The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Been offered very expensive accomodation???

Hi I've just been offered a room in halls for £6k a year... or £157 per week. iI'm eligible for £3,610 maintenance (living costs).. leaving £3K for accomodation alone plus actual living costs :l I don't think my parents will be able to afford it... what should I do? Try and find private accomodation? Thanks :smile: x
Jeese! £6k? Where were you offered?

Theres a few people on the facebook groups who want to swap accomodation so they might be worth checking out?

There's also quite a few people offering house shares with prices like £90pw, again on the facebook groups, so check them out? I know they're after girls to mix the houses up a bit as well :smile:

What campus are you on and what're you studying?
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Original post by bumble123
Hi I've just been offered a room in halls for £6k a year... or £157 per week. iI'm eligible for £3,610 maintenance (living costs).. leaving £3K for accomodation alone plus actual living costs :l I don't think my parents will be able to afford it... what should I do? Try and find private accomodation? Thanks :smile: x

Hi bumble123,

Check out our accommodation info pages
http://www.brighton.ac.uk/living-here/brighton/brighton-accommodation/index.aspx
There is some info on there about average private rental prices in the area (which can cost less than halls) as well as comparison prices for halls. There are a range of different halls - they range from £105 a week to £164 a week, which is quite a big difference. It sounds like from the amount that you have listed that this is for catered halls. That does cost more than the uncatered options, but on the upside should have a positive impact on your other expenses.

I would recommend giving our accommodation team a ring (contact details on page)
they may be able to tell you more about your halls offer, and if a cheaper choice comes up they may be able to offer you a different room.
They are also best placed to help you find private accommodation if you decide that would be more suited to you. There is lots of househunting activity going on between new students in the campus and accommodation team facebook pages too. If you haven't joined yet, check this out http://www.brighton.ac.uk/current-students/new-students/join-us-on-facebook-or-twitter/index.aspx

Finally, there is some very good info available online about managing your money http://www.brighton.ac.uk/studying-here/fees-and-finance/index.aspx

including extra help if you need it
http://www.brighton.ac.uk/studying-here/fees-and-finance/budgeting-for-student-life/index.aspx

You can get in touch with our student advisors for individual advice too. They are really brilliant and helped me when I was studying here.
Email [email protected]
Tel 01273 642888

I hope this info helps. please let me know if you have any more questions.

Best Wishes
Viv
Reply 3
Original post by University of Brighton
Hi bumble123,

Check out our accommodation info pages
http://www.brighton.ac.uk/living-here/brighton/brighton-accommodation/index.aspx
There is some info on there about average private rental prices in the area (which can cost less than halls) as well as comparison prices for halls. There are a range of different halls - they range from £105 a week to £164 a week, which is quite a big difference. It sounds like from the amount that you have listed that this is for catered halls. That does cost more than the uncatered options, but on the upside should have a positive impact on your other expenses.

I would recommend giving our accommodation team a ring (contact details on page)
they may be able to tell you more about your halls offer, and if a cheaper choice comes up they may be able to offer you a different room.
They are also best placed to help you find private accommodation if you decide that would be more suited to you. There is lots of househunting activity going on between new students in the campus and accommodation team facebook pages too. If you haven't joined yet, check this out http://www.brighton.ac.uk/current-students/new-students/join-us-on-facebook-or-twitter/index.aspx

Finally, there is some very good info available online about managing your money http://www.brighton.ac.uk/studying-here/fees-and-finance/index.aspx

including extra help if you need it
http://www.brighton.ac.uk/studying-here/fees-and-finance/budgeting-for-student-life/index.aspx

You can get in touch with our student advisors for individual advice too. They are really brilliant and helped me when I was studying here.
Email [email protected]
Tel 01273 642888

I hope this info helps. please let me know if you have any more questions.

Best Wishes
Viv

Thanks so much for your help! :smile: I just spoke with my parents and it turns out they'll just be able to afford it - the catered aspect makes things a lot better :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Be Remarkable
Jeese! £6k? Where were you offered?

Theres a few people on the facebook groups who want to swap accomodation so they might be worth checking out?

There's also quite a few people offering house shares with prices like £90pw, again on the facebook groups, so check them out? I know they're after girls to mix the houses up a bit as well :smile:

What campus are you on and what're you studying?

I was offered a room at Falmer (wanted Grand Parade though.. grr). I'm studying Illustration at Grand Parade :smile: What about you?
Original post by bumble123
I was offered a room at Falmer (wanted Grand Parade though.. grr). I'm studying Illustration at Grand Parade :smile: What about you?

Ah fair, seems expensive :/ Mech Engineering at Moulescoomb :smile:
The same thing happened to me :frown: I took the halls because I wasn't able to find private accommodation!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same here ! However, I was on the waiting list because I didnt get uni accommodation before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ADAOBI123
Same here ! However, I was on the waiting list because I didnt get uni accommodation before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How much is yours? Does your student finance cover it? Mine's £144 a week and I'm not even sure that my student finance can cover it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WorldPharmacist
How much is yours? Does your student finance cover it? Mine's £144 a week and I'm not even sure that my student finance can cover it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

£6201 :angry: And no it doesn't lol but my parents said they are willing to help.

I got catered :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:
£6201 :angry: And no it doesn't lol but my parents said they are willing to help.

I got catered :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Same I don't want catered but oh well! Woah that's expensive! Is it en suite because that is actually expensive omgggg

My cousin (his campus is Eastbourne) said that there's a lot of people that are angry because they've now been offered halls but have already got private accommodation...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WorldPharmacist
Same I don't want catered but oh well! Woah that's expensive! Is it en suite because that is actually expensive omgggg

My cousin (his campus is Eastbourne) said that there's a lot of people that are angry because they've now been offered halls but have already got private accommodation...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine isnt en suite :angry::angry:. Its too expensive but my parents prefer university accommodation.

Really ? That's quite unfair. There's gonna be a lot of rooms come september.
Mine isnt en suite :angry::angry:. Its too expensive but my parents prefer university accommodation.

Really ? That's quite unfair. There's gonna be a lot of rooms come september.

Arghh that's really annoying! Mine isn't either :frown: My parents prefer halls as well besides all the nice private houses have gone anyways...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending