The Student Room Group

Difference between Audit and Transaction Services

Hello everyone,

I recently completed an internship in Audit at one of the big 4. I've seen a lot of people on here mention transaction services is basically glorified audit. Would anyone know how the two roles differ in terms of your day to day role as a graduate? I'm trying to decide which of the two I should choose for a grad role. Thanks.
Original post by aspiringsmartguy
Hello everyone,

I recently completed an internship in Audit at one of the big 4. I've seen a lot of people on here mention transaction services is basically glorified audit. Would anyone know how the two roles differ in terms of your day to day role as a graduate? I'm trying to decide which of the two I should choose for a grad role. Thanks.

Transaction Services is a term for a broad range of services but in any case, it is much much much better than audit, even for the simple fact that it is not audit.

It includes things such as Corporate Finance/M&A which in the Big Four is basically a mid market investment bank, also valuations as well as some due diligence work (which is the glorified audit you speak of).

I would kill to get from audit to TS so I suggest you do the same (minus the killing).

A lot of people go from Audit to TS after they qualify and stay there (or move on to banking) but you will never see anyone going the other way.
Reply 2
Original post by snakesnake
Transaction Services is a term for a broad range of services but in any case, it is much much much better than audit, even for the simple fact that it is not audit.

It includes things such as Corporate Finance/M&A which in the Big Four is basically a mid market investment bank, also valuations as well as some due diligence work (which is the glorified audit you speak of).

I would kill to get from audit to TS so I suggest you do the same (minus the killing).

A lot of people go from Audit to TS after they qualify and stay there (or move on to banking) but you will never see anyone going the other way.

In reality the bulk is due diligence though no? Hence why they take so many from audit post qual?

OP - bear in mind corp finance take far less people at entry level than audit does, so if you're pretty much open to either than audit is a safer bet.

Wrong. Audit is a safe bet with predictable work. TS is much more dependent on deals volume and the work is less regular and more time pressured.
Original post by Classical Liberal
Wrong. Audit is a safe bet with predictable work. TS is much more dependent on deals volume and the work is less regular and more time pressured.

Safer more predictable yes. But its also some of the most soulcrushingly dull work you'll ever encounter.
What exactly does the due diligence process involve? Is it essentially validating the company's past performance and then forming an opinion on their future performance?
Reply 6
Safer more predictable yes. But its also some of the most soulcrushingly dull work you'll ever encounter.

Disagree. Go stack some shelves then compare that to working with a variety of top brands on a daily basis.

Yes invoice ticking sucks. Yes there is an extortionate amount of admin. But look beyond that, there is interesting work in audit to be had (albeit more on large clients, I often feel that those who work exclusively on small businesses miss out even if they get earlier exposure to the management side).
Original post by M1011
Disagree. Go stack some shelves then compare that to working with a variety of top brands on a daily basis.

Yes invoice ticking sucks. Yes there is an extortionate amount of admin. But look beyond that, there is interesting work in audit to be had (albeit more on large clients, I often feel that those who work exclusively on small businesses miss out even if they get earlier exposure to the management side).

Of course there are other dull jobs too.

I find the fundamental nature of audit work to be boring: you're just checking whether an accountant did their job properly. It has minimal impact on the future of the business. And that is why I don't like it.

Granted some others will but speaking to most people working in Big Four audit, they don't like their jobs and will leave at the first possible opportunity. TS is a very popular exit route.
Reply 8
Of course there are other dull jobs too.

I find the fundamental nature of audit work to be boring: you're just checking whether an accountant did their job properly. It has minimal impact on the future of the business. And that is why I don't like it.

Granted some others will but speaking to most people working in Big Four audit, they don't like their jobs and will leave at the first possible opportunity. TS is a very popular exit route.

You've actually got very good reasoning then in my opinion. This is what I also dislike about audit, rather than the nonsense people tend to complain about.
Original post by M1011
You've actually got very good reasoning then in my opinion. This is what I also dislike about audit, rather than the nonsense people tend to complain about.

What are the usual things people complain about? I've generally found it to be this, plus all the ticking.
Reply 10
What are the usual things people complain about? I've generally found it to be this, plus all the ticking.

Ticking, boring, long hours, pressure/stress, exams, culture, pay.

There's some truth in all of them, but that's the cost of the progression, earning potential, training and experience you gain right?

The value adding one is what gets me to though - I agree it's painful to work on something for weeks just to see it filed away for no apparent purpose other than to cover some partners @ if things go wrong.
Reply 11
I have mixed feelings about audit. I know it can be soul destroying, especially in the first year when you might spend your entire day auditing cash, but at the same time I think that it's importance is understated. Rather than seeing the role as reviewing another accountant's work, I prefer to see it as protecting stakeholders, especially shareholders and employees, from fraud or error.

I also wonder whether it is the best stream to go in to from a prestige point of view and I stand to be corrected on this as this is only a theory! However, in Audit, KPMG, Deloitte, PwC and EY are the unrivalled 'Big 4.' However, in consultancy and tax, they have equals like Bain & Company whilst in Corporate Finance, they are positively mid-tier when compared to the top investment banks. The Big 4 really applies to audit (unless you're Australian, in which case it refers to a chain of campsites...)
Reply 12
Original post by AW1983
I have mixed feelings about audit. I know it can be soul destroying, especially in the first year when you might spend your entire day auditing cash, but at the same time I think that it's importance is understated. Rather than seeing the role as reviewing another accountant's work, I prefer to see it as protecting stakeholders, especially shareholders and employees, from fraud or error.

I also wonder whether it is the best stream to go in to from a prestige point of view and I stand to be corrected on this as this is only a theory! However, in Audit, KPMG, Deloitte, PwC and EY are the unrivalled 'Big 4.' However, in consultancy and tax, they have equals like Bain & Company whilst in Corporate Finance, they are positively mid-tier when compared to the top investment banks. The Big 4 really applies to audit (unless you're Australian, in which case it refers to a chain of campsites...)

In before the Bain consultants lynch you :tongue: Big 4 aren't on par with MBB.

Your point stands though, big 4 are the best companies for audit and I'd argue also for tax. They aren't the best for consultancy (MBB + others) or corp finance (basically all global banks).

However, I think most would agree that big 4 consultancy / corporate finance carries more prestige than big 4 audit. It's a reflection on the industry more than the companies position.
Reply 13
Original post by M1011
In before the Bain consultants lynch you :tongue: Big 4 aren't on par with MBB.

Your point stands though, big 4 are the best companies for audit and I'd argue also for tax. They aren't the best for consultancy (MBB + others) or corp finance (basically all global banks).

However, I think most would agree that big 4 consultancy / corporate finance carries more prestige than big 4 audit. It's a reflection on the industry more than the companies position.

That is a very fair comment. I never actually meant to say 'equals,' I should be careful what I type! I'm not sure if Big 4 stand out for tax either to be honest, they certainly have big rivals in the consultancy world.

I'm confused by the appeal of Big 4 consultancy to be honest. In theory, I could move from where I am (an investment bank) to Regulatory and Risk consulting at a Big 4 firm but if I did the qualification would be the CISI Chartered Wealth Manager programme. This is all well and good but it's hardly the ACA.
Reply 14
Original post by AW1983
That is a very fair comment. I never actually meant to say 'equals,' I should be careful what I type! I'm not sure if Big 4 stand out for tax either to be honest, they certainly have big rivals in the consultancy world.

I'm confused by the appeal of Big 4 consultancy to be honest. In theory, I could move from where I am (an investment bank) to Regulatory and Risk consulting at a Big 4 firm but if I did the qualification would be the CISI Chartered Wealth Manager programme. This is all well and good but it's hardly the ACA.

I think the appeal of big4 consulting is that you get to perform consulting services, and not receiving qualifications. Time you take doing examinations is time off from being able to engage in consulting work. At the end of the day, the best consultants are those who have been able to set correct strategy, improve value and implement large solutions, not the ones who have a qualification.

Tbh, I'd prefer it if big4 dropped their professional qualification policies entirely for consulting and switched to the MBB model -> have short, 'bespoke' training programmes, then trust you quickly into work.
Reply 15
edit: Deleted question
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AW1983

Such as?
Reply 17
Most of the top consultancy firms can rival the Big 4 in tax consulting.
Original post by AW1983
Most of the top consultancy firms can rival the Big 4 in tax consulting.

The big 4 still command a powerful international network which allows them to offer unparalleled advice to multinationals. The only firms that can compete with their network are probably the big banks - and even then - banks are not professional advisers.

Also where do top consultancy firms get their tax people from? Former big 4 partners aren't great because they will have restrictive covenants... Maybe big 4 people who weren't going to make partner?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending