The Student Room Group

Student Finance Eligibility?

I have lived in England for 6 years, however I still have a Polish passport. I know I'm eligible for the Student Loan, however I don't know if I can apply to get the Maintenance Loan/Grant because of the fact that I haven't been born in the UK.

Does anyone know if I'd be able to get help with the living costs? It's really worrying me because my parents will definitely not be able to support me during my time at uni next year and my part time job wouldn't give me a lot of money to support myself whilst living in halls as I'd only get about £150 a month (if I kept my current job that is).
Reply 1
Original post by dis0rder
I have lived in England for 6 years, however I still have a Polish passport. I know I'm eligible for the Student Loan, however I don't know if I can apply to get the Maintenance Loan/Grant because of the fact that I haven't been born in the UK.

Does anyone know if I'd be able to get help with the living costs? It's really worrying me because my parents will definitely not be able to support me during my time at uni next year and my part time job wouldn't give me a lot of money to support myself whilst living in halls as I'd only get about £150 a month (if I kept my current job that is).

Eligibility is based on residence and not nationality. As you have lived in the UK for at least three years before the start of your uni course, then you're eligible to be assessed for the full package - Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and Maintenance Grant. That's as long as you didn't come to the UK purely for education e.g. to attend boarding school. If you came over to take up a job, or came over because your parents moved here and you had to accompany them as a minor, then you'll be fine.

You will have to produce proof of residence, such as a letter from a school, a GP with whom you've been registered etc. If you're under 25 then you'll be assessed on your parents' income.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
Eligibility is based on residence and not nationality. As you have lived in the UK for at least three years before the start of your uni course, then you're eligible to be assessed for the full package - Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and Maintenance Grant. That's as long as you didn't come to the UK purely for education e.g. to attend boarding school. If you came over to take up a job, or came over because your parents moved here and you had to accompany them as a minor, then you'll be fine.

You will have to produce proof of residence, such as a letter from a school, a GP with whom you've been registered etc. If you're under 25 then you'll be assessed on your parents' income.

Phewww, that's made me feel better! I had to come here because my parents did when I was 11, and I definitely didn't go to a boarding school. Thankyou! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending