The Student Room Group

Philosophy or Sociology A-Level?

I'm taking History, Psychology and Photography but i cant decide between Philosophy or Sociology as my 4th.
(((I'm interested in doing psychology at uni.))) These are both 2 new subjects for me, not entirely sure of the differences between the 2.
In my GCSE's I preferred the essay type questions like English lit and history coursework where there's not really a right or wrong answer. What are both Philosophy or Sociology exams like?
I'm interested in issues like poverty, homeless, feminism, whether or not gods real ect
ALSO this is my 4th subject, so my least of priority and will probably drop it after the first year?
So should i take the easiest of the 2, which is the easiest?

Sorry to be a pain, i will do some more research of the subjects....My interview is tomorrow just wanted to hear some opinions. :colondollar::colondollar:

*****I'm interested in psychology from a talking-therapy/counselling way, mental health. Also really interested in motives and minds of serial killers and stuff
(edited 9 years ago)
Psychology at university involves a lot of biology and statistics.
Original post by Lilly09
I'm taking History, Psychology and Photography but i cant decide between Philosophy or Sociology as my 4th.
I'm interested in doing psychology at uni. These are both 2 new subjects for me, not entirely sure of the differences between the 2.
In my GCSE's I preferred the essay type questions like English lit and history coursework where there's not really a right or wrong answer. What are both Philosophy or Sociology exams like?
I'm interested in issues like poverty, homeless, feminism, whether or not gods real ect
ALSO this is my 4th subject, so my least of priority and will probably drop it after the first year?
So should i take the easiest of the 2, which is the easiest?

Sorry to be a pain, i will do some more research of the subjects....My interview is tomorrow just wanted to hear some opinions. :colondollar::colondollar:

Hi,

First of all what do you want to be or what do you want to go into?

Sociology is a mixture of, theories, essay writing and a little bit of science. Many people take this and psychology alongside biology because it links in with receptors, the brain, neurons etc. Exam questions vary between right answer questions and no wright or wrong answer questions.

Philosophy, on the other hand is more or less essay based and considerably easier; in comparison to sociology. By the sounds of it, Philosophy is the one more suited to you. If you have time, take a look at paper on both of these subjects. You will soon find out which one you prefer :smile:.

Hope this helps, Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
I took sociology alongside psychology and also want to do psychology at uni. I don't really know much about taking philosophy, but I would say sociology would be the better option for you to take because it sounds like you'd quite like social psychology, which sociology ties in with quite easily. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't you need a Science to do Psychology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StudyMunchkin
Hi,

First of all what do you want to be or what do you want to go into?

Psychology is a mixture of, theories, essay writing and a fair bit of science. Many people take this alongside biology because it links in with receptors, the brain, neurons etc. Exam questions vary between right answer questions and no wright or wrong answer questions.

Philosophy, on the other hand is more or less essay based and considerably easier; in comparison to Psychology. By the sounds of it, Philosophy is the one more suited to you. If you have time, take a look at paper on both of these subjects. You will soon find out which one you prefer :smile:.

Hope this helps, Good luck!

Where did you get the idea that Philosophy is 'considerably easier' than Psychology? I think that's incredibly untrue, and misleading because they're different style subjects.

Philosophy or Sociology would be a good pick, OP. Look up syllabuses for both subjects and see what interests you more.

Quick Reply

Latest