, and sorry if you've already posted this, when did you get your college allocation offer? I'm still waiting on mine and literally have no idea what to do re. accommodation etc etc :'(

I received an email on April 9th stating that I had been rejected by my choice college, and then on May 20th I received my offer email from LMH with the info that I had a college place but no accommodation, and then on July 1st I received news of my accommodation place.

Can't believe some colleges still haven't gotten around to making decisions...I hope you don't have to wait too much longer!!
Hello there. Anybody who might be interested in sharing a flat with me? Looking for a clean and discrete person and my budget is around 500GBP/month.

I am Greek and will be studying an MSt/MPhil in Law as of October.

PM me if interested.
I'm still also waiting to hear back regarding what college I'll be in. I got accepted onto my course back in May though, it will have been ten weeks on Friday. I've sent plenty of emails, only to be told every time that I just have to wait and they can't give me any more information.

To the other people still waiting on a college; what did you put for your first choice? Perhaps some colleges are just slower than others. I put Queens.
Does anybody know how necessary it is to have an additional language (European) in order to achieve a place at Oxford to study the MSt in British and European History from 1500? I'll have studied Latin somewhat extensively by the time I apply (next year) but as it is not a medieval-based course, I don't think they'd be too bothered about this, and would no doubt prefer a grounding in French or something instead.

I know I can always learn a language alongside my studies, but my primary goal is achieving a first, and I'd hate to get distracted studying a language I don't really need.

Does anyone know of anybody who has achieved a place on this course without having an extra language at hand?

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 3573
Original post by holly_1994
Does anybody know how necessary it is to have an additional language (European) in order to achieve a place at Oxford to study the MSt in British and European History from 1500? I'll have studied Latin somewhat extensively by the time I apply (next year) but as it is not a medieval-based course, I don't think they'd be too bothered about this, and would no doubt prefer a grounding in French or something instead.

I know I can always learn a language alongside my studies, but my primary goal is achieving a first, and I'd hate to get distracted studying a language I don't really need.

Does anyone know of anybody who has achieved a place on this course without having an extra language at hand?

Thank you! :smile:

It depends on your proposed thesis. If you want to write sth on German History, it seems logical to speak German. If you want to write your thesis on English social housing since the 1950s, they will probably don't care.
Is it normal to be accepted by more than one college? I waited over five months to receive my first college offer but then an offer from another college came a week after. I did not apply for any scholarship.
I've just been offered a studentship to study for a DPhil, and they want me to start in September. However, I'm really worried about applying to colleges this late. I have a fairly good idea of how the system works and know which colleges accept students for my department, but it's still daunting. I'm scared that I won't be accepted be any colleges full stop! :frown:

The plan was for me to get accepted onto a course and my boyfriend to get a job nearby and join me as soon as he could, but I'm not sure how that will fit in with the college system. Do colleges generally like their graduate students to live within the college or would it be OK for me to seek accommodation elsewhere? Most of the colleges aren't particularly close to my department (on the Old Road campus), and I'm not particularly keen on going back into halls, especially with the bf in tow. Obviously finding somewhere to live at such short notice would also be an issue, so it would be good to have the option of short-term college accommodation, if such a thing is possible.

Basically, I have no idea what I'm doing. Can anyone help me?
Original post by Philbert
I've just been offered a studentship to study for a DPhil, and they want me to start in September. However, I'm really worried about applying to colleges this late. I have a fairly good idea of how the system works and know which colleges accept students for my department, but it's still daunting. I'm scared that I won't be accepted be any colleges full stop! :frown:

The plan was for me to get accepted onto a course and my boyfriend to get a job nearby and join me as soon as he could, but I'm not sure how that will fit in with the college system. Do colleges generally like their graduate students to live within the college or would it be OK for me to seek accommodation elsewhere? Most of the colleges aren't particularly close to my department (on the Old Road campus), and I'm not particularly keen on going back into halls, especially with the bf in tow. Obviously finding somewhere to live at such short notice would also be an issue, so it would be good to have the option of short-term college accommodation, if such a thing is possible.

Congrats on your studentship! Unless your subject works differently given the short notice, the college thing should work automatically (ie even if you haven't selected a college preference, one should still contact you with an offer). You're guaranteed a college offer now you have been accepted by your department. You don't have to live in college accomm, and indeed generally college accomm for couples is pretty limited but sometimes available and might be slightly subsidised. You're perfectly free to find private accommodation.
Original post by dramallama
Congrats on your studentship! Unless your subject works differently given the short notice, the college thing should work automatically (ie even if you haven't selected a college preference, one should still contact you with an offer). You're guaranteed a college offer now you have been accepted by your department. You don't have to live in college accomm, and indeed generally college accomm for couples is pretty limited but sometimes available and might be slightly subsidised. You're perfectly free to find private accommodation.

Thanks for that, that's very reassuring :smile:
Original post by rubbish9529
Is it normal to be accepted by more than one college? I waited over five months to receive my first college offer but then an offer from another college came a week after. I did not apply for any scholarship.

This is a mistake, or there have been some crossed wires somewhere. Contact both colleges and let them know that another college has apparently 'accepted' you. I'm sure it's the case that you'll end up at one of these two, but contact them ASAP.
Reply 3579
Original post by Philbert

Who gave you a scholarship so late?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending