The Student Room Group

Santander bank or barclays?

Which bank company is better for student ?

I cant decide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Go in and ask. Like just go into one of the banks and be like "lol im a student tell me why you deserve my moneys"
Original post by zainabbb

I cant decide.

HSBC is better than both of those banks.
Reply 3
Original post by King Max
Go in and ask. Like just go into one of the banks and be like "lol im a student tell me why you deserve my moneys"

Mayn that is effort.
Reply 4
Original post by tehFrance

And why is that ?
Mayn that is effort.

Seeing as your name is Zainab, I assume you are a Muslim.
So:

"And that man can have nothing but what he strives for" (53:39).

You need to get yourself to a bank. It is effort but so is life...

So:

Haha I love this reply :biggrin:
Original post by Afghan Warrior
Haha I love this reply :biggrin:

Not even a Muslim but as they say bismillahir rahmanir rahim lol :wink:
Reply 8
So:

Lol you got a point
Lol you got a point

Good girl.
Reply 10
Good girl.

Still doesnt answer my Q as to which is better santander or barclays

Posted from TSR Mobile
Still doesnt answer my Q as to which is better santander or barclays

Posted from TSR Mobile

Make dua ask Allah for guidance...

In all seriousness though, GO INTO ONE OF THEM AND DECIDE YOURSELF. It's your life. Go live it.
Reply 12
Make dua ask Allah for guidance...

In all seriousness though, GO INTO ONE OF THEM AND DECIDE YOURSELF. It's your life. Go live it.

I am living my life i just needed to know which is better. I have rang both but they are not much help tbqh

Posted from TSR Mobile

I cant decide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Santander give you a free rail card, a £1500 overdraft in years one, two and three, in credit interest up to 3% (up to £2000(?)

Barclays give you an "up to" £2000 overdraft and nothing else. For a guaranteed high-ish overdraft, Id get a Co Op bank instead

No no no no no. If you ask Barclays, what is the best bank, they'll say Barclays. If you ask Santander, they'll say Santander etc.

Really? HSBC hardly seems "worth it" for students. Yeah they give you "up to" £3000 overdraft, BUT most people only get around £1000 I hear, so it doesn't really seem worth it...

HSBC only really seems to be "worth it" for non major foreign currencies, and cheaper mortgages than the rest of the market - or if you have premier banking with them, which I doubt many people here can ever get..
Original post by de_monies
Really? HSBC hardly seems "worth it" for students. Yeah they give you "up to" £3000 overdraft, BUT most people only get around £1000 I hear, so it doesn't really seem worth it...

HSBC only really seems to be "worth it" for non major foreign currencies, and cheaper mortgages than the rest of the market - or if you have premier banking with them, which I doubt many people here can ever get.

I got £750 starting OD with £500 CC until I switched to HSBC Premier (easier to attain that you'd think) and it didn't matter anymore as while I do spend my life on credit cards all of mine are high limits and generally cleared yearly, Amex is cleared monthly.

It's the best UK bank, you just don't get unlimited money like other banks do.
I got £750 starting OD with £500 CC until I switched to HSBC Premier (easier to attain that you'd think) and it didn't matter anymore as while I do spend my life on credit cards all of mine are high limits and generally cleared yearly, Amex is cleared monthly.

It's the best UK bank, you just don't get unlimited money like other banks do.

That depends on your opinion tbh - for benefits, you get different ones from bank to bank. Personally, I see little need for any thing from HSBC BUT HSBC premier
I went with Santander for the railcard and decent interest, since I don't really care about the amount of overdraft, as I won't be using it.
That depends on your opinion tbh - for benefits, you get different ones from bank to bank. Personally, I see little need for any thing from HSBC BUT HSBC premier

This is where we differ, I require high quality service which is lacking at Lloyds and RBS for example and I also need a bank with a large international presence which is HSBC (especially in Asia).

I bank with ADCB (Dubai), Citi (US), HSBC (HK and UK) and Société Générale (Eurozone) all of whom fit my needs perfectly. I'm an OU student with commercial interests not you're regular run of the mill student :tongue:
This is where we differ, I require high quality service which is lacking at Lloyds and RBS for example and I also need a bank with a large international presence which is HSBC (especially in Asia).

I bank with ADCB (Dubai), Citi (US), HSBC (HK and UK) and Société Générale (Eurozone) all of whom fit my needs perfectly. I'm an OU student with commercial interests not you're regular run of the mill student :tongue:

Exactly :biggrin:

The OP is most like a "regular run of the mill student" hence talking about the student accounts :smile:
Exactly :biggrin:

The OP is most like a "regular run of the mill student" hence talking about the student accounts :smile:

But HSBC was still the best bank when I was a student so my opinion that their student account is good stays :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending